Madalyn Murray O'Hair

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2013, 08:15 PM
RE: Madalyn Murray O'Hair
I remember seeing her on Donohue more than once (not the one Dom posted -- different time) and she totally turned me off to atheism. She seemed so hateful and angry.

I remember teetering at that time (i was peobably in 5th or 6th grade at the time) and she really pushed me back to "faith."

To this day, I have a hard time with the insulting, angry atheist. My idea is show people that atheists dispite the fact we don't believe in god or gods, we can be kind, gracious and loving people. I'd much prefer people be shocked to learn I don't believe than to force it down their throats.

Unfortunately most Christians I know, when they find out, take it upon themselves to act like I'm a lost child in need of rescuing.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Her abrasiveness served its purpose at the time, bringing atheism out of the closet. A meek and timid proponent would never have been invited to the show in the first place. While she did come across as a mean old biddy, kudos to her for telling it like it was.

I've heard preachers be just as abrasive and repugnant while preaching "love."

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 3 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
15-02-2013, 07:01 PM
(15-02-2013 01:03 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Her abrasiveness served its purpose at the time, bringing atheism out of the closet. A meek and timid proponent would never have been invited to the show in the first place. While she did come across as a mean old biddy, kudos to her for telling it like it was.

I've heard preachers be just as abrasive and repugnant while preaching "love."
She reminds me of a Hitchen demeanor, just not as elegant as Christopher was. I dont see her being angry or hateful to the individuals, I see hatred and anger to the religion.

Which I agree with...respect the individuals, not the beliefs of the individual.

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
06-08-2014, 09:15 AM
For some reason atheists don't want to talk about the fact that Madalyn advocated adolescent sexual freedom, yet she kept her younger son, the atheist activist Jon Murray, from moving away from her home and having girlfriends. At the time of his murder in 1995, Jon quite possibly died a 40 year old virgin.

If Fred Phelps had a 40 year old son who never moved out of his parents' house and never had a girlfriend, atheist bloggers would get a lot of mileage out of that situation because it supports their prejudices about christianity's "sex-negativity," or whatever you call it these days.

But Jon's real-life situation, which American Atheists' old-timers knew about, apparently embarrasses many atheists because it conflicts with their ideology of Madalyn's O'Hair's greatness and atheists' sexual fulfillment, so they hope it falls down the Memory Hole.
06-08-2014, 09:39 AM
(06-08-2014 09:15 AM)advancedatheist Wrote:  For some reason atheists don't want to talk about the fact that Madalyn advocated adolescent sexual freedom, yet she kept her younger son, the atheist activist Jon Murray, from moving away from her home and having girlfriends. At the time of his murder in 1995, Jon quite possibly died a 40 year old virgin.

If Fred Phelps had a 40 year old son who never moved out of his parents' house and never had a girlfriend, atheist bloggers would get a lot of mileage out of that situation because it supports their prejudices about christianity's "sex-negativity," or whatever you call it these days.

But Jon's real-life situation, which American Atheists' old-timers knew about, apparently embarrasses many atheists because it conflicts with their ideology of Madalyn's O'Hair's greatness and atheists' sexual fulfillment, so they hope it falls down the Memory Hole.

How do you know she kept him from moving away? Why is there such a stigma attached to people who enjoy staying home with their relatives? How do you know he didn't go out and sleep with a ton of GFs?

I have an aunt who stayed with my grandparents til the day they died - she didn't want to get married, she had boyfriends along the way. She says she enjoyed the freedom that came with living at home.

Only the young feel that they need to get out asap - as they should.

Once older, it just depends on the parents. Once age restrictions are lifted, living with one's parents can be a rewarding thing.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-08-2014, 11:35 AM
Re: RE: Madalyn Murray O'Hair
(06-08-2014 09:15 AM)advancedatheist Wrote:  For some reason atheists don't want to talk about the fact that Madalyn advocated adolescent sexual freedom, yet she kept her younger son, the atheist activist Jon Murray, from moving away from her home and having girlfriends. At the time of his murder in 1995, Jon quite possibly died a 40 year old virgin.

Nobody frequently talks about her in general... I don't see how you can conclude anything by that. She and her son are irrelevant history. The only people who talk of her is the American Atheist group in respect to it's history anyway.

In fact, you resurrected a thread a year old with 10 posts that was purely named after her. It rather shows she's not a highly talked about person here. She's of a different generation(style) of atheists.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
06-08-2014, 04:45 PM
(06-08-2014 11:35 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  

Nobody frequently talks about her in general... I don't see how you can conclude anything by that. She and her son are irrelevant history. The only people who talk of her is the American Atheist group in respect to it's history anyway.

In fact, you resurrected a thread a year old with 10 posts that was purely named after her. It rather shows she's not a highly talked about person here. She's of a different generation(style) of atheists.

As I recall, in her time American atheism was extremely anti gay; rather like the Christianity of the time. As for racism, women,s rights etc I'm not sure of their general stance........