Mac or PC? yes I am starting this classical debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2014, 04:04 PM
RE: Mac or PC? yes I am starting this classical debate
(14-02-2014 04:00 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(14-02-2014 03:55 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  20 years? Shocking

I mean, I own more than one PC that is that old that is still in functioning condition, but any software that will run on it is so outdated that it barely gets online.

If it really is the case that you're still using a 20 year old mac, you really don't have a leg to stand on in this conversation. You're like the caveman getting all excited about a round rock you found while the rest of them are busy designing the first horse drawn cart.

"never one problem" I find extremely difficult to believe. If you mean "no major problems", I'd be willing to grant that. Like I said, I have PCs that old that are still in great shape.

The no virus thing isn't a function of Mac being superior, quite the opposite. The reason there aren't many Mac based viruses (they're not software agnostic) is because Macs make up a tiny portion of the user base. If you're writing code that has the sole intent of doing malicious things to as many people as possible, you're not going to target the computers who are 5% of the market, you'll go after the computers that comprise over 90%.

The average Mac will last longer than the average PC, but again, that's not something that is inherently better about the Mac. It has to do with the fact that there are countless PC manufacturers who will often use the cheapest parts they can get their hands on. The PCs I build last just as long as a Mac does because I use only high quality parts.

I'll grant that Mac does make a high quality product. however, it's not so high quality that you can't reproduce it yourself for a much cheaper price.

I have new macs, too, but I still find reasons to use my other older macs, and I've passed a few on to my family, who still use them and they haven't had problems either.

Sure, PCs can be modified and built from scratch, and for more affordable prices, but that doesn't make them better, just cheap, like a dimestore hooker.

Except for that "one" time where mine, my friends and even people on this very forum have more powerful machines for less the price.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post
14-02-2014, 04:06 PM

I mean, I own more than one PC that is that old that is still in functioning condition, but any software that will run on it is so outdated that it barely gets online.

If it really is the case that you're still using a 20 year old mac, you really don't have a leg to stand on in this conversation. You're like the caveman getting all excited about a round rock you found while the rest of them are busy designing the first horse drawn cart.

"never one problem" I find extremely difficult to believe. If you mean "no major problems", I'd be willing to grant that. Like I said, I have PCs that old that are still in great shape.

The no virus thing isn't a function of Mac being superior, quite the opposite. The reason there aren't many Mac based viruses (they're not software agnostic) is because Macs make up a tiny portion of the user base. If you're writing code that has the sole intent of doing malicious things to as many people as possible, you're not going to target the computers who are 5% of the market, you'll go after the computers that comprise over 90%.

The average Mac will last longer than the average PC, but again, that's not something that is inherently better about the Mac. It has to do with the fact that there are countless PC manufacturers who will often use the cheapest parts they can get their hands on. The PCs I build last just as long as a Mac does because I use only high quality parts.

I'll grant that Mac does make a high quality product. however, it's not so high quality that you can't reproduce it yourself for a much cheaper price.

I have new macs, too, but I still find reasons to use my other older macs, and I've passed a few on to my family, who still use them and they haven't had problems either.

Sure, PCs can be modified and built from scratch, and for more affordable prices, but that doesn't make them better, just cheap, like a dimestore hooker.

The cheapness doesn't make them better. Having fully functional software does that on it's own.

You're fun to argue with, Will, but I have to go for the day. Enjoy your Mac as long as it makes you happy and keeps giving you those smug feelings your type so enjoys. Tongue

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
14-02-2014, 04:10 PM
(14-02-2014 04:02 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(14-02-2014 03:52 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Heard it all before, guys, and of course it's bullshit.

Pearl didn't mention wanting to have control over hardware and putting together her own computer, she asked for opinions. She obviously has Mac products and they are far simpler to use and are much more intuitive and user friendly. I've used both systems extensively and it's not even close.

Your argument is "they're stupid people friendly"??
Well duh, of course they're stupid people friendly, only stupid people buy Mac's so they have to be... Dodgy

So you're saying you own one, Muffs?

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-02-2014, 04:12 PM
(14-02-2014 04:01 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(14-02-2014 03:56 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I'm still waiting.

Waiting time is over
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/ap...-Macs.html

Thanks for the link, but I'm still waiting. Smile

----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
14-02-2014, 04:16 PM
Let's face it...
She already has a chromebook, why should she downgrade to a mac?

A chromebook is: user-friendly, fast, has no software, cheap
A mac is: user-friendly, fast, has no software
A windows pc is: user-friendly (since win7/8), fast, has tons of software, cheap, modifiable/upgradeable, has free software alternatives for just about everything
[+] 1 user Likes Vipa's post
14-02-2014, 04:16 PM

How are they better? Explain your argument to how you come to the conclusion that Mac is better then PC.

Here's my argument.

PC's have better:
- Hardware
- Software
- They're cheaper
- You have more control over your own personal property
- Customization (ie: build your own, change around hardware etc..)
- You're not forced to buy from one company
- More competition in all aspects (hardware and software, even OS's)
- Far far better gaming
- Easy (and free) removal of viruses

(14-02-2014 04:10 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(14-02-2014 04:02 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Your argument is "they're stupid people friendly"??
Well duh, of course they're stupid people friendly, only stupid people buy Mac's so they have to be... Dodgy

So you're saying you own one, Muffs?

I have a PC and a laptop. The PC I built myself (which was very easy to do I might add) and the laptop I got for university.

You on the other hand own several Mac's, new and old.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
14-02-2014, 04:27 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2014 04:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
Last I checked, Apple sucks for mobile phone/tablet app developers. You gotta sign a Developer's License which when we ran it through our legal department they just fucking laughed. "Yeah, you ain't signing that." So we target Android. No signatures required. Interestingly, Microsoft is talking about supporting Android on both its phone and desktops. I understand the phone 'cause they ain't gonna have no mobile apps otherwise but I don't see why you'd need an Android app on your desktop. Google supplies a perfectly adequate Eclipse emulator plugin.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-02-2014, 04:31 PM
Got a date with an angel, gotta go.

Yes, you can build bigger more versatile machines with PCs. I concede that point. I'm not a theist, I can be persuaded. But I prefer Macs, always have. If Pearl wants to PM me for my thoughts that's cool, but clearly she will have enough to go on from this thread.

----
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
14-02-2014, 04:31 PM
Hahaha, so Pearl, did you know what you were doing when you started this thread?

You did, didn't you? Tongue

P.S. Apple sucks.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 3 users Like Adrianime's post
14-02-2014, 04:34 PM
(14-02-2014 04:31 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  Got a date with an angel, gotta go.

Yes, you can build bigger more versatile machines with PCs. I concede that point. I'm not a theist, I can be persuaded. But I prefer Macs, always have. If Pearl wants to PM me for my thoughts that's cool, but clearly she will have enough to go on from this thread.

So.. you prefer them because you prefer them?
So.. you're an idiot?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post