Mac or PC? yes I am starting this classical debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2014, 08:22 AM
RE: Mac or PC? yes I am starting this classical debate
(15-02-2014 07:59 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  This argument is as dead as vi versus emacs.

That's only because vi is obviously superior Tongue

(assuming you use it in combination with screen of course)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
15-02-2014, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 15-02-2014 08:58 AM by DLJ.)
(15-02-2014 07:59 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  ...
DLJ - My last tablet cost me around $350 dollars. My last computer upgrade was about $1k. I don't think I could find a way to spend $12k without fitting out a proper rack and patch panel solution Wink

HK$. Due to a quirk of the exchange rate at the time, it was around US$1,100.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
15-02-2014, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2014 09:18 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(15-02-2014 07:59 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  This argument is as dead as vi versus emacs...

VI?

Did someone just say 'virtual intelligence'?

[Image: 716px-Mira.png]

Tongue

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
15-02-2014, 11:53 PM
(14-02-2014 07:15 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  
(14-02-2014 07:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  With virtualization now being commonplace, all that matters is accessibility to and potential for upgrading the hardware. "Which OS you want? I got 'em all right here on this one machine."

When you prevent me from even replacing the GODDAM MOTHERFUCKING BATTERY on the device, you just might be the AntiChrist.

Yeah, non-replaceable batteries are a turrible idea. We live in an age when 8 hour batteries last 1 hour, and stop charging after a year or two.

I haven't found that to be the case with my 2009 MacBook Pro. I'm sure it's a problem if you buy cheap hardware.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
16-02-2014, 12:04 AM
(15-02-2014 07:59 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  This argument is as dead as vi versus emacs. Mac versus PC more or less became irrelevant when the major use of a computer became web browsing, and the interesting debate moved to iOS vs android... which itself is pretty much dead. The interesting thing will be what comes along to sweep up the mess that has been created over the last few years and provides a ubiquitous computing environment. My money's on Android coming in from the bottom up - but I haven't ruled out Windows sorting out its shit and starting to make some progress here and there.

The answer to any A vs B question in technology is always: Buy whatever your friends are using. It's them you'll go to for support and help. Buy what they know.

Edit:
DLJ - My last tablet cost me around $350 dollars. My last computer upgrade was about $1k. I don't think I could find a way to spend $12k without fitting out a proper rack and patch panel solution Wink

The future is likely to return to Dumb Terminal computing. One of the only things holding us back from cloud-based computing currently is bandwidth, and the stranglehold of cell service providers who charge an arm and a leg for fees.

Windows 8 isn't bad, it's just full of bugs that MS crowd sources to their consumers to fix. The people scream-crying how Macs "suck" because they're expensive don't get that Apple's buisiness model has always been to design an OS and hardware that work together seamlessly, test it, and market it for a premium.

Personally, I'm willing to fork over the extra dough to not have to always be tinkering with and fixing a PC.

Oh, and that Microsoft stifles innovation. All the new tablets coming out, and to some extent the issues with Windows 8, were a result of MS rushing to regain market shares lost due to the iPad.

http://www.itbusiness.ca/news/former-mic...tion/12405

The lack of software, especially games on the Mac platform is overstated, and largely due to Microsoft buying out our best developers:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bungie

But, hey, the majority of people aren't even aware that Windows is the most common OS due more to buisiness practices than quality, and people who've only run Windows machines think they're experts on Apple.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
16-02-2014, 12:09 AM (This post was last modified: 16-02-2014 12:13 AM by Alex_Leonardo.)
Ugh, I've heard this argument so many times, I sometimes wish that apple and microsoft would merge to become a super-monopoly.
(And also hire the linux devs and buy linux.)
I prefer microsoft, because it's so mainstream and a lot of alpha games usually work on microsoft first, since it's the majority.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
17-02-2014, 01:30 AM
PC, I run Windows for my gaming needs and everything else goes on Linux. Hopefully one of these days I won't even need MS for it. Apple, I had a MacBook Pro and can't help but think it's overpriced as hell.
17-02-2014, 02:40 AM
In my case, Linux is the order of the day (so PC). It runs most of the games I play (I'm lucky in that even the ones that aren't yet have a decent chance of being ported.)

Also a bit of a tinkerer (evidence: I actually LOVED running Gentoo.)

Really, the best platform depends what you need. Something that "just works?" Probably Mac (though some Linux distros are getting close now.) Gaming? windows... For the moment. Software development? Quite possibly Linux (trivial to get access to it, Qt toolkit is in wide use thanks to KDE. Servers, Linux hands down, any serious heavy duty work, Linux or Unix.

basic "just need basic stuff usage? Linux is actually probably workable here too.

Security? Linux. No OS is invulnerable, of course, but the fact that Linux is so easily kept up to date (package management is s godsend, and available on most distros by default) really helps here, as vulnerabilities tend not to hang around long (excepting things like routers which is largely because they're stupidly not designed to be updated). I do keep a virus scanner handy for Linux (*especially Android devices!*) but a once-weekly checkup is usually all that's needed.
[+] 1 user Likes affirmedatheist's post
17-02-2014, 06:24 AM
I generally run Ubuntu Linux at home. That gives me my web browser, programmer IDEs, Steam games, mass storage solution, squid proxy to spy on what my kids are looking up online, etc. Even vi. There's not much more to want than that really.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
18-02-2014, 10:11 AM
lol!!!! I should have known my question would raise quiet the debate, hahaha love it, yall are awesome and super informative so thank you. Bowing

To be honest I do not know enough about computers to build one myself or to even have someone build me one. So, customizing one is just not something I am able to do or would even know how to do, I really need something that right out of the box is ready for me to go with very little to be done to it in the future.

I am a freelance writer so basically my computing needs are making documents, marketing materials for some clients, and some photo journalism. I don't do online gaming but I do at times watch movies on my puter. Hopefully soon I will be able to take some additional classes that interest me online so a computer that can support the online classroom is a need as well. Thats pretty much it. Smile

http://iamtheclosetatheist.blogspot.com/