MS Forcing Win 10 Upgrades... help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2016, 09:19 AM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2016 11:32 AM by Heatheness.)
MS Forcing Win 10 Upgrades... help
The other day I saw someone posting in another fo about MS forcing home customers to upgrade to Win 10 by remotely starting the upgrade so when they booted up they couldn't go anywhere but through the upgrade process.

Now my daughter called and said when she started up her computer this morning it said, "Welcome to Windows 10" and she can't get out of it without doing the upgrade.

Can she stop this?

How do I prevent this from happening to mine?

I purchased the Win 7 product because that's what I wanted and I strenuously object to being strong-armed into using a different product. (Kind of like buying a house then to come home and find someone painted it a different color.) This bulldozing of my property makes me very irritated.

Does anyone have any help for this?

EDIT** I do not have Win 7, I have Win 8, that was a typo. Sorry.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
30-05-2016, 09:23 AM
RE: MS Forcing Win 10 Upgrades... help
(30-05-2016 09:19 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  The other day I saw someone posting in another fo about MS forcing home customers to upgrade to Win 10 by remotely starting the upgrade so when they booted up they couldn't go anywhere but through the upgrade process.

Now my daughter called and said when she started up her computer this morning it said, "Welcome to Windows 10" and she can't get out of it without doing the upgrade.

Can she stop this?

I purchased the Win 7 product because that's what I wanted and I strenuously object to being strong-armed into using a different product. (Kind of like buying a house then to come home and find someone painted it a different color.) This bulldozing of my property makes me very irritated.

Same happened to me. I kept saying no, then one day I was starting my computer and it said welcome to windows 10. It did it to my wife last night. After a day of cursing trying to figure out how to get to my files and work it, I have resigned myself to W10. Now a week later I like it as i have gotten used to it. Some of my programs disappeared though, like I had to repurchase CCcleaner, and my microsoft office no longer worked, so i had to repurchase that in a panic as I am taking three graduate courses online and need it. AngryAngryAngry

I dont like how they forced that upon me, but meh

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
30-05-2016, 09:25 AM
(30-05-2016 09:23 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  
(30-05-2016 09:19 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  The other day I saw someone posting in another fo about MS forcing home customers to upgrade to Win 10 by remotely starting the upgrade so when they booted up they couldn't go anywhere but through the upgrade process.

Can she stop this?

Same happened to me. I kept saying no, then one day I was starting my computer and it said welcome to windows 10. It did it to my wife last night. After a day of cursing trying to figure out how to get to my files and work it, I have resigned myself to W10. Now a week later I like it as i have gotten used to it. Some of my programs disappeared though, like I had to repurchase CCcleaner, and my microsoft office no longer worked, so i had to repurchase that in a panic as I am taking three graduate courses online and need it. AngryAngryAngry

I dont like how they forced that upon me, but meh

The MS Office not working is a HUGE issue for me. Sad

30-05-2016, 09:32 AM

Can she stop this?

German IT guy to the rescue! Big Grin

There are two free softwares that can accomplish what you want. One is called GWX Control Panel (that's the one I personally use), the other is called Never10. Let me know if you need help with using either of them. Smartass

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Vosur's post
30-05-2016, 09:33 AM
It sure pissed off my S.O. when they did it to her PC......

I've since locked up my laptop - so it can NOT access the internet......

It'll have 7 on it, till it dies...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
30-05-2016, 09:38 AM
My ancient laptop (running Vista) still has Office on it, just in case. That seems to work fine for me...Internet compatibility was becoming a problem with an old OS. You can't make the leap from Vista to 10 easily, if at all.

I bought a super cheap laptop (Walmart price matched Amazon) to surf around the internet on. That's about all I do on it. It has Windows 10 and I like it pretty well. Sure runs faster and more reliably than my old laptop. My biggest gripe is that the speakers are shit and it doesn't seem to like external speakers...but my headphones work fine.

One of these days I will make a new backup of things like photos and some important documents from my old laptop. I do have an external hard drive to use. Then I will probably delete almost every program from the old one.

I could have upgraded a while back to Windows 8 but my son had done that and it screwed up nearly every program and game he had so he went back to 7.

I am not a fan of being forced to upgrade but there were more and more things that didn't work due to compatibility issues so there really wasn't an option.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
30-05-2016, 09:43 AM
My "old" laptop has ME on it...

I used it on the internet for years -- with no virus protection (hackers ignored it for some reason)-- and never had a lick of trouble with it...

It still works - except the keyboard wore out, and the batteries died......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
30-05-2016, 09:48 AM
WHoo hooo!!!!!

Okay, she already push the NEXT and it took her to the "licensing agreement" she selected "decline" and it gave her a pop-up that said if she declined that they would reinstall her previous program and it might take a while (coercion) and then listed a bunch of positives about Win 10.

She "declined" and it started the reinstall of her Win 7. Banana_zorro

I'll tell you though, this whole business has really put me off MS. Bullies.

Thx for the info and the help though. Heart

30-05-2016, 09:49 AM
I recently bought a new laptop -- with W10. I detest this OS.

It amazes me how MS makes a worse product with each "upgrade". I want my XP back!
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
30-05-2016, 11:25 AM
I'm still using Win 7. If I'm gonna swap, it will most likely be Win 8; I can atleast deal with Win 8.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."