Make a potential life and death decision for me TTA.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2015, 07:14 AM
Make a potential life and death decision for me TTA.
I love to hike. It's one of my few releases and break-aways that I can really indulge in. The only problem I've run into is finding people that can "do it right". My wife and father-in-law have come with me, but they usually call it in way before I'm ready. And, that's okay... but, now, I just want to be selfish and actually leave when I'm ready to leave (as I've never had that option).

The only person that I can count on that would share this fortitude is my brother, The Rev. So, I set up a trip this weekend... him and me... we've already gotten childcare taken care of and everything.

We're planning on going to hike the entire Tunica Hills trails (something I've nor he has ever done). I've got all the gear ready. We're good to go.

Some of you may know that LA is having one of the hottest, wettest summers in recent history... this is the crux of our problem.

I've found out that the temp will be between 100 and 104... straight up. No heat index... with 100% humidity. Now, since we are going to be going deep into the woods, we can expect a heat index of anywhere between 110-115. If you've never felt those temps with 100% humidity, it's something of wonder. The rough part is the lack of the ability to breathe. It's very hard to get oxygen in that type of weather and in that environment.

I'm no pansy... and neither is The Rev; however, we're also not idiots. I'm well aware that our lives could be in danger no matter how many precautions we take. So, now I'm force with the decision to call it off for a later date. But, it's so hard to align our schedules and we've already made adjustments just to be able to do it this weekend.

What do you think, TTA. Trudge forward or postpone it?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2015, 07:26 AM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2015 07:31 AM by DLJ.)
RE: Make a potential life and death decision for me TTA.
(15-07-2015 07:14 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...

Go for it. You'll be fine.
Evil_monster

Get The Rev to use his hotline to his version of god to find out what is predestined for you (y'all).

Drinking Beverage

Tongue

That is pretty warm though. It's in the 90s here at the moment (normal).

And for those living in up-to-date parts of the world, 100-110 F = 38 - 43 C

15-07-2015, 07:26 AM
If you go, there's a good chance that you will be billed for the rescue helicopter. Are you prepared for that?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 5 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
15-07-2015, 07:39 AM
(15-07-2015 07:14 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I love to hike. It's one of my few releases and break-aways that I can really indulge in. The only problem I've run into is finding people that can "do it right". My wife and father-in-law have come with me, but they usually call it in way before I'm ready. And, that's okay... but, now, I just want to be selfish and actually leave when I'm ready to leave (as I've never had that option).

The only person that I can count on that would share this fortitude is my brother, The Rev. So, I set up a trip this weekend... him and me... we've already gotten childcare taken care of and everything.

We're planning on going to hike the entire Tunica Hills trails (something I've nor he has ever done). I've got all the gear ready. We're good to go.

Some of you may know that LA is having one of the hottest, wettest summers in recent history... this is the crux of our problem.

I've found out that the temp will be between 100 and 104... straight up. No heat index... with 100% humidity. Now, since we are going to be going deep into the woods, we can expect a heat index of anywhere between 110-115. If you've never felt those temps with 100% humidity, it's something of wonder. The rough part is the lack of the ability to breathe. It's very hard to get oxygen in that type of weather and in that environment.

I'm no pansy... and neither is The Rev; however, we're also not idiots. I'm well aware that our lives could be in danger no matter how many precautions we take. So, now I'm force with the decision to call it off for a later date. But, it's so hard to align our schedules and we've already made adjustments just to be able to do it this weekend.

Are you sure that the rapture didn't happen and you were just left behind? At 104 without a heat index and 100% humidity sounds like satan's playground.

All joking aside, be careful dude.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
15-07-2015, 07:42 AM
The trail's not going anywhere why the rush? If you're worried about your life, and rightfully so by the sounds of it, I don't think it's worth the risk. Maybe if you were a young 20-something with no kids or wife and you do this thing all the time. But not when you're going on 50, have a wife and kids.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 6 users Like earmuffs's post
15-07-2015, 07:43 AM
I was going to suggest bringing lots of water, but with that humidity you could just drink the air.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like WillHopp's post
15-07-2015, 07:44 AM
(15-07-2015 07:42 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The trail's not going anywhere why the rush? If you're worried about your life, and rightfully so by the sounds of it, I don't think it's worth the risk. Maybe if you were a young 20-something with no kids or wife and you do this thing all the time. But not when you're going on 50, have a wife and kids.

I agree-- besides you'll enjoy it more when it's cooler.
15-07-2015, 07:56 AM
Brain damage from heatstroke Vs. waiting 'til the weather cools. HMMM let me think...
[+] 6 users Like Iñigo's post
15-07-2015, 08:05 AM
"Going on 50"?

Really, Muffs?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
15-07-2015, 08:06 AM
Don't do it. Around here, athletic events (marathons, bicycle rides/races, etc.) are cancelled at heat and humidity levels well below what you are describing. And the people who do these events are generally young and/or in tip-top shape. Don't do it.