Mac or PC? yes I am starting this classical debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2014, 12:35 AM
RE: Mac or PC? yes I am starting this classical debate
(15-02-2014 12:16 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  Was more than one PC, more than one good monitor. My co-workers were finding the same as well, ratio is something like 8.5/10 in the field. I held onto my PC the longest in my group except one who still has hers (and brings her little calibrating doo-hickey with her wherever she goes).

Even at the Art Institute, printing was the last hold out for the Macs. If I was in a class where a project needed to be professionally printed for class, I'd double check it on a Mac first. Other than that, I was using the PC's because back then Steam didn't run on them. Kinda hard to take a Level Design class on the Unreal Engine or Source Engine if it's not native to the Mac platform. Also back then 3D Studio Max and Maya were split, each one being platform specific; and I worked with 3DS Max.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2014, 12:46 AM
Macs are literally for stupid college twats.

I don't see a point in paying SO MUCH MORE money for a computer that's going to encourage me to slay my companions and beat my spouse, when I could buy a PC and live quite contently.
[+] 3 users Like Ferdinand's post
15-02-2014, 12:54 AM
I've been stuck with Macbooks since freshman year of highschool. This one had its motherboard fried just before the warranty went out and got it replaced, but it is now uncovered. Once it goes kaputz again, I'm switching to a PC. I'm very much a gamer and Macs are indisputably significantly shittier at gaming than PCs. Thank god my Macbook can at least run TF2.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
15-02-2014, 01:01 AM
(15-02-2014 12:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:We've always had Mac computers here. I really believe that our next computer will be a PC. The new iMacs don't even have cd drive.

Personally not having a CD drive doesn't bother me. Everything is download/upload now.
If I want a game it's either illegally pirate (download) or Steam (download).
Music is all downloaded. Movies and TV are all downloaded.

I can't remember the last time I used my CD drive actually.
But yea I do see how it can be annoying to not have one.

edit: Just opened my CD drive to see if anything was in there. Guild Wars 2 was in there. So whenever that came out, the day it came out (the same day I installed it on my laptop) is the last day I used my CD drive. 28th August 2012.

I use mine, when I'm not allowed to watch tv because the kids are busy playing games and I want watch something.

And for the price point at $2000 bucks I want a damn disk thingy. I dont want to spend more on that crap. Especially when I can buy a pc for a quarter the price and if something breaks I can just replace the broken part and not have to ditch the whole system.

And I'm saying all this as a former hard core apple nut.

I still love my iPhone and iPad tho, iPod too. But Mac computers I'm done with them.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-02-2014, 04:43 AM
(15-02-2014 12:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Personally not having a CD drive doesn't bother me. Everything is download/upload now.

I built a new PC in November. I thought I could re-use an old DVD drive but it had the wrong connectors. I had to buy a new one just to install the operating systems (Windows 7 and Linux) and haven't used it since.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
15-02-2014, 05:41 AM
Its simple.
Instead of crashing sometimes on 90% of the worlds software, macs just don't execute them at all.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
15-02-2014, 07:21 AM

Sorry, couldn't help myself! Carry-on gents and ladies carry-on!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-02-2014, 07:28 AM
(15-02-2014 07:21 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  

Sorry, couldn't help myself! Carry-on gents and ladies carry-on!

But PC's suck less since I can reformat Windows 7 whenever it dumps out.

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
15-02-2014, 07:50 AM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2014 07:55 AM by DLJ.)
I recently bought an ASUS transformy thing ($12,000) so apparently I now have 3 in 1.

All I've done with the tablet/android part is delete bloatware (I've not owned a tablet before so I've no idea what to do with it).

Things, like menus, pop-up from odd parts of the screen when I don't want them to and if try to make that happen on purpose... nothing!

All I've done with the PC part is to change the colour scheme so everything is almost unreadable and I can't find a way of changing it back.

I don't even have email so no one from the office can communicate with me. It's excellent!

(except for not being able to play internet backgammon anymore).

15-02-2014, 07:59 AM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2014 08:05 AM by Hafnof.)
This argument is as dead as vi versus emacs. Mac versus PC more or less became irrelevant when the major use of a computer became web browsing, and the interesting debate moved to iOS vs android... which itself is pretty much dead. The interesting thing will be what comes along to sweep up the mess that has been created over the last few years and provides a ubiquitous computing environment. My money's on Android coming in from the bottom up - but I haven't ruled out Windows sorting out its shit and starting to make some progress here and there.

The answer to any A vs B question in technology is always: Buy whatever your friends are using. It's them you'll go to for support and help. Buy what they know.

Edit:
DLJ - My last tablet cost me around $350 dollars. My last computer upgrade was about $1k. I don't think I could find a way to spend $12k without fitting out a proper rack and patch panel solution Wink

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.