MS Forcing Win 10 Upgrades... help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2016, 02:31 AM
RE: MS Forcing Win 10 Upgrades... help
(04-06-2016 12:46 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(30-05-2016 09:49 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  It amazes me how MS makes a worse product with each "upgrade". I want my XP back!

I want my MS-DOS 3.1 back.

BSOD..... which has caused many of us to suffer palpitations.....
[Image: S87gQFI7Ua2E53QGtGtILm6kD0p5DDpCL_WwitLg...LrX7k=h310]

Yeah, no. Nice try, though. BTDTGTT-S
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
05-06-2016, 04:35 AM
(05-06-2016 02:27 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(04-06-2016 04:49 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Yes, I think if they really worked on it and did a lot better job on how to release it, would have been a different story. Of course it's not perfect but it has a lot of potential if they do it right from now on.

I can adjust to any software, but what I resent is the company's attitude that I am a captive buyer when in fact I'm not. As a businessman, I can say this -- alienating your customer base is not smart. I suppose MS should be happy they have agreements placing their software as default on so many platforms, because if they were exposed to a free market, this approach would certainly be shown in their bottom line.

OSX, Linux, Android, Chrome OS. There is competition, but familiarity and momentum go a long way. Not that it's insurmountable, just look at how Android has taken the smart phone market away from Apple and refuses to give ground to Windows. The most popular web browser has changed hands a few time, has it not?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
05-06-2016, 07:54 AM
I upgraded from 8 to 10 because 10 was closer to 7. I liked it WAY better than 8.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
05-06-2016, 09:21 PM
FWIW, I've liked all my Microsoft products. I run Windows 10 on my Surface 3 and it syncs with my Lumia 920 (Windows Phone) which also syncs with my Microsoft Band. Windows 10 is much more user-friendly and desktop-friendly than 8 was. If you haven't tried it yet, I'd give it a shot.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
06-06-2016, 12:40 AM
(05-06-2016 04:35 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 02:27 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I can adjust to any software, but what I resent is the company's attitude that I am a captive buyer when in fact I'm not. As a businessman, I can say this -- alienating your customer base is not smart. I suppose MS should be happy they have agreements placing their software as default on so many platforms, because if they were exposed to a free market, this approach would certainly be shown in their bottom line.

OSX, Linux, Android, Chrome OS. There is competition, but familiarity and momentum go a long way. Not that it's insurmountable, just look at how Android has taken the smart phone market away from Apple and refuses to give ground to Windows. The most popular web browser has changed hands a few time, has it not?

Fair point, but given the headstart imparted by bundling, the argument could be made, and reasonably so in my opinion -- that it isn't really a free market, insofar as the other PC OSes aren't bundled, outside of Apple's with their own product.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
06-06-2016, 01:50 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 03:43 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(06-06-2016 12:40 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 04:35 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  OSX, Linux, Android, Chrome OS. There is competition, but familiarity and momentum go a long way. Not that it's insurmountable, just look at how Android has taken the smart phone market away from Apple and refuses to give ground to Windows. The most popular web browser has changed hands a few time, has it not?

Fair point, but given the headstart imparted by bundling, the argument could be made, and reasonably so in my opinion -- that it isn't really a free market, insofar as the other PC OSes aren't bundled, outside of Apple's with their own product.

And cheap tablets are bundled with ChromeOS or Android all the time. How many people are going to replace the Android OS on their Samsung Galaxy smartphone with Windows Mobile?

People like Windows, and even if they don't, it's the one they're familiar with. If you have the money to burn, you can pay the premium for OSX. If you're very tech savvy, you can experiment with Linux. If you're poor, you'll get used to ChromeOS or Android. But if you just want something that works most of the time and that most people are familiar and comfortable with? That's Windows.

It used to be that Apple was an entirely closed system. Now they've opened up their OSX and 'Hackintosh' is a thing now (my brother has a Dell laptop running OSX). You can put Linux and Windows on a Apple computer too, because they're no longer using proprietary hardware (they used to use nothing but custom built PowerPC chips for their CPU's, now they use off the shelf x86 compatible parts). At least Windows never locked other OS's out of your machine. If I wanted, I could install OSX, Linux, and SteamOS on my machine. But I don't, because I'm a gamer, and the Windows platform is the most well supported precisely because it is the largest piece of the pie. But I'm rooting for Vulkan to supplant DirectX 12, I use MusicBee and VLC because Media Player is shit, and both Chrome and Firefox are still better than the much improved Edge browser.

I like it, and it works, but I use it on my own terms. I built my own PC, I can put any OS on it that I wanted, and I still went with Windows because it's still the best choice for me and what I wanted to get out of my PC.

06-06-2016, 02:30 AM
(06-06-2016 01:50 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 12:40 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Fair point, but given the headstart imparted by bundling, the argument could be made, and reasonably so in my opinion -- that it isn't really a free market, insofar as the other PC OSes aren't bundled, outside of Apple's with their own product.

And cheap tablets are bundled with ChromeOS or Android all the time. How many people are going to replace the Android OS on their Samsung Galaxy smartphone with Windows Mobile?

People like Windows, and even if they don't, it's the one they're familiar with. If you have the money to burn, you can pay the premium for OSX. If you're very tech savvy, you can experiment with Linux. If you're poor, you'll get used to ChromeOS or Android. But if you just want something that works most of the time and that most people are familiar and comfortable with? That's Windows.

It used to be that Apple was an entirely closed system. Now they've opened up their OSX and 'Hackintosh' is a thing now. You can put Linux and Windows on a Apple product, because they're no longer using proprietary hardware (they used to use nothing but custom built Toshiba chips for their CPU's, now they use off the shelf PC parts). At least Windows never locked other OS's out of your machine. If I wanted, I could install OSX, Linux, and SteamOS on my machine. But I don't, because I'm a gamer, and the Windows platform is the most well supported precisely because it is the largest piece of the pie. But I'm rooting for Vulkan to supplant DirectX 12, I use MusicBee and VLC because Media Player is shit, and both Chrome and Firefox are still better than the much improved Edge browser.

I like it, and it works, but I use it on my own terms. I built my own PC, I can put any OS on it that I wanted, and I still went with Windows because it's still the best choice for me and what I wanted to get out of my PC.

I'm about to try Linux Mint on a virtual machine, from the Documents it doesn't seem too hard to use.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
06-06-2016, 02:51 AM
(03-06-2016 03:23 PM)Dom Wrote:  Actually, windows 10 lets you happily live like you still had 7. It's coming back towards 7 from 8, which was a mess.

If you are on 7 because you hated 8, 10 is going to be a lot easier on you.

Also, they claim 10 is the last one. From now on they will only update 10, no more new releases. Or so I have heard.

And the check's in the mail. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
06-06-2016, 03:28 AM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2016 03:35 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(06-06-2016 02:30 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I'm about to try Linux Mint on a virtual machine, from the Documents it doesn't seem too hard to use.

Like anything else, there will be a learning curved involved. Just getting used to navigation is the first thing. It's what frustrated me with Windows 8 and initially to a lesser extent with 10; in that I knew what I wanted to do, but was unable to figure out how to get the OS to let me actually do it. I still remember the mixed (Windows & Mac) open computer labs back at the Art Institute and watching the less tech oriented majors (fashion, culinary, industrial design) fumble around with not being able to get the Mac's to eject their discs (you needed to drag the disk icon representing the drive on top of the trashcan icon, which then transformed into an eject icon).

Also, this... Tongue

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/fix_computer

[Image: header.png]

[Image: windows.png]

[Image: apple.png]

[Image: linux.png]

"quietly weep" Weeping

[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
06-06-2016, 04:37 AM
(05-06-2016 09:21 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  FWIW, I've liked all my Microsoft products. I run Windows 10 on my Surface 3 and it syncs with my Lumia 920 (Windows Phone) which also syncs with my Microsoft Band. Windows 10 is much more user-friendly and desktop-friendly than 8 was. If you haven't tried it yet, I'd give it a shot.

Colourcraze is back!!!! Smile Smile Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post