Made us in his image?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2014, 05:17 PM
Made us in his image?
In the bible, it says "God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them". That is an exact quote, but why would anyone believe that? I know its not meaning that we are god, but we have the likeness of god. Basically saying that we have the same appearance. Now, why would the so called "god almighty" make us so inferior to him but in his image?
As a species we are weak, the only thing we got going for us is our mind and a posable thumbs. if god is so great, and we are supposed to be in his likeness. I think we should of had diamond skin, wings, longer lifespans etc. instead we are conscious decaying flesh bags.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chi_city93's post
10-08-2014, 05:54 PM
RE: Made us in his image?
Man, if god looks like some of the people I have seen.....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
23-08-2014, 06:54 AM
The text is not 100% correct either it was altered or the interpretation is wrong
In Islam we have almost the same statement
but it means God created Adam on his Image ; it means his "Adam" image
i.e. he was created as a full grown man not as a child then grew
23-08-2014, 07:15 AM
So Allah looks like a man, Muslim... or Allah is an adult? Can you cite your version more specifically?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
23-08-2014, 10:04 AM
It seems to me that people once believed that the gods were to be found in nature. They made art depicting animals and seem to worship them. It looks to me that once people gained a measure of control over their environment they began to make images of themselves. They made the gods in their image.
But I could be way off....
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
23-08-2014, 11:17 AM
(23-08-2014 06:54 AM)Muslim Wrote:  The text is not 100% correct either it was altered or the interpretation is wrong

I love how every theist needs to have interpretations of their 'holy books'. Was god so stupid he couldn't just state plainly what he meant? Every time someone pokes a hole in something written in your books you always say "that's not what it really means".
It's all bullshit, we know it, and you know it, you're either to fucking stupid to realize it, or too chickenshit to admit it.
[+] 6 users Like pablo's post
25-08-2014, 03:31 AM
(23-08-2014 07:15 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  So Allah looks like a man, Muslim... or Allah is an adult? Can you cite your version more specifically?
Allah doesn't look like anything, he is unique and we cannot depict him or even imagine him in anyway

Adulthood, sex, race, color, size, etc. don't apply to him at all

They are not just claims, it can be proved as well
25-08-2014, 03:35 AM
(10-08-2014 05:17 PM)Chi_city93 Wrote:  In the bible, it says "God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them". That is an exact quote, but why would anyone believe that? I know its not meaning that we are god, but we have the likeness of god. Basically saying that we have the same appearance. Now, why would the so called "god almighty" make us so inferior to him but in his image?
As a species we are weak, the only thing we got going for us is our mind and a posable thumbs. if god is so great, and we are supposed to be in his likeness. I think we should of had diamond skin, wings, longer lifespans etc. instead we are conscious decaying flesh bags.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
25-08-2014, 03:40 AM
(25-08-2014 03:31 AM)Muslim Wrote:  Allah doesn't look like anything, he is unique and we cannot depict him or even imagine him in anyway

Just a point ( Hello again Muslim! Smile ) but the word you should be using in English for that above sentence/quote then, is 'It', since you are stating that your god is with out discernible shape or form. Not 'He'.

So.... being without anything that would be related to we humans (As you seem to have indicated) why should we care about something we can't understand, let alone visualize?

Also, in regards to your other thread, do we have an accord as to the meaning of 'Proof' yet? I'm looking forwards for dialogue to progress.

Much cheers to all.
25-08-2014, 05:01 AM
(25-08-2014 03:31 AM)Muslim Wrote:  
(23-08-2014 07:15 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(23-08-2014 06:54 AM)Muslim Wrote:  The text is not 100% correct either it was altered or the interpretation is wrong
So Allah looks like a man, Muslim... or Allah is an adult? Can you cite your version more specifically?
Allah doesn't look like anything, he is unique and we cannot depict him or even imagine him in anyway

So is this claim that Adam was made in his image a meaningless truism is it the Quran false in claiming that Adam was made in the image of Allah?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.