MYST

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2016, 11:42 PM
MYST
I first played Myst when I was about ten or eleven. It was a work of art. A fucking work of art. I never got to play the sequels, but I spent many hours exploring the beautiful worlds, solving puzzles and pulling my hair out.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
05-02-2016, 11:44 PM
RE: MYST
MYST is the game that convinced me that I don't have what it takes to play video games that don't involve solitaire. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
06-02-2016, 01:06 AM
I loved them all.

Still have my book of notes for all the games. Especially Riven.

I tried to find other games with same or similar vibe. Nothing really came close.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-02-2016, 02:00 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2016 03:40 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(06-02-2016 01:06 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I tried to find other games with same or similar vibe. Nothing really came close.

They just made one, it's called The Witness. You should check it out, because it's inspired by earlier games like MYST, except it's not shit. Tongue

It's available on PS4 and PC.

Also, I love the crew over at GaintBomb.com and their podcast, The Giant Bombcast (and it's east coast sibling, The Giant Beastcast). It's a mainstay for getting me through my nights at work, and here they are giving a quick first-look demo of the early part of the game, to give you an idea of what to expect.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
06-02-2016, 07:37 AM
That's the only REAL computer game I played as a kid (I was 12). I typically played chess, Sim City, Carmen Sandiego, Oregon trail, minesweeper, solitaire or that mouse cheese whatever game. Oh, and paint, of course.

Hey, look at me posting in the gaming section Cool

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
06-02-2016, 07:41 AM
(06-02-2016 07:37 AM)Nurse Wrote:  That's the only REAL computer game I played as a kid (I was 12). I typically played chess, Sim City, Carmen Sandiego, Oregon trail, minesweeper, solitaire or that mouse cheese whatever game. Oh, and paint, of course.

Hey, look at me posting in the gaming section Cool

We had Carmen Sandiego on a Commodore 64. Tongue

I would like to say the kids loved it...but I think it was me who enjoyed it the most.
Blush

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
06-02-2016, 08:35 AM
(06-02-2016 01:06 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I loved them all.

I tried to find other games with same or similar vibe. Nothing really came close.

I've played a few Myst clones, but they were all pretty bad.

The Witness is the only thing that even comes close to matching the Myst series, IMO. Aside from that, I've played some pretty good adventure games that had sort of a Myst-like ambiance to them: Siberia I & II, and The Longest Journey.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
06-02-2016, 09:20 AM
(06-02-2016 08:35 AM)cactus Wrote:  

I've played a few Myst clones, but they were all pretty bad.

The Witness is the only thing that even comes close to matching the Myst series, IMO. Aside from that, I've played some pretty good adventure games that had sort of a Myst-like ambiance to them: Siberia I & II, and The Longest Journey.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
06-02-2016, 12:51 PM

I did the same thing. I got into Zork for a time.

Tried the 11th hour but my computer couldn't handle it.

Phamtasmagora
and

Gabriel Knight 2

The only reason I played these was because of MYST.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
06-02-2016, 01:20 PM
[Image: n3803k.jpg]

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?