Mafia game #43, The Shawshank Redemption

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
05-11-2015, 08:42 AM
RE: Mafia game #43, The Shawshank Redemption
By all means, please enlighten us

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
05-11-2015, 09:20 AM
The reason I know Mafia don't use shanks as a standard night kill is because the only way to possess a shank in this game is if I provide you with one. I am Ellis Boyd Redding and my role is "A Man Who Knows How To Get Things." Each day phase I can procure an item from the black market and send it to somebody else so they can use it during the night phase, but can not utilize the items myself. One of these items I can acquire is a shank that provides the user with a one-time vigilante kill, which I procured yesterday and gave to UndergroundP.

Now before I explain why I think she's town, let me explain what's going on with the Mafia. The Mafia can investigate people to determine their role. I know this because another item on my list is a poster of Rita Hayworth which makes the owner investigation immune for one night. It's clarified in the item description that people are investigated by having their "cells tossed," an activity that the prison wardens (Mafia) partake in as mentioned in the background info of the OP. Since Mafia have an investigation ability and I can't use the poster myself, the fact that it's in my inventory indicates that there is at least one other townie power role.

I also quickly came to a conclusion about the limits of the Mafia's powers: they can't kill and investigate in the same night. Considering how small this game is, allowing them to eliminate a player and search for power roles every night would make them significantly overpowered. They only have seven townie players to work with, you do the math of how quickly they would wipe out the field like that. The fact they didn't do a standard night kill last night further supports my theory. Sure, we might have a doc and they hit the person that was being protected, but I think it's more likely they used last night to toss a cell and therefore didn't elect to kill anybody.

Now let me get back to UGP. If my theory is correct, and I have good reason to think it is, I'd wager the shank I provided wouldn't be subject to the same regulations as a night kill, so the fact she used the shank isn't what exonerates her. Who she chose, however is very telling. If you were UGP, somebody who's played multiple Mafia games before, and happened to be scum this game, and you were given this free kill tool on a night you were going to toss a cell instead of night kill, who would you eliminate day one? I can't tell you for certain who she would have chosen, but I can tell you for certain she wouldn't have wasted it on Evie, a no-threat, wet behind the ears noob. She would have taken out a more experienced player if she was Mafia. The fact she went after Evie indicates she is thinking like a townie. Either she thought he was acting scummy, or even more likely, she gauged who would hurt the town the least to lose if she guessed wrong on her kill, and came to a rather easy conclusion.

I have to go to class now, I'll explain who I think we should lynch once I get out.

[Image: giphy.gif]
05-11-2015, 09:53 AM
I feel like as town or scum Evie wasn't a smart choice. He was an obvious no threat to scum and he wasn't acting scummy at all. To me it makes more sense for her to be scum trying to appear town by choosing someone who makes no sense to choose. If she was town wouldn't she have chosen someone who was actually scummy? I don't know. I'll wait to see what she says and then if she confirms what you're saying I'll vote wherever you guys think. Might as well. I've got nothing.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
05-11-2015, 09:58 AM
It was you then Tongue

What Tarty said about me was 100% correct. I am a townie and I used that thing he gave me last night to kill Evie, for the reasons Tarty mentioned. If I was Mafia, I'd probably have chosen Tarty himself. It was just that Evie was kinda suspicious and I was willing to take the chance on a noob.

I was confused when I saw there was no other kill at night, but I have an alternative theory as to why this happened. At the risk of saying too much, there is a chance the Mafia targeted me and they failed. What my role pm said wasn't very clear to me, but I have a chance to escape death. Although Tarty's story makes sense, I can't eliminate the possibility that I was the one targeted.

I have to go out now but I'll be back in a few hours.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
05-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Ok, if tarty and ugp aren't scum, then by Poe I think it has to be magi and wizard

Losty- well I'm confirmed only to myself vt
Briiae claimed vt
Tarty semi confirmed by ugp
Guley soft claimed vt
ugp semi confirmed by tarty

This could be an elaborate plan by tarty and ugp...but I kind of doubt it.

05-11-2015, 10:17 AM
If it helps with your poe, feel free to lynch me. I didn't mind being lynched on day one and I still don't, but just keep in mind after I flip town, not every vt claim can be trusted, especially when that vt pm if included in the OP

[Image: 004.sig]
[+] 1 user Likes Aoi Magi's post
05-11-2015, 10:18 AM
*is included

[Image: 004.sig]
05-11-2015, 10:22 AM
Guley seems trust worthy to me. Briiae I'm not as sure about. I still find her last minute "attempt" to flip the vote to herself very suspicious looking.

05-11-2015, 10:31 AM
I'm a Vt, go ahead and lynch me if you're suspicious. I think we should lynch Wizard today as it sounds like they are very likely scum. Magi I do believe is scum as well but if she flips green then for me by POE as I know I am town that leaves Losty and Guly if what Tarty and Underground say is true.
05-11-2015, 12:20 PM
(05-11-2015 10:22 AM)Losty Wrote:  Guley seems trust worthy to me. Briiae I'm not as sure about. I still find her last minute "attempt" to flip the vote to herself very suspicious looking.

Except what's even more suspicious is your continued vouching for Guley despite the fact that his response to my statements last night are the scummiest indicators I've seen so far this game AND that you were the one who headed the terribly thought out lynch wagon on Kitty, with Guley jumping right on board with you (UGP as well but I've already cleared her as townie, confused voting is par course for her on day one).

Now that's suspicious.

[Image: giphy.gif]