Mac or PC? yes I am starting this classical debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2014, 10:17 AM
RE: Mac or PC? yes I am starting this classical debate
(18-02-2014 10:11 AM)Pearl Wrote:  lol!!!! I should have known my question would raise quiet the debate, hahaha love it, yall are awesome and super informative so thank you. Bowing

To be honest I do not know enough about computers to build one myself or to even have someone build me one. So, customizing one is just not something I am able to do or would even know how to do, I really need something that right out of the box is ready for me to go with very little to be done to it in the future.

I am a freelance writer so basically my computing needs are making documents, marketing materials for some clients, and some photo journalism. I don't do online gaming but I do at times watch movies on my puter. Hopefully soon I will be able to take some additional classes that interest me online so a computer that can support the online classroom is a need as well. Thats pretty much it. Smile

You perfectly fit the profile of an Apple computer user. Get a Mac. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2014, 10:21 AM
Both.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
18-02-2014, 10:22 AM
One question you should ask yourself if what your customers use if you need to send or receive documents from them.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
18-02-2014, 10:48 AM
(18-02-2014 10:22 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  One question you should ask yourself if what your customers use if you need to send or receive documents from them.

This was a huge issue in the office that used mostly Macs. Even when we used Office for Mac, there were formatting issues that made beautifully designed documents look like a 5th grade book report with pictures haphazardly placed. It was even worse for the users that insisted on using iWork.

If you do anything in the way of presentations, use a PC. The office I worked at was internationally famous for the presentations we did. Many of you have probably seen one or more. They ALL had to be shown on a Mac because the formatting got completely effed when displayed on a PC. The software simply isn't compatible. (I now know exactly how difficult it is to get a Macbook into Pakistan without it being confiscated)

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
18-02-2014, 11:14 PM
(18-02-2014 10:48 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(18-02-2014 10:22 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  One question you should ask yourself if what your customers use if you need to send or receive documents from them.

This was a huge issue in the office that used mostly Macs. Even when we used Office for Mac, there were formatting issues that made beautifully designed documents look like a 5th grade book report with pictures haphazardly placed. It was even worse for the users that insisted on using iWork.

If you do anything in the way of presentations, use a PC. The office I worked at was internationally famous for the presentations we did. Many of you have probably seen one or more. They ALL had to be shown on a Mac because the formatting got completely effed when displayed on a PC. The software simply isn't compatible. (I now know exactly how difficult it is to get a Macbook into Pakistan without it being confiscated)

PDF's are your friend.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
18-02-2014, 11:29 PM
(14-02-2014 02:18 PM)Pearl Wrote:  Ok I know this debate has been done to death BUT I really really need some advice here folks. I am currently working off of a chromebook, which is fine for casual internet browsing but I really need something that does it all. I have never used a Mac before but I have an ipad and iphone so I do know that much about Apple products. I am in the creative industry and I know Apples can do some pretty neat things but I just don't know. So anyway, I would love to hear some opinions about PC vs Mac.Smile

I use a PC, but I run ubuntu instead of windoze. But, it's not for everyone. ...but for $25 you can have a usable ubuntu machine, if you already have an hdmi TV and a USB thumb drive (see raspberry pi). For a typical user, it really depends on preferences and price point. Mac is easier if you just want to plug it in and never think about it again, but you pay for that not just at purchase time, but with every peripheral and every software package you want to install.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
19-02-2014, 12:28 AM
Hey,i haz a question. If mac users fint they love mac,why don't they buy a pc and install macOS on it? I mean like,there has to be a pirated iso out there,right?

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
19-02-2014, 12:41 AM
(19-02-2014 12:28 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  Hey,i haz a question. If mac users fint they love mac,why don't they buy a pc and install macOS on it? I mean like,there has to be a pirated iso out there,right?

Nope, not that simple. If it WAS, we would ALL be doing it and making a killing busting out all sorts of iPhone apps all over the place.

You can get a Dell Mini10V (GOT to be a "V", not a plain mini10", and install up to the last version of snow leopard onto it (see: "Hackintosh"), and if you find the right downloads, you can program iOs apps on it, but IIRC the highest version of iOs apps you can make with it is 4.0. YMMV if they will work on whatever the current iOs platform is.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
19-02-2014, 04:10 AM
(19-02-2014 12:41 AM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 12:28 AM)Lightvader Wrote:  Hey,i haz a question. If mac users fint they love mac,why don't they buy a pc and install macOS on it? I mean like,there has to be a pirated iso out there,right?

Nope, not that simple. If it WAS, we would ALL be doing it and making a killing busting out all sorts of iPhone apps all over the place.

You can get a Dell Mini10V (GOT to be a "V", not a plain mini10", and install up to the last version of snow leopard onto it (see: "Hackintosh"), and if you find the right downloads, you can program iOs apps on it, but IIRC the highest version of iOs apps you can make with it is 4.0. YMMV if they will work on whatever the current iOs platform is.

i don't think many would do it even if it was easy. I mean the interface is cool and all,but the majority of windows users has already used windows for a really long time and will not change to any other OS because the learning curve of using it. I wouldnt do it because i'm happy using windows xp for daily use and ubuntu to make backups of my harddisks. I'll look into the proces of booting macOSX onto a pc

19-02-2014, 04:24 AM
As it turns out,it's pretty easy to make a bootable OS X disk. All you need is a 8 gb usb drive or a dual layer dvd,and compatible hardware (or the "drivers" made by hobyists)