Mac or PC? yes I am starting this classical debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2014, 07:14 AM
RE: Mac or PC? yes I am starting this classical debate
(20-02-2014 02:05 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  [Image: trashcan-mac-pro.jpg]

One of these black cylinders is a $79 trashcan. The other is an almost-$4000 Apple Mac Pro. Choose wisely.

The Worst Things For Sale

No wonder this guy died; he tried to protect himself with his new Mac Pro:

[Image: 9f6.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
20-02-2014, 07:21 AM
We switched from PC to Mac when our last Dell died and ugly death. While they are a little more expensive it was worth it for the ease of use for my wife and kids. My wife always had a hard time with PC software, but adapted to the Mac stuff no problem. We do not do high end stuff so the software we need to buy was significantly cheaper than the Widows equavalent.
21-02-2014, 06:41 AM
(20-02-2014 07:21 AM)wazzel Wrote:  We switched from PC to Mac when our last Dell died and ugly death. While they are a little more expensive it was worth it for the ease of use for my wife and kids. My wife always had a hard time with PC software, but adapted to the Mac stuff no problem. We do not do high end stuff so the software we need to buy was significantly cheaper than the Widows equavalent.

What did you have to buy?

Web browsing? - Firefox / Chrome - Free

Word processing, spreadsheets, presentations? - Open Office / Google Docs - Free

Image editing? - GIMP - Free

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
21-02-2014, 07:04 AM
People do not know that Windows community is the largest community in the computer world. Therefore, it has the biggest selection of all sorts of applications, and that includes good, free applications.

Whatever you need, there is a free version of it. Legal and free. Just be be clear.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
21-02-2014, 07:09 AM
(21-02-2014 07:04 AM)Filox Wrote:  People do not know that Windows community is the largest community in the computer world. Therefore, it has the biggest selection of all sorts of applications, and that includes good, free applications.

Whatever you need, there is a free version of it. Legal and free. Just be be clear.

Indeed. SourceForge is the first place I check when I need a new piece of software. I trust open source software far greater than corporate software.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
21-02-2014, 07:14 AM
(21-02-2014 06:41 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 07:21 AM)wazzel Wrote:  We switched from PC to Mac when our last Dell died and ugly death. While they are a little more expensive it was worth it for the ease of use for my wife and kids. My wife always had a hard time with PC software, but adapted to the Mac stuff no problem. We do not do high end stuff so the software we need to buy was significantly cheaper than the Widows equavalent.

What did you have to buy?

Word processing, spreadsheets, presentations? - Open Office / Google Docs - Free

iLife it had numbers, pages, and a couple other things. It was like MS office.
21-02-2014, 09:19 AM
(21-02-2014 07:14 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 06:41 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  What did you have to buy?

iLife it had numbers, pages, and a couple other things. It was like MS office.

Yes, yes, but was the document made with iLife compatible with MS Office? Because LibreOffice and OpenOffice are free and completely compatible. Hell, they can ever run .docx and .xslx documents. Can iLife do that?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
21-02-2014, 10:30 AM
(21-02-2014 09:19 AM)Filox Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 07:14 AM)wazzel Wrote:  iLife it had numbers, pages, and a couple other things. It was like MS office.

Yes, yes, but was the document made with iLife compatible with MS Office? Because LibreOffice and OpenOffice are free and completely compatible. Hell, they can ever run .docx and .xslx documents. Can iLife do that?

You can save as office documents and you can open office documents, no big deal so far.
21-02-2014, 11:20 AM
(21-02-2014 10:30 AM)wazzel Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 09:19 AM)Filox Wrote:  Yes, yes, but was the document made with iLife compatible with MS Office? Because LibreOffice and OpenOffice are free and completely compatible. Hell, they can ever run .docx and .xslx documents. Can iLife do that?

You can save as office documents and you can open office documents, no big deal so far.

Basic text and such is pretty easy to make compatible. However, once you get into special formatting, everything goes to shit.

Example: I recently created a new resume. It was divided into columns on the first page where the main column took up more than 3/4 of the width. It had embedded links and a small graphic at the top. It was created on my PC. Later, I checked how it looked using Open office, no problem. Looked at it in Google Docs, no problems. I booted my Macbook into OSX and loaded it in iWork, big problems. The columns weren't the proper proportions, and the text in each column lost all formatting. Bullet points were seemingly randomly placed (seriously, one showed up in the middle of a sentence), the spacing between points was gone and it looked like one giant paragraph, and the items that fit nicely into the smaller column were at the top of the second page. The embedded links showed up as the full URL with the intended text smashed in at the end, and the graphic was simply gone.

This is one example where saving as a PDF is your friend. However the point still remains that if you're using iWork and someone sends you a docx file, it very well may not look anything like how they designed it. Even if you're using a Mac, don't use iWork. Ever.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
21-02-2014, 12:34 PM
(14-02-2014 02:18 PM)Pearl Wrote:  Ok I know this debate has been done to death BUT I really really need some advice here folks. I am currently working off of a chromebook, which is fine for casual internet browsing but I really need something that does it all. I have never used a Mac before but I have an ipad and iphone so I do know that much about Apple products. I am in the creative industry and I know Apples can do some pretty neat things but I just don't know. So anyway, I would love to hear some opinions about PC vs Mac.Smile
PC!!!!!!!! The best for gaming man, period!!!!