Mac or PC? yes I am starting this classical debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2014, 02:18 PM
Mac or PC? yes I am starting this classical debate
Ok I know this debate has been done to death BUT I really really need some advice here folks. I am currently working off of a chromebook, which is fine for casual internet browsing but I really need something that does it all. I have never used a Mac before but I have an ipad and iphone so I do know that much about Apple products. I am in the creative industry and I know Apples can do some pretty neat things but I just don't know. So anyway, I would love to hear some opinions about PC vs Mac.Smile

http://iamtheclosetatheist.blogspot.com/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2014, 02:23 PM
RE: Mac or PC? yes I am starting this classical debate
PC. I like having more control over the hardware in my system. Despite the fact that I had to purchase my first PC in over 8 years I would much rather build a computer from scratch. Its much cheaper to upgrade a PC.

Nothing against Mac's though. They seem to be well built. The OS is built on Unix. You can't go wrong either way to be honest.

I'd just look at your budget. What you are looking to do with the computer. And see what software you will use and which system you are able to get it for.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes riseinside's post
14-02-2014, 02:25 PM
(14-02-2014 02:18 PM)Pearl Wrote:  Ok I know this debate has been done to death BUT I really really need some advice here folks. I am currently working off of a chromebook, which is fine for casual internet browsing but I really need something that does it all. I have never used a Mac before but I have an ipad and iphone so I do know that much about Apple products. I am in the creative industry and I know Apples can do some pretty neat things but I just don't know. So anyway, I would love to hear some opinions about PC vs Mac.Smile

PC/Android.
Done.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 2 users Like Im_Ryan's post
14-02-2014, 02:25 PM
Do you use expensive specialized programs, like Corel or Photoshop professional, etc. or whatever applies to your work?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
14-02-2014, 02:26 PM
Are you a pretentious D-bag who likes to spend 10x the amount of money for less application? Do you self Identify as a "Hipster"? Do you like renting lage books on philosophy from the library so you can sit in a coffee shop and let people think you read them?

If you answered yes to those questions then a Mac is the right choice for you.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 16 users Like Revenant77x's post
14-02-2014, 02:31 PM
(14-02-2014 02:26 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Are you a pretentious D-bag who likes to spend 10x the amount of money for less application? Do you self Identify as a "Hipster"? Do you like renting lage books on philosophy from the library so you can sit in a coffee shop and let people think you read them?

If you answered yes to those questions then a Mac is the right choice for you.

That's what you call truth in advertising.

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
14-02-2014, 02:31 PM
PC. Gaming.

'nuff said. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 6 users Like Vosur's post
14-02-2014, 02:43 PM
My good sir or mam, think of this. One of the best "midrange" Mac Pro's on the market has an Quadcore Intel i7 CPU. It uses a motherboard from Intel aswell. The GPU is a redesigned smaller version of the AMD Radeon 270. This fucker costs around 2400 $. I built my own PC for about 1800. Wanna know something funny? My PC costs less and it still outperforms that Mac in every way. I guess the price jacks up because Apple loves their shitty HD Screen bullshit, but if you end up using more money on a monitor than on key components, well, that's stupid. 1920x1080 is by far enough. And no, iOS isn't better, and who fuck uses that much money on "music" or video editing? Unless you're a Hollywood producer, you don't need that shit. The real way to define a Mac or Apple in general, is to pay more for less. Don't do that.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 3 users Like ELK12695's post
14-02-2014, 03:02 PM
I own both Macs and PCs and I've been a sysadmin in offices that were predominately one or the other.

PCs are far more robust in a couple factors.

1) You can do more with them. Even with the increased popularity of the Macbook, there are still far more developers for PC and Mac software is more expensive in general and less readily available. Things like Office are extremely watered down in the Mac version.

2) hardware: Mac does use some really nice hardware in their computers, but it's not anything that's not available for purchase on Newegg (perhaps not the specific part, but comparable in quality/performance.) If you're looking to put together a powerful system, you're going to be looking at high end gear anyway. As riseinside said earlier, a PC is much cheaper to upgrade. (Do you know how you upgrade a mac? You buy a new one)

The office that I worked in that was 90% Mac was that saturated with Macs not because they were better, but because the CEO was on the board at Apple. The 10% that were PC were that way because there simply was no software solution for their job that was Mac compatible.

As I said, I own a Mac. I only own it because it was given to me as a gift. And it runs Windows 7 fantastically. I think I booted into OSX 10.9 a few times, remembered why I hated OSX, and then installed Windows on it. Great hardware, but not something I'd pay for.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 5 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
14-02-2014, 03:14 PM
(14-02-2014 03:02 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  As I said, I own a Mac. I only own it because it was given to me as a gift. And it runs Windows 7 fantastically. I think I booted into OSX 10.9 a few times, remembered why I hated OSX, and then installed Windows on it. Great hardware, but not something I'd pay for.

[Image: troll-gates.jpg]

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 6 users Like ELK12695's post