MS Forcing Win 10 Upgrades... help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2016, 04:45 AM
RE: MS Forcing Win 10 Upgrades... help
(04-06-2016 04:34 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  They do have that choice and it's a valid choice, they would just have to learn how to use the new OS. I am not denying that. If you are going to stick with Windows though then eventually you will be using Windows 10 just like you hardly see anyone using XP now.

Yeah, that's true. I also really like the move to rolling updates. What I dislike about it is the crap marketing - like forcing the update, changing the X of the upgrade offer pester-box from meaning 'dismiss' to 'I agree', and all the sneaky shit like making Edge the default browser and updates that change user settings. Let's not forget deleting programs without asking users (I report what I've seen on teh net, I'm still on 7 at the moment, so some of it may have been exagerrated) - basically a return to the old aggressive tactics that Microsoft got done for back in the Netscape/IE years.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2016, 04:49 AM
(04-06-2016 04:45 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 04:34 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  They do have that choice and it's a valid choice, they would just have to learn how to use the new OS. I am not denying that. If you are going to stick with Windows though then eventually you will be using Windows 10 just like you hardly see anyone using XP now.

Yeah, that's true. I also really like the move to rolling updates. What I dislike about it is the crap marketing - like forcing the update, changing the X of the upgrade offer pester-box from meaning 'dismiss' to 'I agree', and all the sneaky shit like making Edge the default browser and updates that change user settings. Let's not forget deleting programs without asking users (I report what I've seen on teh net, I'm still on 7 at the moment, so some of it may have been exagerrated) - basically a return to the old aggressive tactics that Microsoft got done for back in the Netscape/IE years.

Yes, I think if they really worked on it and did a lot better job on how to release it, would have been a different story. Of course it's not perfect but it has a lot of potential if they do it right from now on.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
04-06-2016, 06:55 AM
For the average user, like me, windows 10 is not at all hard to get used to. I hate the spying that goes on everywhere nowadays, so I took the time to go to youtube and let someone talk me through turning all that shit off.

I use several browsers for different things, I use them like a filing system. Edge is a good browser, it's sleek and fast. But if you want to stick with the old windows browser (which is crappy imo), it's still there and you can use it instead.

What I also like about 10 is that it is very customizable. Use what you want, turn the rest off.

I don't like that it doesn't ask you to approve further updates, I hate getting on my computer in the morning and seeing that it has re-booted.

Overall, I am quite happy with 10. Fiddling with the new install is about as annoying as getting a new computer. You just have to spend the time to make it yours.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
04-06-2016, 07:00 AM
(04-06-2016 06:55 AM)Dom Wrote:  For the average user, like me, windows 10 is not at all hard to get used to. I hate the spying that goes on everywhere nowadays, so I took the time to go to youtube and let someone talk me through turning all that shit off.

I use several browsers for different things, I use them like a filing system. Edge is a good browser, it's sleek and fast. But if you want to stick with the old windows browser (which is crappy imo), it's still there and you can use it instead.

What I also like about 10 is that it is very customizable. Use what you want, turn the rest off.

I don't like that it doesn't ask you to approve further updates, I hate getting on my computer in the morning and seeing that it has re-booted.

Overall, I am quite happy with 10. Fiddling with the new install is about as annoying as getting a new computer. You just have to spend the time to make it yours.

You can set it to notify you when to schedule restarts for updates.

Open Settings.
Click Update and Security
Click Advance Options at the bottom of the page to the right.
Under Choose how updates are installed set it as "Notify to schedule restarts.'

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
04-06-2016, 07:12 AM
(04-06-2016 07:00 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 06:55 AM)Dom Wrote:  For the average user, like me, windows 10 is not at all hard to get used to. I hate the spying that goes on everywhere nowadays, so I took the time to go to youtube and let someone talk me through turning all that shit off.

You can set it to notify you when to schedule restarts for updates.

Open Settings.

Done and thanks. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
04-06-2016, 07:14 AM
(04-06-2016 07:12 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 07:00 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  You can set it to notify you when to schedule restarts for updates.

Open Settings.

Done and thanks. Smile

Not a problem! Being a computer nerd pays off sometimes lol

04-06-2016, 08:17 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2016 08:21 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(04-06-2016 04:45 AM)morondog Wrote:  

It's Microsoft chasing Google and Apple, but doing so in the worst possible fashion.

For my part, I enjoy Win10, but I also wanted DirectX 12. Even I am hoping the Vulkan API can kick DirectX to the curb in the way OpenGL hasn't, so that I can bail to Linux or Steam OS if I ever need to.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
04-06-2016, 09:17 AM
(04-06-2016 07:12 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 07:00 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  You can set it to notify you when to schedule restarts for updates.

Open Settings.

Done and thanks. Smile

I don't like that sneaky reboot shit, either. I've been fortunate that I was able recover a design drawing that I had been working on for days. I'll have to set that notification up as well. In the interim, I just pulled the internet plug. No honking up my computer while I sleep, that way.
04-06-2016, 12:46 PM
(30-05-2016 09:49 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  It amazes me how MS makes a worse product with each "upgrade". I want my XP back!

I want my MS-DOS 3.1 back.

BSOD..... which has caused many of us to suffer palpitations.....
[Image: S87gQFI7Ua2E53QGtGtILm6kD0p5DDpCL_WwitLg...LrX7k=h310]

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
05-06-2016, 02:27 AM
(04-06-2016 04:49 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 04:45 AM)morondog Wrote:  Yeah, that's true. I also really like the move to rolling updates. What I dislike about it is the crap marketing - like forcing the update, changing the X of the upgrade offer pester-box from meaning 'dismiss' to 'I agree', and all the sneaky shit like making Edge the default browser and updates that change user settings. Let's not forget deleting programs without asking users (I report what I've seen on teh net, I'm still on 7 at the moment, so some of it may have been exagerrated) - basically a return to the old aggressive tactics that Microsoft got done for back in the Netscape/IE years.

Yes, I think if they really worked on it and did a lot better job on how to release it, would have been a different story. Of course it's not perfect but it has a lot of potential if they do it right from now on.

I can adjust to any software, but what I resent is the company's attitude that I am a captive buyer when in fact I'm not. As a businessman, I can say this -- alienating your customer base is not smart. I suppose MS should be happy they have agreements placing their software as default on so many platforms, because if they were exposed to a free market, this approach would certainly be shown in their bottom line.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post