Magic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-01-2012, 08:58 PM
RE: Magic
In his book, “The Meaning Of It All”, Richard Feynman gives a delightful account of how he would investigate someone’s claim of being a mind reader.

Quote:This fellow comes to me, and he says, "I will demonstrate this to you. We will stand at the roulette wheel and I will tell you ahead of time whether it is going to be black or red on every shot."

So from other experience and general knowledge, I have a strong prejudice against mind readers. Million to one.

Now we begin. The mind reader says it's going to be black. It's black. The mind reader says it's going to be red. It's red. Do I believe in mind readers? No. It could happen. The mind reader says it's going to be black. It's black. The mind reader says it's going to be red. It's red. Sweat. I'm about to learn something. This continues, let us suppose, for ten times. Now it's possible by chance that that happened ten times, but the odds are a thousand to one against it. Therefore, I now have to conclude that the odds that a mind reader is really doing it are a thousand to one that he's not a mind reader still, but it was a million to one before.
….
Now suppose that we go to another club, and it works, and another one and it works. I buy dice and it works. I take him home and I build a roulette wheel; it works. What do I conclude? I conclude he is a mind reader.

it is possible to conclude, by a number of tests, that mind reading really exists. If it does, I get extremely excited, because I didn't expect it before. I learned something that I did not know, and as a physicist would love to investigate it as a phenomenon of nature. Does it depend upon how far he is from the ball? What about if you put sheets of glass or paper or other materials in between?

To be prejudiced against mind reading a million to one does not mean that you can never be convinced that a man is a mind reader. The only way that you can never be convinced that a man is a mind reader is one of two things: If you are limited to a finite number of experiments, and he won't let you do any more, or if you are infinitely prejudiced at the beginning that it's absolutely impossible.”
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zat's post
24-01-2012, 09:06 PM
It's magic! Undead alien! run for the hills!

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-01-2012, 09:08 PM
(24-01-2012 09:06 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  It's magic! Undead alien! run for the hills!

Cantor, you can run but you can not hide -- undead aliens will get your hide at the end! Big Grin
24-01-2012, 09:30 PM
(24-01-2012 09:08 PM)Zat Wrote:  
(24-01-2012 09:06 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  It's magic! Undead alien! run for the hills!

Cantor, you can run but you can not hide -- undead aliens will get your hide at the end! Big Grin

Don't make me give you a big, sloppy puppy kiss. Good to see you 'round, Captain.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
25-01-2012, 03:35 AM
If you haven't seen them, Pen & Teller can reveal all sorts of magic tricks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mlt9ABjyM8

So just search more videos, they explain a lot of "how is it made".

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
21-11-2013, 05:40 PM
I think magic would be useful if it allowed a person to change their natural skin/hair color,gender, or even their own beliefs.

My current project is explaining why many things in this world are irrelevant to me.
21-11-2013, 06:02 PM
(19-01-2012 05:13 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I was a little disappointed this thread wasn't about:
[Image: 200px-Magic_the_gathering-card_back.jpg]

But seriously, I think our brains cause us to believe in magic because they can fool us into thinking we've seen things we haven't seen. This is a pretty good video to share with people who believe in goofy things.

Wowww! So, this actually explains what the preachers likely did to us in the church services when they'd try and make us fall back or feel that fuzzy, warm feeling. This made my day. Big Grin
21-11-2013, 07:47 PM
When my Hogwarts letter still didn't come at 16 I gave up on magic
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
21-11-2013, 08:09 PM

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
21-11-2013, 08:12 PM

... this is my signature!