Mac or PC? yes I am starting this classical debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2014, 04:36 PM
RE: Mac or PC? yes I am starting this classical debate
(14-02-2014 04:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Last I checked, Apple sucks for mobile phone/tablet app developers. You gotta sign a Developer's License which when we ran it through our legal department they just fucking laughed. "Yeah, you ain't signing that." So we target Android. No signatures required. Interestingly, Microsoft is talking about supporting Android on both its phone and desktops. I understand the phone 'cause they ain't gonna have no mobile apps otherwise but I don't see why you'd need an Android app on your desktop. Google supplies a perfectly adequate Eclipse emulator plugin.

Girly the programmer has spoken. Leave it at that.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
14-02-2014, 04:44 PM
(14-02-2014 04:36 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(14-02-2014 04:27 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Last I checked, Apple sucks for mobile phone/tablet app developers. You gotta sign a Developer's License which when we ran it through our legal department they just fucking laughed. "Yeah, you ain't signing that." So we target Android. No signatures required. Interestingly, Microsoft is talking about supporting Android on both its phone and desktops. I understand the phone 'cause they ain't gonna have no mobile apps otherwise but I don't see why you'd need an Android app on your desktop. Google supplies a perfectly adequate Eclipse emulator plugin.

Girly the programmer has spoken. Leave it at that.

Why leave it at that, when I can corroborate with my own anecdata?

Having spent a fair bit of time hanging around the local university computer science department, I can safely say they are not fans of Apple over there...

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
14-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Mac all the way!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-02-2014, 05:13 PM
(14-02-2014 04:59 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Mac all the way!

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 3 users Like ELK12695's post
14-02-2014, 05:57 PM
I have a right mouse button. I win the argument.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 4 users Like DeepThought's post
14-02-2014, 06:07 PM
I don't even belong in the argument, cus I'm not a computer guy, but I'll toss my two.

My hippy brother in law convinced me to get a macbook pro a couple of years ago, I've been cussing him out ever since. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful machine and the hardware is killer, but it's stupid.

I was talking with my co-worker about it, complaining that I felt ripped off. I said, "It should 'just work', right? Why do they say even idiots can use it and I have trouble?".

His response, "Well, you're not an idiot."

I felt better, but still wish I had a PC.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
14-02-2014, 06:11 PM
(14-02-2014 03:42 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  It all balances out when you compare the amount of money you'll spend on virus protection and subscriptions and repairs. I've had the same Macs for almost 20 years and never one problem, no viruses, nothing.

Look, someone has to stand up for Macs in this thread so I'll fall on the sword.

It all depends on what you want the computer for (go ahead and insert your sarcastic snarky comment here, I lobbed it up there for the common denominators. After all, they are so miserable using their Windoze I may as well give them something to make them happy.) Smile

[sarcasm]SWEET! So with a Mac, you never get a virus? I'd hate to buy such an expensive paperweight and have it stop running all those programs it runs.[/sarcasm]

Its been said though; people hardly even make and sell legitimate programs for Mac, why would they waste their time programming a virus for it when the PC owns the market?

Also, I've never paid for virus protection, and while I've had multiple viruses, they were easily and automatically removed. One was slightly more difficult to remove, but didn't take more than 20 minutes in the whole 15 years I've been using PCs. i have never required repairs, and have always just changed my own parts and built my own rigs.

TBH, Macs ARE effective and stable almost all the time, even for complete idiots.
PCs ARE effective and stable almost all the time, if you aren't an idiot.

For me, it came down to price and software availability. Only Apple zombies, ignorant tools, and people with a specific need/desire for a mac should be willing to pay more for a technologically inferior product that has less support.
[+] 7 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
14-02-2014, 06:17 PM
(14-02-2014 06:11 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(14-02-2014 03:42 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  It all balances out when you compare the amount of money you'll spend on virus protection and subscriptions and repairs. I've had the same Macs for almost 20 years and never one problem, no viruses, nothing.

Look, someone has to stand up for Macs in this thread so I'll fall on the sword.

It all depends on what you want the computer for (go ahead and insert your sarcastic snarky comment here, I lobbed it up there for the common denominators. After all, they are so miserable using their Windoze I may as well give them something to make them happy.) Smile

[sarcasm]SWEET! So with a Mac, you never get a virus? I'd hate to buy such an expensive paperweight and have it stop running all those programs it runs.[/sarcasm]

Its been said though; people hardly even make and sell legitimate programs for Mac, why would they waste their time programming a virus for it when the PC owns the market?

Also, I've never paid for virus protection, and while I've had multiple viruses, they were easily and automatically removed. One was slightly more difficult to remove, but didn't take more than 20 minutes in the whole 15 years I've been using PCs. i have never required repairs, and have always just changed my own parts and built my own rigs.

TBH, Macs ARE effective and stable almost all the time, even for complete idiots.
PCs ARE effective and stable almost all the time, if you aren't an idiot.

For me, it came down to price and software availability. Only Apple zombies, ignorant tools, and people with a specific need/desire for a mac should be willing to pay more for a technologically inferior product that has less support.

[Image: pc_mac_gamers.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 7 users Like Revenant77x's post
14-02-2014, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2014 06:33 PM by rampant.a.i..)
Mac or PC? yes I am starting this classical debate
(14-02-2014 03:56 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  
(14-02-2014 03:53 PM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  It's not much harder to write a virus for a mac. It's not about how hard it is, it's about market share. You want to write a virus that will affect the most people.
Besides that, there are in fact viruses for macs. My stepdad used to use that argument up until he came crying to me to fix his computer.
Guess what happened? He had to buy a new one.

I'm still waiting.

Same here. Have never had a virus, malware, or spyware in 15 years of using the platform.

This doesn't even sound like a virus to me, considering the types of viruses that can survive a clean install are very rare, and seen only on PCs. Not to doubt the story, it just seems wildly unlikely, and I have yet to encounter a PC or Mac virus that couldn't be removed and the machine had to be thrown away.

And as a systems admin, I deal with them regularly.

Personally, I like to spend more time doing what I want to do on a computer, and less time hunting for drivers, troubleshooting application compatibility issues or DCOM errors in RegEdit -- Windows 8 has some serious DCOM errors right now.

As far as "control over the hardware," there's been a full-featured Unix terminal built in since OSX Beta, and an extensive list of programs that will do just about anything you want.

But these are the kind of arguments I run into, often, from people who see that I own a Mac, have used one for short periods, not bothering to learn the OS, and want to whine about it.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
14-02-2014, 06:39 PM
The products of apple are fine, if you don't mind being trapped in the applesphere in terms of apps/content/games/media. But the fact is, equivalent or better products have always been on the market and sold at a cheaper price. I remember when the Ipod came out, and everybody acted like MP3 players/portable media players were a new thing and paid a ridiculous amount for it. I feel apple is a scam, and appeals to the "it's better because it is more expensive" crowd.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 2 users Like Adrianime's post