Made us in his image?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-08-2014, 06:43 AM
RE: Made us in his image?
(26-08-2014 12:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I can we really be certain what was meant by "in God's image"?
If it really means that, then it will be very ridiculous
Why God would have a penis, hair, stomach, organs, nose?

Quote:but I agree with his basic point: assuming there is a single "correct interpretation", how can anyone today be absolutely certain of what it is?
It is impossible to have a 100% correct translation of any book, translation is a human effort which is impossible to be perfect.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2014, 07:46 AM
(27-08-2014 06:43 AM)Muslim Wrote:  
(26-08-2014 12:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I can we really be certain what was meant by "in God's image"?
If it really means that, then it will be very ridiculous
Why God would have a penis, hair, stomach, organs, nose?

Huh

What you quote me as saying is not even grammatical, and is not what I said (remove the "I" at the beginning). And your reply also makes no sense. I make no claims as to what is meant by "in God's image" -- I was asking a question. By the way, your previous interpretation (earlier in this thread) also made no sense. The phrasing in Genesis is clearly referring to God's image, not Adam's.
27-08-2014, 08:50 AM
(25-08-2014 05:01 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(25-08-2014 03:31 AM)Muslim Wrote:  Allah doesn't look like anything, he is unique and we cannot depict him or even imagine him in anyway
Adulthood, sex, race, color, size, etc. don't apply to him at all
They are not just claims, it can be proved as well

So is this claim that Adam was made in his image a meaningless truism is it the Quran false in claiming that Adam was made in the image of Allah?

(26-08-2014 09:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(26-08-2014 08:44 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Which traits are similar, KC?
Please tell me why you're asking and your intentions behind the question. Sorry... been burned too many times by people trying to "set me up" with seemingly innocuous questions.

It looks like this thread has gotten away from us, so there is probably no point continuing it. My intention in asking as with my question to Muslim was to try and understand whether this seemingly important theological point actually means anything... ie whether it says anything about the properties of god and man... and how we can tell what those are apart from guessing at the meaning... and how we can distinguish between theologically significant properties and our perceived differences to mere animals. Sorry. Slow typing due to child sleeping on my lap.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
27-08-2014, 09:47 AM
(27-08-2014 08:50 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  It looks like this thread has gotten away from us, so there is probably no point continuing it. My intention in asking as with my question to Muslim was to try and understand whether this seemingly important theological point actually means anything... ie whether it says anything about the properties of god and man... and how we can tell what those are apart from guessing at the meaning... and how we can distinguish between theologically significant properties and our perceived differences to mere animals. Sorry. Slow typing due to child sleeping on my lap.

Yeah, I'm done with it. Sorry it turned out like this, but I hope you understand now why I said what I said.

Anyway, enjoy every minute of that child sleeping on your lap. Mine are already starting to grow up... don't really get that anymore.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
02-09-2014, 01:18 AM
(27-08-2014 07:46 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I was asking a question. By the way, your previous interpretation (earlier in this thread) also made no sense. The phrasing in Genesis is clearly referring to God's image, not Adam's.
We don't consider the Bible as the true words of God (It was but not now)
02-09-2014, 05:58 AM
(02-09-2014 01:18 AM)Muslim Wrote:  
(27-08-2014 07:46 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I was asking a question. By the way, your previous interpretation (earlier in this thread) also made no sense. The phrasing in Genesis is clearly referring to God's image, not Adam's.
We don't consider the Bible as the true words of God (It was but not now)

It never was.

And the Qur'an is an even more amateurish pile of shit.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
02-09-2014, 10:39 AM
I love more of this absurd not understanding it's a blatant contradiction of Muslim arguments.

So the bible isn't the "true" word of God.. but it WAS, so then God's truth has changed over time? Would the original Hebrew texts of the Torah still be the true word of god or not? It just piles up and concaves on itself everytime these claims keep being made.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
02-09-2014, 01:13 PM
(02-09-2014 10:39 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I love more of this absurd not understanding it's a blatant contradiction of Muslim arguments.

So the bible isn't the "true" word of God.. but it WAS, so then God's truth has changed over time? Would the original Hebrew texts of the Torah still be the true word of god or not? It just piles up and concaves on itself everytime these claims keep being made.
Even the Hebrew text was changed
the current bible is full of errors, contradictions and man made stories

It contradicts with science, logic even with common sense
02-09-2014, 01:14 PM
We ARE God.
You can just stop twirling for answers.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
02-09-2014, 01:16 PM
(02-09-2014 01:13 PM)Muslim Wrote:  
(02-09-2014 10:39 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I love more of this absurd not understanding it's a blatant contradiction of Muslim arguments.

Even the Hebrew text was changed
the current bible is full of errors, contradictions and man made stories

It contradicts with science, logic even with common sense

What points contradict, how do you know what points were originally the Truth of God? How much of the Torah that does contradict can you be valid to say you know wasn't originally there?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson