Make a difference

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Make a difference
I am not the only one depressed and simultaneously pissed off after November 8th. I am worried not only for the political future of our country, but the future of science funding and education and climate change. I don't know exactly what to do about it all but I damn sure know that fighting in some way is a good thing. Speaking up and speaking out. I have seen people donating to causes they support and that they think will need it in the coming years, and I applaud them. But there is another issue to deal with too, and it is the appalling lack of communication between Americans across the country. The rural communities don't engage with the urban, nor do they tend to interact with a lot of institutions centered around urban areas (research institutes or universities, etc).

So, I thought something I might try to do is communicating via my native newspaper. So, I have written (more than once) to the editor of the paper from my native town and gotten a few things published. I want to encourage everyone to do that too. Write letters to the editor and get your opinion in print (and in online versions of the paper) for a greater diversity of people to see. Subscribe to the paper. Try and help increase the communication and introduce people in rural communities to what an atheist really is. Thumbsup

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
17-11-2016, 11:29 AM
RE: Make a difference
The recent article here: http://www.lawrencecountyadvocate.net/v2...drew+Beard

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
17-11-2016, 11:34 AM
The first one I wrote in Sept 2015:

The second one I wrote in Oct 2015:

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
17-11-2016, 11:35 AM
Write to your local papers! Speak up!

-Rick
17-11-2016, 12:01 PM
Kudos! Well written and spot on.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
17-11-2016, 12:31 PM
You got the right idea -- but maybe just a tad behind on the media choice.....

But, if you think it'll work -- I suppose we could also send out some pager messages, or fax some people.....

I can send morse code too....

I think my nephew is good with semaphore as well...

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-11-2016, 12:48 PM
(17-11-2016 12:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You got the right idea -- but maybe just a tad behind on the media choice.....

But, if you think it'll work -- I suppose we could also send out some pager messages, or fax some people.....

Wink

Clearly I'm not reaching a large audience, but I'm reaching a specific one. That's why I'm encouraging more people to do the same. One person writing to one local paper won't do much. But what about a dozen? Two dozen?

-Rick
17-11-2016, 01:08 PM
(17-11-2016 12:31 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You got the right idea -- but maybe just a tad behind on the media choice.....

Wink

For what it's worth, I still buy a newspaper just about every day, and I read the letters to the editor (and I have written a few). And the store where I buy my paper has a whole pile of them every day. I don't think those would be there if no-one were buying them.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
17-11-2016, 01:26 PM
Now this is what I call making a difference.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
17-11-2016, 05:17 PM
(17-11-2016 12:48 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  

Wink

Clearly I'm not reaching a large audience, but I'm reaching a specific one. That's why I'm encouraging more people to do the same. One person writing to one local paper won't do much. But what about a dozen? Two dozen?

I suspect it's not really the specific one you're looking for.....

My guess -- (and yeah, it's just a guess) --- is newspapers reach mostly the retirees.......

I only know a few people who "read the paper" -- and every one of 'em is a geezer...... But -- I'd say they're a mixed bag of liberal/conservative ( D )/ ( R ).......

If they're the target audience -- you're spot on.....

And yeah -- I've had a couple of "letters to the editor" published......

Kinda fun, if nothing else...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.