Ma just sent me this article

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2015, 12:41 PM
RE: Ma just sent me this article
(02-04-2015 10:45 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/01/living/dee...index.html

I don't want to cloud your judgement so I'll save my response until later ...and no, I won't plagiarize you thoughts Wink

What's your analysis of the article?

Deepak Chopra is full of shit. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-04-2015, 12:52 PM
(03-04-2015 12:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  Deepak Chopra is full of shit. Drinking Beverage

Those glasses, though. I mean...
[Image: facebook_covers_Deepak-Chopra.jpg]

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
03-04-2015, 01:53 PM
Deepity chutzpah is the John Madden of spirituality
[+] 1 user Likes photon9's post
03-04-2015, 02:14 PM
"I consider skepticism a way station on the way to a higher, more fulfilling kind of spirituality."

It's a way station all right. In a "Last Gas Before The Abyss" sorta way.

#sigh
03-04-2015, 04:32 PM
(03-04-2015 01:53 PM)photon9 Wrote:  Deepity chutzpah...

Laughat

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
03-04-2015, 10:40 PM
I opened the article, saw it was Deepak Shithead and thought, "well there's the problem with the article right there" and closed it. Sorry I can't give you an in depth review of the idiocy I'm sure the article contains, but reading anything by him is bad for my and those around me's health. Censored

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
03-04-2015, 10:58 PM
(03-04-2015 11:55 AM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 07:11 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Chopra talks a lot but rarely actually says anything. Most of article is just generalities that don't mean much. When he does skirt close to a claim, it's wrong, like

They actually cited their source for this one if you click the link behind the text "17%..." I'd love to see the study on this one though. I wonder if the study was done in the bible belt, or Jerusalem, or something like that. The number just seems ridiculous. Almost 1/5 atheists go to church. really? Never met one and I know a good handful of atheists

And how often do they go to church? It doesn't really make a distinction. They go once a year?
03-04-2015, 11:02 PM
Simplistic pablum, nothing more. The way station to a higher, deeper spiritual point is a great line, but it's complete shit.
04-04-2015, 10:24 PM
Ma just sent me this article
(03-04-2015 10:58 PM)BeardFist McFistBeard Wrote:  
(03-04-2015 11:55 AM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  They actually cited their source for this one if you click the link behind the text "17%..." I'd love to see the study on this one though. I wonder if the study was done in the bible belt, or Jerusalem, or something like that. The number just seems ridiculous. Almost 1/5 atheists go to church. really? Never met one and I know a good handful of atheists

And how often do they go to church? It doesn't really make a distinction. They go once a year?

Also a good question

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
04-04-2015, 11:01 PM
Deepak Chopra is the crown prince of Deepity.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Deepity

Deepity is a term employed by Daniel Dennett in his 2009 speech to the American Atheists Institution conference, coined by the teenage daughter of one of his friends. The term refers to a statement that is apparently profound but actually asserts a triviality on one level and something meaningless on another. Generally, a deepity has (at least) two meanings: one that is true but trivial, and another that sounds profound, but is essentially false or meaningless and would be "earth-shattering" if true.

The example Dennett uses to illustrate a deepity is the phrase "love is just a word." On one level the statement is perfectly true (i.e., "love" is a word), but the deeper meaning of the phrase is false; love is many things — a feeling, an emotion, a condition — and not simply a word.

Although he is a frequent source of deepities, the name does not come from Deepak Chopra.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post