Mac or PC? yes I am starting this classical debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2014, 06:52 PM
RE: Mac or PC? yes I am starting this classical debate
(14-02-2014 06:39 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  The products of apple are fine, if you don't mind being trapped in the applesphere in terms of apps/content/games/media. But the fact is, equivalent or better products have always been on the market and sold at a cheaper price. I remember when the Ipod came out, and everybody acted like MP3 players/portable media players were a new thing and paid a ridiculous amount for it. I feel apple is a scam, and appeals to the "it's better because it is more expensive" crowd.

Shiny Blink

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
14-02-2014, 07:13 PM
With virtualization now being commonplace, all that matters is accessibility to and potential for upgrading the hardware. "Which OS you want? I got 'em all right here on this one machine."

When you prevent me from even replacing the GODDAM MOTHERFUCKING BATTERY on the device, you just might be the AntiChrist. ... Did I mention Apple fucking sucks.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-02-2014, 07:15 PM
(14-02-2014 07:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  With virtualization now being commonplace, all that matters is accessibility to and potential for upgrading the hardware. "Which OS you want? I got 'em all right here on this one machine."

When you prevent me from even replacing the GODDAM MOTHERFUCKING BATTERY on the device, you just might be the AntiChrist.

Yeah, non-replaceable batteries are a turrible idea. We live in an age when 8 hour batteries last 1 hour, and stop charging after a year or two.
14-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Wait, you can't even replace the battery on a Mac?

[Image: 1156706-roflcopter9grpm2.png]

Why do people buy that crap?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
14-02-2014, 07:25 PM
(14-02-2014 07:16 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why do people buy that crap?

Because their hippie brother in law talks them into it. Dodgy

(he's not even a hippie, he's a really good dude, but I had to call him something)

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
14-02-2014, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2014 10:50 PM by EvolutionKills.)
Apples used to have a particular set of advantages and disadvantages. They used to make really nice dedicated machines for video editing, and their OS handled graphic editing programs (like Photoshop) much better than their PC contemporaries. My dad who is a video producer used to have an Apple built rig at work that would let him work with and edit video in real time in a way that no comparably built PC based machine could at the time, because the Apple had dedicated proprietary hardware built into it specifically for that purpose. Another big advantage was their stable OS and the lack of security problems that plagued PC, but even this no longer really applies.

Apple has moved their desktop platforms away from their own proprietary hardware and towards something very much more PC like, as they now use off-the-shelf PC components like Nvidia and ATI graphics cards and Intel CPU's instead of all of the custom built stuff they had before (not that they lowered the price on their machines any). Also as their platform has gained traction it has become the target of hackers just like the PC. The reason it never had very many problems before is mostly do to it having such a small user-base that nobody gave a shit to attack the platform, rather than any inherent superiority in their OS. Also take into account that more and more PC users than ever are not using Intersex Exploiter (also known as Internet Explorer) in favor of browsers that are not just and extension of the OS (Firefox, Chrome) and thus have less exploitable back-doors into the OS itself.

Apple computer are now more than ever more like their PC counterparts, with a few exceptions. They no longer run the Adobe suite of software any better (and a $3000 PC will be more powerful and run them better than a $3000 Apple will), because they're now just PC's with a proprietary OS. You simply pay at lot more for what you get, it's nowhere near as compatible, and if you ever dare to open the case and mess with the insides you are forever haunted by the ghost of Steve Jobs.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
14-02-2014, 11:25 PM
I have tried everything on for size and have settled on a Mac for the last few years. Macs are same/inferior in so many ways except the one that really matters to me. When I was PC I'd get so many prints back where the tone was off (nothing makes my eye twitch like ugly colour, my one 'thing' is my accurate colour vision) and I'd have to recalibrate my screens (became too big overhead cost and tedious time consuming). Since having my mac I've only calibrated once or twice since purchase, and only to just check-up. Prints have all been fine since.

The battery has been fine for over 2 years now, but the parts are too expensive... my brothers dog chewed the power cord one day and that cost the price of a small PC laptop or 2 orders of good sushi -whichever is more hipster to say Tongue LOLZ. (That was a bad day Sadcryface )
14-02-2014, 11:47 PM
(14-02-2014 10:45 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Apples used to have a particular set of advantages and disadvantages. They used to make really nice dedicated machines for video editing, and their OS handled graphic editing programs (like Photoshop) much better than their PC contemporaries. My dad who is a video producer used to have an Apple built rig at work that would let him work with and edit video in real time in a way that no comparably built PC based machine could at the time, because the Apple had dedicated proprietary hardware built into it specifically for that purpose. Another big advantage was their stable OS and the lack of security problems that plagued PC, but even this no longer really applies.

Apple has moved their desktop platforms away from their own proprietary hardware and towards something very much more PC like, as they now use off-the-shelf PC components like Nvidia and ATI graphics cards and Intel CPU's instead of all of the custom built stuff they had before (not that they lowered the price on their machines any). Also as their platform has gained traction it has become the target of hackers just like the PC. The reason it never had very many problems before is mostly do to it having such a small user-base that nobody gave a shit to attack the platform, rather than any inherent superiority in their OS. Also take into account that more and more PC users than ever are not using Intersex Exploiter (also known as Internet Explorer) in favor of browsers that are not just and extension of the OS (Firefox, Chrome) and thus have less exploitable back-doors into the OS itself.

Apple computer are now more than ever more like their PC counterparts, with a few exceptions. They no longer run the Adobe suite of software any better (and a $3000 PC will be more powerful and run them better than a $3000 Apple will), because they're now just PC's with a proprietary OS. You simply pay at lot more for what you get, it's nowhere near as compatible, and if you ever dare to open the case and mess with the insides you are forever haunted by the ghost of Steve Jobs.

We've always had Mac computers here. I really believe that our next computer will be a PC. The new iMacs don't even have cd drive.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

15-02-2014, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2014 12:16 AM by earmuffs.)
(14-02-2014 11:25 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I have tried everything on for size and have settled on a Mac for the last few years. Macs are same/inferior in so many ways except the one that really matters to me. When I was PC I'd get so many prints back where the tone was off (nothing makes my eye twitch like ugly colour, my one 'thing' is my accurate colour vision) and I'd have to recalibrate my screens (became too big overhead cost and tedious time consuming). Since having my mac I've only calibrated once or twice since purchase, and only to just check-up. Prints have all been fine since.

The battery has been fine for over 2 years now, but the parts are too expensive... my brothers dog chewed the power cord one day and that cost the price of a small PC laptop or 2 orders of good sushi -whichever is more hipster to say Tongue LOLZ. (That was a bad day Sadcryface )

That sounds like a screen thing though which can be solved with getting a newer/better monitor.
I use an old TV for my PC as a monitor and when I photoshop stuff and do designs and such it always appears different on my laptop compared to my PC (it's correct tone on my laptop, falsely bright on my TV.).
If I used a better TV or an actual computer monitor it would appear true and I wouldn't have to change anything on my PC.

Quote:We've always had Mac computers here. I really believe that our next computer will be a PC. The new iMacs don't even have cd drive.

Personally not having a CD drive doesn't bother me. Everything is download/upload now.
If I want a game it's either illegally pirate (download) or Steam (download).
Music is all downloaded. Movies and TV are all downloaded.

I can't remember the last time I used my CD drive actually.
But yea I do see how it can be annoying to not have one.

edit: Just opened my CD drive to see if anything was in there. Guild Wars 2 was in there. So whenever that came out, the day it came out (the same day I installed it on my laptop) is the last day I used my CD drive. 28th August 2012.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
15-02-2014, 12:16 AM
(15-02-2014 12:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(14-02-2014 11:25 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I have tried everything on for size and have settled on a Mac for the last few years. Macs are same/inferior in so many ways except the one that really matters to me. When I was PC I'd get so many prints back where the tone was off (nothing makes my eye twitch like ugly colour, my one 'thing' is my accurate colour vision) and I'd have to recalibrate my screens (became too big overhead cost and tedious time consuming). Since having my mac I've only calibrated once or twice since purchase, and only to just check-up. Prints have all been fine since.

That sounds like a screen thing though which can be solved with getting a newer/better monitor.
I use an old TV for my PC as a monitor and when I photoshop stuff and do designs and such it always appears different on my laptop compared to my PC (it's correct tone on my laptop, falsely bright on my TV.).
If I used a better TV or an actual computer monitor it would appear true and I wouldn't have to change anything on my PC.

Was more than one PC, more than one good monitor. My co-workers were finding the same as well, ratio is something like 8.5/10 in the field. I held onto my PC the longest in my group except one who still has hers (and brings her little calibrating doo-hickey with her wherever she goes).
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post