Made my brain hurt quiz!! try this one smartypants!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2014, 12:29 PM
RE: Made my brain hurt quiz!! try this one smartypants!
(10-04-2014 12:14 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  I feel dumb now compared to the mental giants in here.

You're not dumb.

[Image: every-one-is-genius.jpg]

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
10-04-2014, 12:33 PM
(10-04-2014 11:45 AM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 11:38 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Well that's not very smart. Tongue

Isn't that the definition of insanity? Lol

Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?
*Far Cry 3 reference*

Atir aissom atir imon
10-04-2014, 12:34 PM
(10-04-2014 12:29 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 12:14 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  I feel dumb now compared to the mental giants in here.

You're not dumb.

I know I know, I just suck at math and physics. Give me languages or literature and I'm in heaven.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Blackhand293's post
10-04-2014, 12:38 PM
140. Had to guess at a few of them, I was hurrying. But not bad!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
10-04-2014, 12:42 PM
(10-04-2014 12:34 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  I just suck at ... physics.

Horseshit.

You've internalised a bad learning experience. That's not the same thing.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
10-04-2014, 12:46 PM
(10-04-2014 12:34 PM)Blackhand293 Wrote:  
(10-04-2014 12:29 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  You're not dumb.

I know I know, I just suck at math and physics. Give me languages or literature and I'm in heaven.

A real IQ test has a lot more variation on theme and subject. This test definitely skews to the "left brain" type of cognition.

(yes, I know that right/left brain is not actually a thing)

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
10-04-2014, 12:49 PM
You guys know that standard IQ tests become less and less reliable as one moves farther from the median, right? The sample size is too small to be normative, to say nothing of the external variance...

[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
10-04-2014, 12:51 PM
(10-04-2014 12:49 PM)cjlr Wrote:  You guys know that standard IQ tests become less and less reliable as one moves farther from the median, right? The sample size is too small to be normative, to say nothing of the external variance...

^This.

Atir aissom atir imon
10-04-2014, 01:03 PM
(10-04-2014 12:49 PM)cjlr Wrote:  You guys know that standard IQ tests become less and less reliable as one moves farther from the median, right? The sample size is too small to be normative, to say nothing of the external variance...

At what point does it start to become very inaccurate? And what does that mean when I've consistently scored about the same?

10-04-2014, 02:06 PM
(10-04-2014 01:03 PM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  

At what point does it start to become very inaccurate? And what does that mean when I've consistently scored about the same?

There are really two kinds of uncertainty here. The variability in test score and the variability in the meaning of the score. The two are of course also related.

The minimum variance (for a middle-of-the-distribution result) is about +/- 3. So at least that! But anything more than a couple deviations from the norm is entering shakier and shakier statistical territory - that's just the nature of the beast.

One standard deviation is 15 points; that's how the test is normalised. So two deviations (130+) is ~95th percentile. Three (145+) is >99th percentile. How much statistical significance do fractions of a percentile have? Pretty much none.

160 is four deviations. That's just a crapshoot. I can totally believe that you are indeed one in fifteen thousand - but that's also not a meaningful statement!

Fun bonus fact: ghostexorcist's score of 190 makes him 1 in a billion. Congratulations!

Fun additional bonus fact: because IQ is a normalised distribution, and the world population is increasing, the theoretical precision is increasing (the xth percentile is 1-1/world population) and therefore as of right now the smartest person on the entire planet (were that somehow able to be determined) would have a score of just a hair over 196. As in that's literally the highest possible.

[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post