MSM says "Gay-rights activist rips Bible, mocks teens fleeing room"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2012, 02:17 PM
RE: MSM says "Gay-rights activist rips Bible, mocks teens fleeing room"
Are my morals better? According to whom? According to another human, right?

Do you see where this is going?

Why are my morals objectively better than God's? How can a perfect being be held to a standard other than His own?

God's morality serves His purpose and only His purpose; therefore, instances that are considered "immoral" to us might actually be "moral" to God because of His perfect plan.

If a perfect being (and I accept that God is perfect) commits an act that my morality considers repugnant, I have to accept that my morality isn't moral in that instance (after all, morality is relative, isn't it?).

Even if I do not agree with God's morality and would do the opposite, that does not make my morality better... in fact, it makes me wrong; however, I would not take on God's responsibility to do seemingly morally repugnant acts because I am not perfect nor infinite and could not make a perfect moral decision.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2012, 02:32 PM
(03-05-2012 02:17 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Are my morals better? According to whom? According to another human, right?

Why are my morals objectively better than God's? How can a perfect being be held to a standard other than His own?

God's morality serves His purpose and only His purpose; therefore, instances that are considered "immoral" to us might actually be "moral" to God because of His perfect plan.

If a perfect being (and I accept that God is perfect) commits an act that my morality considers repugnant, I have to accept that my morality isn't moral in that instance (after all, morality is relative, isn't it?).

Even if I do not agree with God's morality and would do the opposite, that does not make my morality better... in fact, it makes me wrong; however, I would not take on God's responsibility to do seemingly morally repugnant acts because I am not perfect nor infinite and could not make a perfect moral decision.

I see where it's going. A refusal to give up the idea that there is a being who exists who has a different standard of morality than what can actually be observed.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
03-05-2012, 02:34 PM
(03-05-2012 02:32 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(03-05-2012 02:17 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Are my morals better? According to whom? According to another human, right?

I see where it's going. A refusal to give up the idea that there is a being who exists who has a different standard of morality than what can actually be observed.
Isn't that appropriate to my beliefs, though? If I gave that up, wouldn't that shoot holes in my theology?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
03-05-2012, 02:48 PM
(03-05-2012 02:34 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(03-05-2012 02:32 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I see where it's going. A refusal to give up the idea that there is a being who exists who has a different standard of morality than what can actually be observed.
Isn't that appropriate to my beliefs, though? If I gave that up, wouldn't that shoot holes in my theology?

Your theology is shot full of holes the second you claim something invisible has a higher standard of morality than that which can be observed.
If Humanity still acted completely like it did 2000 years ago, I'd say a case could be made for what you're trying to propose. God commands gays to be murdered. God commands a girl who is not a virgin on her wedding night to be stoned. God commands his followers to hate family. My point I'm so uneloquently trying to make is, humanity has moved on...of course not fully yet, duh...but we are a far cry from how our
Ancestors treated one another. It's a pretty shaky supposition to say that we as a species have progressively gotten better in the way we treat others, but God's morality remains the same as it was in 1000 BCE when the first inklings of a warrior god were beginning to be believed and worshiped.

I also think it's a cop out to say, "Who's to say that our morality is better than God's." Come on. Really? Are we going to play word games again where you mean something different by morality than I do? Would you stick up for God if he told you to leave your family to serve him? Would you stick up for God if he told you to sacrifice your son? Obviously those sorts of points go on ad infinitum. Yet, when you speak about the way you are compassonate to those the Bible tells us to mistreat, kill, and hate, you are essentially saying God got it wrong about gays, women, children, slaves and people from other religions.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
03-05-2012, 03:12 PM
My thought on this is, if god's morals are so different from our own, why do we worship him? Out of some idea that because he made us, he deserves our praise? He has a "plan" for us, but that involves not telling us anything about said plan and doing all sorts of things that we consider morally unjust... are we sure that this overarching plan of his is something we actually want? Are we even sure that god himself is good? After all, we only have his word to go on - if a convicted murderer said that he was doing a good thing, would we believe him? Of course not.

This idea of a "plan" somewhat makes me think of Emperor Palpatine, from Star Wars. Yes, he had a plan for everything that happened, and people thought he was good at first (in the prequel movies, that is), but that quickly turned out to not be the case. Granted, it's fair to argue that this isn't a fair comparison, putting a being with "different" morality to mankind next to a fictional character with obviously "evil" morality, but still.