MS Forcing Win 10 Upgrades... help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2016, 07:11 AM
RE: MS Forcing Win 10 Upgrades... help
(06-06-2016 03:28 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 02:30 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  I'm about to try Linux Mint on a virtual machine, from the Documents it doesn't seem too hard to use.

Like anything else, there will be a learning curved involved. Just getting used to navigation is the first thing. It's what frustrated me with Windows 8 and initially to a lesser extent with 10; in that I knew what I wanted to do, but was unable to figure out how to get the OS to let me actually do it. I still remember the mixed (Windows & Mac) open computer labs back at the Art Institute and watching the less tech oriented majors (fashion, culinary, industrial design) fumble around with not being able to get the Mac's to eject their discs (you needed to drag the disk icon representing the drive on top of the trashcan icon, which then transformed into an eject icon).

Also, this... Tongue

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/fix_computer

[Image: header.png]

[Image: windows.png]

[Image: apple.png]

[Image: linux.png]

"quietly weep" Weeping

So yeah, wouldn't take too much getting used to this OS.

Here's the desktop:
[Image: Virtual_Box_Linux_06_06_2016_09_05_20.png]

And Start Menu:
[Image: Virtual_Box_Linux_06_06_2016_09_08_36.png]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
06-06-2016, 09:05 AM
I periodically get upgrade messages on my Win 8 laptop but I always X out of them and have never had an upgrade begin on my machine. It think people who have their machine upgraded to Win 10 by surprise received such a message and clicked the accept button.

Life lesson: read before you click

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
06-06-2016, 09:09 AM
No, MS has changed the rules and now the x can mean yes. Sweet of them eh?
I just fixed this using GWX control panel.
http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post
06-06-2016, 09:16 AM
(06-06-2016 04:37 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(05-06-2016 09:21 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  FWIW, I've liked all my Microsoft products. I run Windows 10 on my Surface 3 and it syncs with my Lumia 920 (Windows Phone) which also syncs with my Microsoft Band. Windows 10 is much more user-friendly and desktop-friendly than 8 was. If you haven't tried it yet, I'd give it a shot.

Colourcraze is back!!!! Smile Smile Smile

Banana_zorro

Finished my first year of grad school! Now I have time to hang out with you folks again, debating the merits of Windows Tongue

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
06-06-2016, 09:18 AM
(06-06-2016 09:16 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 04:37 AM)morondog Wrote:  Colourcraze is back!!!! Smile Smile Smile

Banana_zorro

Finished my first year of grad school! Now I have time to hang out with you folks again, debating the merits of Windows Tongue

What a great way to spend free time, why go outside or hang out with friends when you can debate the greatness of Windows Laugh out load Tongue

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
06-06-2016, 09:24 AM
(06-06-2016 09:18 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 09:16 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Banana_zorro

What a great way to spend free time, why go outside or hang out with friends when you can debate the greatness of Windows Laugh out load Tongue

Because my *Windows Surface* is so light and portable, I can! Just take it outside, lay on the hammock, and feel superior. Laugh out load

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
06-06-2016, 10:58 AM
(06-06-2016 09:24 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 09:18 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  What a great way to spend free time, why go outside or hang out with friends when you can debate the greatness of Windows Laugh out load Tongue

Because my *Windows Surface* is so light and portable, I can! Just take it outside, lay on the hammock, and feel superior. Laugh out load

Thumbsup

06-06-2016, 12:37 PM
(06-06-2016 09:16 AM)Colourcraze Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 04:37 AM)morondog Wrote:  Colourcraze is back!!!! Smile Smile Smile

Banana_zorro

You're the chinese white girl right? Tongue

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
06-06-2016, 12:47 PM
Yeah, I was talking about laptop/desktop models. Never used or even shopped for a tablet. I have a smartphone ... which had Win10 bundled.
06-06-2016, 01:08 PM
(06-06-2016 12:47 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Yeah, I was talking about laptop/desktop models. Never used or even shopped for a tablet. I have a smartphone ... which had Win10 bundled.

Good for you. I have 2 tablets and never use them. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post