"Mad As Hell" Podcast

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2010, 11:34 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2010 11:39 PM by ebilekittae.)
"Mad As Hell" Podcast
Maybe I'm secretly a vehement person on the inside, but I felt like I needed one of these. =P

I'm sure that a lot of you guys know about this podcast since you're on the site that made it, but for those of you who don't here's a link to the YouTube video of it.

Basically, this is essentially the same as the "funny comments by theists in your life" only less funny and more antagonizing. Obviously, we should keep it as civil as possible. I just felt this was a better solution than me making a hundred rant topics in the future. =P

---

So, I'll start off with something I'm sure most of us with religious backgrounds can relate to. More and more and more statuses are popping up on all of my family's pages (and thus my news feed) about (this has been a favourite lately):

Quote:"For His ... eternal power and divine nature, [have] been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world ... So they are without excuse. For although they knew God, they did not honor Him as God ... they became foolish in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened. ... And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a worthless mind..." -Romans 1:20-21, 28

So I just kind of ignore it and whatever. It's on their page, it's their business. I obviously disagree, but I'm not confrontational enough to go out and start an argument on their own page about it. This kind of thing goes on for more than a week and I get irritated, knowing that they're obviously directed at me (the while they always updated their status updates with verses before, they hadn't been anti-atheistic until I came out). I decided to vent a bit on my page and posted a link to this picture:

[Image: 2283319dd6c44721d1e45e6c6a45dc48_0.jpg]

It's a funny thing and it's not even offensive (I thought). Immediately my dad jumps in on me with

Quote:"Your right son. A trillion years from now if there is no God, things will still ultimately have no purpose, and make no sense to those who wonder the same thing in another trillion years, and another trillion years, and another trillion years....."

obviously showing his lack of grasp on what circular reasoning actually is. He's my dad and I love him, so I ignored his mockery and treated it like a legitimate question, responding with.

Quote:Oh, by all means if it's a problem over purpose, I have a great link for you! http://www.examiner.com/atheism-in-phila...se-of-life

Or if it's a problem of making sense out of the evidence collected, I suggest even watching videos on YouTube. Potholer54 has a great "Made Easy" series. =)

He reasserted himself with the following:

Quote:With this Naturalism reasoning, I bid you to have as much fun now as you can because you are chance tissue that will cease forever with no hope, but there is hope my son if you let go of your selfish pride and repent, God says He will forgive you and restore you. I love you my son, and I'm praying for you.

Now I personally found this pretty offensive. I don't see myself as a selfish nor a prideful person, on top of the false assertion that we as atheists have no hope in life. With my brother and my cousin "liking" his offensive post, I grew irritated and defended myself:

Quote:Thanks? =P

It's cool, and I love you, too! Life is truly amazing, none of that has changed, but perhaps has been magnified. Neither the fear of damnation nor the greed of eternal life have any bearing over my actions any longer. I hope just as strongly that you'll see the deception you've been bound into.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." -Stephen Roberts

Finally, he shot back with:

Quote:Sorry my son, too late , I know Him and have seen He is good. Every day He shows His greatness in my life. Every day. And I can never forget the grace He has toward me. How could I ever exchange the GIFT of eternal life with my Lord who gave all for me, for the self deception of sin for a season, which ultimately leaves a person empty. I don't fear damnation anymore either but it is for a totally different reason, because I have been bought with a price and I gladly serve the one and only true and righteous God of the universe. I hope all is well with you my son and will pray for your safety. I pray you will put as much time and study into seeking God as you have to distance yourself from Him, but remember no matter how far you walk from Him, it's only one step back to Him.
It's 12:21 here so I'm gonna hit the hay now. I love you son have a great day.
Love, Pa

He also posted this as his Facebook status:

Quote:I really LOVE my Christian Brothers and Sisters, This freedom in Christ is more than I could have ever hoped for in my wildest dreams. You have gladly reached out in our financial distress, and in our tears you have been such a comfort to us calling us and wrapping your selves and your prayers around us. I truly couldn't think of anything better than your TRUE love from Christ.

Seeing that "TRUE love" in that status with "TRUE" obviously being the focus, being differentiated from "FALSE" love which I can't help but shake thinking was a jab at me. This broke my heart and enraged me that my dad has been SO deceived that he rejects that his OWN SON loves him... that makes me "Mad As Hell".

The fact that everyone's allowed to post INCREDIBLY confrontational material on their statuses and it's okay, but I can't even post a funny picture on my own wall without getting told I'm completely wrong without any evidence supporting the claim by my own family!

What about you guys? What's eating you?

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2010, 07:14 AM
RE: "Mad As Hell" Podcast
I just read you're post and concluded that nothing is eating me. I've got no problems. Wife is great, kids are great, dog is great, I'm on vacation this week (not going anywhere but not working), taking my youngest son to his first baseball game tomorrow and everything is wonderful.

Nothing clears the mind better than a little perspective.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
25-08-2010, 07:51 AM
Sorry to hear (read) about that Levi. For this reason, I hate facebook. I use it far too much, and get much of the same crap. Although I haven't had too many exchanges quite like yours, but it gets my blood boiling. I usually ignore the verses because most of the time they're not aimed at me (and that is one word of advice - try to keep it in check because they're not always aimed at you specifically) and I don't usually feel like starting an argument.

But sure enough if I post one innocent little thing like, say, a youtube link to George Carlin's "Religion is Bullshit" bit - whoa nelly, here we go. I got one friend who commented "I saw that show live, boy I'm glad I didn't pay for tickets - comedians are supposed to be funny." Then another friend notes that I posted my link on the same day my wife posted some lyrics to a gospel song, and he asks "how are you two married?!" Then here comes the kicker - my wife comes on and comments "well it's a strained relationship, but God is good and all is well in my soul." Holy fucking hell. I replied and deleted at least 3 comments before I stuck with "how can all be well in your soul when a) you don't have any reason to believe you have a soul and b) you just admitted that you have a strained relationship with your husband?" and no further responses.

Now, I take some comfort in the fact that I kept my response civil - including ignoring my other friend who said the "comedians are supposed to be funny" thing. I posted the link, I shared it, I made it open for commenting. Fair enough if you voice your opinion on it. But if I were to comment on a Bible verse with something innocent and civil like "prove it" then I'd get jumped on with both Bible barrels blasting from all good Christian soldiers.

Facebook (and any similar sites) are difficult for me, as I'm friends with a large chunk of my family (several of whom I haven't officially come out as atheist with). So I usually just ignore all the religious crap. But I'm thinking of voicing more of my own stuff sooner or later - I just doubt it'll actually achieve much of anything except to get other people "mad as hell." Big Grin

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
25-08-2010, 08:30 AM
(25-08-2010 07:14 AM)BnW Wrote:  I just read you're post and concluded that nothing is eating me. I've got no problems. Wife is great, kids are great, dog is great, I'm on vacation this week (not going anywhere but not working), taking my youngest son to his first baseball game tomorrow and everything is wonderful.

Inspired. See new thread!!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
27-08-2010, 12:37 AM

hi............
hw r u???????
Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2010, 01:19 AM

Whoa, Levi, you just showed me a thousand more good reasons why I'm not ready to come out yet.

You got all the classic arguments! A) Your life has no purpose (like whatever you found joy in today doesn't count), B) You need to repent (because your moral compass no longer works and disbelief is the greatest sin, apparently much greater than pride), C) The afterlife will suck for you (forgetting that you've already experienced non-existence and didn't mind it a bit), and D) I know God, and he's done great things! (Never mind all those global tragedies that aren't happening to me.)

Sorry you had to go through that with your own dad. Sad
27-08-2010, 02:30 AM
Quote:I just read you're post and concluded that nothing is eating me. I've got no problems. Wife is great, kids are great, dog is great, I'm on vacation this week (not going anywhere but not working), taking my youngest son to his first baseball game tomorrow and everything is wonderful.

Wow, great! I didn't intend for this, but I'm certainly glad something immediately positive came out of this! =D

(25-08-2010 07:51 AM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  Sorry to hear (read) about that Levi. For this reason, I hate facebook. I use it far too much, and get much of the same crap. Although I haven't had too many exchanges quite like yours, but it gets my blood boiling. I usually ignore the verses because most of the time they're not aimed at me (and that is one word of advice - try to keep it in check because they're not always aimed at you specifically) and I don't usually feel like starting an argument.

But sure enough if I post one innocent little thing like, say, a youtube link to George Carlin's "Religion is Bullshit" bit - whoa nelly, here we go. I got one friend who commented "I saw that show live, boy I'm glad I didn't pay for tickets - comedians are supposed to be funny." Then another friend notes that I posted my link on the same day my wife posted some lyrics to a gospel song, and he asks "how are you two married?!" Then here comes the kicker - my wife comes on and comments "well it's a strained relationship, but God is good and all is well in my soul." Holy fucking hell. I replied and deleted at least 3 comments before I stuck with "how can all be well in your soul when a) you don't have any reason to believe you have a soul and b) you just admitted that you have a strained relationship with your husband?" and no further responses.

Now, I take some comfort in the fact that I kept my response civil - including ignoring my other friend who said the "comedians are supposed to be funny" thing. I posted the link, I shared it, I made it open for commenting. Fair enough if you voice your opinion on it. But if I were to comment on a Bible verse with something innocent and civil like "prove it" then I'd get jumped on with both Bible barrels blasting from all good Christian soldiers.

Facebook (and any similar sites) are difficult for me, as I'm friends with a large chunk of my family (several of whom I haven't officially come out as atheist with). So I usually just ignore all the religious crap. But I'm thinking of voicing more of my own stuff sooner or later - I just doubt it'll actually achieve much of anything except to get other people "mad as hell." Big Grin

Wow, that's crazy! I hope things work out for you on that front. It's rough being the odd one out, especially when those around you view you as evil or as the enemy because of your differences.

(27-08-2010 01:19 AM)athnostic Wrote:  Whoa, Levi, you just showed me a thousand more good reasons why I'm not ready to come out yet.

You got all the classic arguments! A) Your life has no purpose (like whatever you found joy in today doesn't count), B) You need to repent (because your moral compass no longer works and disbelief is the greatest sin, apparently much greater than pride), C) The afterlife will suck for you (forgetting that you've already experienced non-existence and didn't mind it a bit), and D) I know God, and he's done great things! (Never mind all those global tragedies that aren't happening to me.)

Sorry you had to go through that with your own dad. Sad

While I certainly wouldn't push you to do something you're not ready for (especially not an important decision like coming out with your unbelief), I would just like to say that it's actually quite bearable, especially if you're out and on your own (even moreso halfway across the world =P). My family is... REALLY fundy. Like, my dad went to study the Way of the Master course from Ray Comfort in the ambassador's academy with my brother (I was invited, but money turned up short and I wasn't able to go), they go to church at least three times a week, are influential members with leadership positions, listen to and study Ravi Zacharias and other apologetics/bible studies like it's the only thing to do, and thank God for every blessing and curse that comes upon them.

But through all that, even when I came out as an atheist AND gay at the same time to them, they haven't ostracized me. My brother wouldn't speak to me outside of intense debate for a week afterwards, but we're patching up and plan on playing online games and stuff like normal soon, my mom has been heartbroken but supportive, my dad has been... sternly against everything but still posts funny pictures on my facebook wall, and my little sister is basically completely unaffected. =P

I expected everything to be the worst possible outcome I could think of, but I NEEDED it to come out because it was killing me inside to lie to my family so much. So after TONS of stress and worry I posted it on facebook and waited to be murdered. =P

But it didn't happen! And I was SO relieved! It was a bit of a shitstorm (pardon the expression) but it was manageable. And now especially that I'm on this site with a supportive community, it's really nothing at all! Even with this most recent mishap with my dad, after venting about it to supportive individuals that can relate, I feel fine. =P I know he loves me still and is just looking out for me and I love him back, and if things get out of hand for me, I can come here and discuss facts and stuff.

Still, though, if you don't think you're ready to come out, it's best if you don't force yourself to. But whenever you feel it eating at you from the inside like it NEEDS to come out, that's probably a good sign. =P Unless you feel like you'll be put into any sort of danger for it (physically, financially, etc.). The most important thing is to think about your health. =)

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
27-08-2010, 02:49 AM

Levi... Do you love your dad as a person or because he's your dad?
I'm willing to bet that he hasn't bothered to read his favorite book (found in the fiction section) like most of the other Bible thumpers so try this...
Ask him if there is anything a child could do to warrant his/her parents condeming that child to burn in Hell for eternity? Point out the fact that burning really hurts and that eternity is a really long time.
His response should be... "Yes, one thing... not worshiping God".
My response would be "Holy crap! You would do that to me merely for not kissing your butt?" Then I'd ask for the number for Child Protective Services.
I'd really like to read your response!
I know the burning in Hell part isn't in The Bible, but he won't, he hasn't bothered to read it.
27-08-2010, 07:32 AM
(27-08-2010 02:49 AM)Smee Wrote:  Levi... Do you love your dad as a person or because he's your dad?
I'm willing to bet that he hasn't bothered to read his favorite book (found in the fiction section) like most of the other Bible thumpers so try this...
Ask him if there is anything a child could do to warrant his/her parents condeming that child to burn in Hell for eternity? Point out the fact that burning really hurts and that eternity is a really long time.
His response should be... "Yes, one thing... not worshiping God".
My response would be "Holy crap! You would do that to me merely for not kissing your butt?" Then I'd ask for the number for Child Protective Services.
I'd really like to read your response!
I know the burning in Hell part isn't in The Bible, but he won't, he hasn't bothered to read it.

Well, thanks for your advice, but I'm afraid he's actually read the Bible multiple times. Even before he began to get deeply indoctrinated into the loony apologetics going around he set aside about an hour of every day to study his Bible. He's gone through at least three Bibles I can remember cluttered with notes and inks of all colours. I think this "life's work" kind of thing might be one of the reasons he's blocking the truth from his mind.

Plus, I love him, not only as my dad but especially because he's my dad. I know that the only reason he's after me is because he's worried about what he thinks is going to happen to me. That's why, I think, he can send those offensive messages and funny pictures on my Facebook wall on the same day. He's doing everything he can think of for me to make sure that I don't go to that hell, which I can hold a due appreciation for, even if I know he's only deluded.

Thanks for your support, though!