Magic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2012, 01:30 AM
RE: Magic
Mind control and hypnotism already exists. Just look at child indoctrination( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVdEMCTGJS4 )

It is frighteningly evil.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ShirubaDangan's post
20-01-2012, 02:43 AM
You know what I would like to see?

A freaking fireball! Or lightning coming out of ones hands, like Emperor Palpatine does. Then the Darth Vaders choke or force push.

Now that's some magic.

And the coolest of them all are the Finger of Death and Disintegrate. Kill with one finger pointing or disintegrating someone with some words. Do that and there is magic.

Smile

So fireball can be a grande, finger of death can be poison and then pointing the finger in the right time, when poison is about to make the thing, I do not see how we could disintegrate someone, maybe with nuclear weapons?

Damn, no magic.

Oh wait, Darth Vader is still there, choke and push, replicate that, you scientists! No one can replicate Darth Vader. Even Palpatine can be replicated, Tesla Coils and all that...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
20-01-2012, 03:25 AM
It's not really that we can't *replicate* it, it's that magic seems... so limited. If to force choke someone is to violate the laws of the known universe... it seems like *a lot* of trouble to go to just to kill your enemies stylishly. Gun will work every time...

I'm being kinda incoherent in this thread, my apologies... Just trying to work this concept out in my mind... Magic is all confined to human scale, human problem type things. Light fires without matches, bring gold out of thin air, curse your mother-in-law...

And it's all stuff we can do very easily without needing all the mumbo jumbo...

I mean, yeah, Chas is lazy and doesn't want to carry a stepladder every time he needs to reach a high shelf... but it could take 20 years of intense study before being able to levitate... I'd really want more reward than that for that amount of effort.

Love potions... probably easier to just be a nice guy and attract babes that way than to be a horrible guy who needs a potion to make the girl fall in love. Amusing results when two previously straight guys/girls accidentally imbibe though Big Grin Maybe I'll add that to the list of desirable magical things, just for laughs.
20-01-2012, 09:05 AM
(20-01-2012 03:25 AM)morondog Wrote:  I mean, yeah, Chas is lazy and doesn't want to carry a stepladder every time he needs to reach a high shelf... but it could take 20 years of intense study before being able to levitate... I'd really want more reward than that for that amount of effort.

Hey! I'm not lazy - the step ladder is just really inconvenient.

Quote:Love potions... probably easier to just be a nice guy and attract babes that way than to be a horrible guy who needs a potion to make the girl fall in love. Amusing results when two previously straight guys/girls accidentally imbibe though Big Grin Maybe I'll add that to the list of desirable magical things, just for laughs.

I think this would make a good argument against the Christian anti-gays. Tell them gays can't control it, demons used love potion!

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-01-2012, 09:17 AM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2012 09:20 AM by morondog.)
(20-01-2012 09:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  I think this would make a good argument against the Christian anti-gays. Tell them gays can't control it, demons used love potion!

But then these twits will try to make them drink something to 'fix' them or something stupid like that Sad
I just thought... if I had magic love potion...

Then for a Christian anti-gay leader for example I could somehow arrange to give him a dose while hanging out at his anti-gay club with his male friends... you know, slip it in the punch or something...

I realise it's immoral but... funny Big Grin
20-01-2012, 09:21 AM
(20-01-2012 09:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(20-01-2012 09:05 AM)Chas Wrote:  I think this would make a good argument against the Christian anti-gays. Tell them gays can't control it, demons used love potion!

But then these twits will try to make them drink something to 'fix' them or something stupid like that Sad

But that would be practicing sorcery and get them executed or damned!
I think we have them on this one. Unless KC pulls some twisted, tortuous apologetic out of his demented theology.Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-01-2012, 09:36 AM
(20-01-2012 09:21 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-01-2012 09:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  

But that would be practicing sorcery and get them executed or damned!
I think we have them on this one. Unless KC pulls some twisted, tortuous apologetic out of his demented theology.Dodgy

Welllll...

KC your ass is on fire!

While he's occupied...

Although I kinda like the idea unfortunately it's gonna eventually force us to fight stupid with stupid - which will make stupid squared, not subtract stupid like you would expect.

You see... I don't see any anti-gay campaigner accepting our perfectly rational explanation, which means he'll ask for proof that it was demons... and we'll have to make up some dumb reason how we know it was demons...

And before you know it we'll be holding services and baptisms...

So I'm voting to let KC off the hook Tongue No need to explain something as hypothetical as this... BTW KC there's a bucket of water by the door.
20-01-2012, 01:12 PM
The problem with invisibility is getting run over. It's all fun and games until it's all blood splatter and ballistics. It's simple for me. If Gwyneth Paltrow exists, then magic exists; creator of the universe, that girl. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
24-01-2012, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2012 03:31 PM by Luminon.)
Nowadays it seems like everyone's doing a totally believable magic, not just illusions. Even the magic-exposing show doesn't measure up. As all viewers, I was scared and amazed by the death saw trick.

Here the magician is "cut in half" by the saw. Except the table has two freakin' big wedge-shaped compartments to hide half of the body of the magician and half of the double, who's legs are sticking out.

Here's the same thing in Copperfield style.

Please point out if you see anything that I don't. But to me it looks like the table stands on two flimsy metal supports with nothing in between. The table itself looks quite thin and nothing short of a Somalian contortionist should be able to hide in there.
I am tempted to believe that mr. Copperfield is not only an illusionist, but a genius of engineering and camouflage technologies. Or perhaps he employs one.

Or he could be just very good at creating, maintaining and controlling a mayavirupa, for the tricks that can't be done by turning the audience on a giant turntable away from the Liberty statue.
24-01-2012, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2012 04:39 PM by Malleus.)
The first one is obvious. The table legs provide more than enough room for torso/legs. The old drill, 2 separate persons play the 2 half bodies.

David Copperfield is more subtle, but I think I figured it out. His table top is VERY "aerodynamic", but especially where it counts, it's much thicker than it looks, especially from the angles they used. It's also tilted, providing extra room in the "shadow" of the tilt. Even when the camera does get in an angle that would normally provide a perfect lateral view, the corners don't align the way they would if the table top would be as flat as it seems.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.