MS Forcing Win 10 Upgrades... help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2016, 11:30 AM
RE: MS Forcing Win 10 Upgrades... help
(30-05-2016 09:32 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(30-05-2016 09:19 AM)Heatheness Wrote:  The other day I saw someone posting in another fo about MS forcing home customers to upgrade to Win 10 by remotely starting the upgrade so when they booted up they couldn't go anywhere but through the upgrade process.

Now my daughter called and said when she started up her computer this morning it said, "Welcome to Windows 10" and she can't get out of it without doing the upgrade.

Can she stop this?

How do I prevent this from happening to mine?

I purchased the Win 7 product because that's what I wanted and I strenuously object to being strong-armed into using a different product. (Kind of like buying a house then to come home and find someone painted it a different color.) This bulldozing of my property makes me very irritated.

Does anyone have any help for this?
German IT guy to the rescue! Big Grin

There are two free softwares that can accomplish what you want. One is called GWX Control Panel (that's the one I personally use), the other is called Never10. Let me know if you need help with using either of them. Smartass

I did turn off the notifications because: annoying as all fuck, a couple months ago. You can do that in the "notifications" place on your computer. But I was worried about being forced into a program I do not want. Thanks for the links!

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heatheness's post
30-05-2016, 12:26 PM
I rolled over let and Win 10 install. Annoying as hell getting all that "App crap" off the desk top. As far as MSOffice goes, I'm using Java OpenOffice. It imports any old MS Office file I have and converts when I save. W10 did not delete my Visio Professional. That would have been a hangng offense, as it costs real money- more than the laptop it is running on.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
30-05-2016, 04:19 PM
And because I saw that coming, I turned automatic updates off, many months ago because I will not have Microsoft force it on me. Until Microsoft proofs to the world that Windows will not become a subscription, I will not upgrade. And once that is proofen (give it another year or two) I will happily upgrade and even pay for it.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
03-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Our IT department (just one guy actually) spent a week turning off the automatic updates on all the computers in our company and reversing the damage to the ones he didn't get to on time, cause some of the software we use doesn't work properly on windows 10.

I got it with my new computer at home and I am okay with it, but of course I did have to spend the first hour or so uninstalling all the crap they bundle with it.

But most importantly for those that have accepted the upgrade...go to settings and "privacy"...

[Image: NbniYcL.jpg]

...and see all the settings they have are ON by default and by "ON" I mean they can basically get full access to everything you do on your computer. Oh look you have an "ADVERTISING ID" how nice for them. Go through each tab on the left and read it. It's important. I turned all the settings off, cause I figured if there is something I need to turn on I can just turn on that 1 setting only, after 5 months it hasn't happened yet.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
03-06-2016, 02:43 PM
Adapt or die

~evolution.

The upgrade kinda sux. I'm gonna go fresh install in a minute.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-06-2016, 02:50 PM
Microsoft has been obnoxiously aggressive with this. I have a Win10 laptop, and it's fine. Not bad. But I prefer 7. Last week I turned on my Win7 PC and it booted into a Win10 splashscreen. I was "the eff is this?" Luckily there was a decline button, and it "reverted" back to 7.

Serious MS, stop being such D-bags about this.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
03-06-2016, 02:56 PM
(03-06-2016 02:50 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Serious MS, stop being such D-bags about this.

I really can't blame MS here. 7 is no longer going to be supported. 10 as an upgrade is fairly decent, 10 as a fresh install probably blows the doors off of 7. Time will tell.

living word
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
03-06-2016, 03:03 PM
I hate being coerced into anything, so I understand.

I got Windows 10 some time ago (not coerced) and I like it. There are videos on youtube showing you how to turn off all unneeded crap that spies or just slows you down, and you can adjust your desk top to look like the one you've had all along.

Now it's fast and crisp and I am happy.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
03-06-2016, 03:04 PM
True Dom, a mofo has to turn a bit of shit off. Almost as if HP made it. Laugh out load

living word
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
03-06-2016, 03:14 PM
(03-06-2016 02:56 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(03-06-2016 02:50 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Serious MS, stop being such D-bags about this.

I really can't blame MS here. 7 is no longer going to be supported. 10 as an upgrade is fairly decent, 10 as a fresh install probably blows the doors off of 7. Time will tell.
Yeah I know why they are doing it, being in the software industry and all. But as a consumer, it's annoying!

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.