Make a potential life and death decision for me TTA.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2015, 08:16 AM
RE: Make a potential life and death decision for me TTA.
I've had heat stroke patients in their thirties. These are dangerous temps.

So you've got the weekend off to have a bro weekend. Rent a boat and go have fun on Lake Pontchartrain or the Mississippi River. Or go gambling in Tunica. How about a cheap room at Gulf Shores - I've stayed at the Phoenix Hotel for pretty cheap, once I stayed there for less than they were charging at Best Western.

If you decide to go hiking anyway (which I don't advise), have cooling blankets and something like powdered Gatorade with your gear. Read up on the signs/symptoms of heat stroke. Fall is a much more suitable time.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like Nurse's post
15-07-2015, 08:29 AM
I am all for adventure, lived with the bears and all that. I understand this. I love to hike, climb mountains and explore caves. I would postpone this personally. I agree with keep the bro weekend but do a different activity and try again another time.

Also, you should have created a poll for the thread. Now you're going to have to tally yourself.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
15-07-2015, 09:04 AM
I would side with caution as you only live once.....in my opinion anyway. If you are a "god's plan" guy then wing it, if it is god's plan you live, you are good to go right? Tongue

Seriously though, if you have conditioned yourself for this by consistent workups to this level, and are properly rested, and geared up, go for it. Ensure you have emergency comms, tracking device, proper clothing, small first aid kit, and a copious amount of water augmented with powdered electrolytes. Most important thing is your doing it with a hiking buddy...highly recommended.

Best of luck.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
15-07-2015, 09:16 AM
Go, but go prepared and pay close attention to what your body is telling you. If you stop sweating you're fucked.

Nothing says that you can't simply stop if you feel the onset of heat exhaustion.

Take lots of water. Practice drinking each other's pee Angel

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
15-07-2015, 09:40 AM
I hike for a living, during the summer beating the trails in 105° (before indexing) and 80% humidity, four days a week.

I wouldn't do your hike, under the conditions you've described. You'll be a hell of a long way from help, and heat emergencies are dangerous insofar as they require immediate medical attention.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
15-07-2015, 09:43 AM
The police and fire department are always rescuing hikers here in Arizona where there is no humidity. People who do not respect Mother Nature generally come off second best.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
15-07-2015, 09:55 AM
Sit on your front porch and drink some beer. Cool

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
15-07-2015, 10:57 AM
My friend died last July hiking a fairly public trail he'd hiked nearly a dozen times. He parked his car at the trailhead and started out at about 8am. He had water, he even had water & food during the day with hikers he'd met on the trail that day. They found his body at 10pm, only slightly off the foot trail, a quarter of a mile from his car at the trailhead.

I'm still very angry about this.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
15-07-2015, 11:48 AM
You should wait, but if you don't be sure your cell phone has coverage in the area and is charged. Confused

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
15-07-2015, 02:27 PM
I'm gonna be unpopular and say go for it. I too love to hike, and part of the enjoyment is challenging my limits and learning to work with nature and the environment. So on a trip like this, the challenge will be to slow your pace and be vigilant. You know perfectly well HOW to stay healthy on the hike,the hard part is doing it. Stopping when the urge to press on is strong. Drinking BEFORE you're thirsty. Fueling your body so you don't run on empty half way through. These are the joys of hiking.

Go for the hike. Just don't put silly demands on yourself like needing to go a certain distance, or do it in a certain time frame. Allow for extra time. Extra food. Extra water.

Be smart and have fun!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post