Major threat to religion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Major threat to religion
I think atheism is not a major threat to religions. People want/like/need to believe in spirits, UFO's,
supernatural things, mysticism, auras, morphic fields, the after life, etc. etc.

No, atheism is not the threat. The threat is The New Age Movement. You can see it everywhere: from
music to "yoga relaxation techniques". It's slowly invading our world and those beliefs contradict what
formal religions say or preach. Instead, is more like a mix: some things from christianism, many from
buddhism, other from pseudo-scientific "discoveries", etc.

Instead of stop believing in god(s), people who have lost their faith prefer to believe in something rather than
nothing. Most people cannot accept the idea of being death forever and while people "deconvert" they just change
their beliefs system. They don't become "thinking atheists".

That's why I can see how the number of new age followers will increase in the next years. It's just a change
from a non-sense doctrine to non-sense ideology.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like KVron's post
11-02-2013, 11:31 AM
RE: Major threat to religion
(11-02-2013 10:33 AM)KVron Wrote:  Instead of stop believing in god(s), people who have lost their faith prefer to believe in something rather than nothing.
This reminds me of a certain person here, but I can't seem to remember his name. Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
11-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Hottest thing in real estate is houses with a "Zen room".
Out with the family room, in with the Zen room. Apparently sells like hot cakes.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-02-2013, 12:59 PM
(11-02-2013 11:31 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-02-2013 10:33 AM)KVron Wrote:  Instead of stop believing in god(s), people who have lost their faith prefer to believe in something rather than nothing.
This reminds me of a certain person here, but I can't seem to remember his name. Consider
Nappa with his conspiracy theory beliefs as opposed to belief in god?

Also, unfortunately I agree with this. I would like for people to become free thinkers and become allies of logic and reason, but that might take a long, long time...

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

11-02-2013, 01:25 PM
(11-02-2013 12:48 PM)Dom Wrote:  Hottest thing in real estate is houses with a "Zen room".
Out with the family room, in with the Zen room. Apparently sells like hot cakes.
Yes... that and these stuff you can find everywhere:

[Image: bracelet_sml.jpg]

[Image: good-luck-necklace.jpg]

[Image: good-luck-ring.jpg]
The worst thing is people do believe in pseudoscience and justify wearing those artifacts.

They even talk about quantum physics, atoms, magnetism and cosmological frequencies
(whatever that is) without understanding a word of what they're saying.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes KVron's post
12-02-2013, 01:36 AM
(11-02-2013 01:25 PM)KVron Wrote:  The worst thing is people do believe in pseudoscience and justify wearing those artifacts.

They even talk about quantum physics, atoms, magnetism and cosmological frequencies
(whatever that is) without understanding a word of what they're saying.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Or in this case, any sufficiently advanced scientific sounding stuff is sufficient for fueling your belief in woo-woo. I don't understand it, therefore magic! Dodgy

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
12-02-2013, 01:42 AM
Re: Major threat to religion
Just look at the Pacific Northwest...

The least religious region in the U.S. But it's a hotbed of new age beliefs.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-02-2013, 01:48 AM
It's questions, and scientific knowledge that threatens religion.

If the ignorance of nature gave birth to such a variety of gods, the knowledge of this nature is calculated to destroy them. - Dholbach

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
12-02-2013, 01:53 AM
(11-02-2013 10:33 AM)KVron Wrote:  I think atheism is not a major threat to religions. People want/like/need to believe in spirits, UFO's,
supernatural things, mysticism, auras, morphic fields, the after life, etc. etc.

No, atheism is not the threat. The threat is The New Age Movement. You can see it everywhere: from
music to "yoga relaxation techniques". It's slowly invading our world and those beliefs contradict what
formal religions say or preach. Instead, is more like a mix: some things from christianism, many from

Instead of stop believing in god(s), people who have lost their faith prefer to believe in something rather than
nothing. Most people cannot accept the idea of being death forever and while people "deconvert" they just change

That's why I can see how the number of new age followers will increase in the next years. It's just a change

So, we're swapping crazy for crazy?

Shit.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
12-02-2013, 02:17 AM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2013 02:55 AM by fstratzero.)
(11-02-2013 10:33 AM)KVron Wrote:  I think atheism is not a major threat to religions. People want/like/need to believe in spirits, UFO's,

That's the point we don't need to blindly follow anything.

I think higher order thinking skills/critical thinking skills are important. People need to understand their cultures, emotions, biases(or brain shortcuts), fallacies, all work together to drive you further from the truth.

When engaging a truth claim, you have to learn how to spot fallacies, biases, appeals to cultural norms, and appeals to emotions. To be able to see clearly what is truth and what is a falsehood predicated on intuition, or psychological tricks, made to help you accept nonsense.

Also it's very important to investigate, get down to the bottom of a news/science/documentary story, check sources, and read counter sources, to evaluate it.

With out learning those things, it's easy to be the victim of our own brains, and accept falsehoods with out knowing it.

"Humans are emotional animals, occasionally rational; and through their feelings they can be deceived to their hearts content" - Will Durant, Mansions of Philosophy

"Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what each man wishes, that he also believes to be true." - Demosthenes

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp