Make Them Happy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Make Them Happy
Hey all,

I've been having a personal dilemma and wondering what your opinion is on the matter.
First off, you are going to need a little background information about how I was raised. For the first 17 years of my life I was raised in a fully Jewish orthodox environment. I attended an orthodox synagogue, school and summer camp from the time I was 3 through senior year. Since a young age, I have always been a skeptic about what god wanted from me, but didn't voice my opinion for whatever the reason. During senior year I "came out" as an "atheist" to my close friends (who are all devout orthodox Jews), and only last month told my parents that I don't have the same belief system as they do (though they haven't gotten past the denial stage).
In the more modern orthodox Jewish community of America, a lot of the kids take a gap year after finishing high school and attend a religious seminary in Israel for a year. Instead of going to college right away, I decided that I wanted to push it off a year and instead attend a school in Israel. My parents, at the time, had no idea that I was an atheist and were thrilled that I wanted to go to Israel for a year since they noticed that I was "lacking" in the my spirituality. Instead of attending one of the classic seminaries that all my friends chose, I decided to go to a completely different program, a pre-army program, since it accepts you for being who you are, and doesn't really care how religious you are (they obviously attempt to try and make you more religious throughout the year) and I figured I could get something else out of the year - as I plan on pursuing a military career - besides for just having fun.

Now here is my predicament: as a general rule, I try to be as honest as possible. Part of the pre-military program is teaching the kids how to live independently. Us students are in charge of everything from cleaning to cooking and everything in between. Every month or so, it is my turn to cook for the rest of the group for a few days. Since the program is religious, they have a kosher kitchen. I know that I, as well as other kids in the program, have made the kitchen not kosher by accident during our various turns in the kitchen.
Some dishes are able to be made kosher again, but some you need to replace. I happened to make a utensil which would need to be replaced not kosher by accident. I ignored what I did, washed the dish and put it back onto the dish rack. Now every time someone uses that dish to cook with, their food is "not kosher."
I personally don't care if I eat kosher or not kosher, but I know that there are kids in the program that do.

The million dollar question: do I replace the dish, or let it stay not kosher and have the other kids in my program ruin their "soul and be damned?"

Thanks,
Moshe
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2010, 11:28 AM

RE: Make Them Happy
Better not mess with their food. If they found out you could be in serious danger and its really not worth it.
Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2010, 11:50 AM
I would tell them. Even if you don't believe it, it's important to them, and I don't see any reason to be a jerk to people just because you don't share their beliefs. Of course, I don't know what kind of punishment/backlash you would receive, so this should be taken with a grain of salt.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2010, 10:31 PM

Understand that the Jewish way of life is not only a religion but very much a culture. Don't respect religion, respect culture.

I understand that the two are not mutually exclusive, some Jewish people believe that eating non-kosher goes against Gods law and others are maintaining tradition.

Besides, the Jewish aren't the ones you should be pissing off, I recommend going for the majority a.k.a Christians who don't know what the bible actually teaches.

Seriously it's like they just finished genesis, threw the book away and said "yup fuck evolution"
30-05-2010, 11:33 AM

"I know that I, as well as other kids in the program, have made the kitchen not kosher by accident during our various turns in the kitchen. Some dishes are able to be made kosher again, but some you need to replace. I happened to make a utensil which would need to be replaced not kosher by accident. I ignored what I did, washed the dish and put it back onto the dish rack. Now every time someone uses that dish to cook with, their food is 'not kosher.'"

just tell them that, which you just expressed.