Make a potential life and death decision for me TTA.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2015, 02:39 PM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2015 03:24 PM by Dom.)
RE: Make a potential life and death decision for me TTA.
(15-07-2015 07:14 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I love to hike. It's one of my few releases and break-aways that I can really indulge in. The only problem I've run into is finding people that can "do it right". My wife and father-in-law have come with me, but they usually call it in way before I'm ready. And, that's okay... but, now, I just want to be selfish and actually leave when I'm ready to leave (as I've never had that option).

The only person that I can count on that would share this fortitude is my brother, The Rev. So, I set up a trip this weekend... him and me... we've already gotten childcare taken care of and everything.

We're planning on going to hike the entire Tunica Hills trails (something I've nor he has ever done). I've got all the gear ready. We're good to go.

Some of you may know that LA is having one of the hottest, wettest summers in recent history... this is the crux of our problem.

I've found out that the temp will be between 100 and 104... straight up. No heat index... with 100% humidity. Now, since we are going to be going deep into the woods, we can expect a heat index of anywhere between 110-115. If you've never felt those temps with 100% humidity, it's something of wonder. The rough part is the lack of the ability to breathe. It's very hard to get oxygen in that type of weather and in that environment.

I'm no pansy... and neither is The Rev; however, we're also not idiots. I'm well aware that our lives could be in danger no matter how many precautions we take. So, now I'm force with the decision to call it off for a later date. But, it's so hard to align our schedules and we've already made adjustments just to be able to do it this weekend.

What do you think, TTA. Trudge forward or postpone it?

You are about to knowingly enter into a situation that has a high potential of going very wrong. Very expensive rescue efforts could be needed, forcing others to go into the same danger.

You know I don't think you are stupid, but that endeavor would be. Wait for better weather.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-07-2015, 02:50 PM
I have to tell my hiking death march story. My wife and I went to the Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma in 98 degree weather, we went on a trail that was 6-7 miles long and we each brought a 24 oz. bottle of water.

That was an almost fatal mistake, at about 4 miles in, my wife's legs started cramping to where she had to stop and stretch several minutes to where she could walk again. I started getting shortness of breath, on the verge of heatstroke. We had ran out of water, several miles from any potential help.

We sat in the shade for a few minutes and I realized that even though we ran out of drinking water, we could fill our empty bottles with water from a nearby stream and basically pour the water over our heads to cool down. This seemed to have worked, we limped out of the trail and made it back - barely.

We learned from that, we got hydration backpacks with over twice as much water with a cooling gel bladder in them and we vowed never to attempt such a hike again in high 90 degree weather.

We went back the next year with our cooled hydration backpacks in 80 degree weather. Needless to say, it was a very enjoyable hike with no issues.

You probably already know this without me saying it, respect the fuck out of wilderness and don't cut it close in terms of your physical capacity. It doesn't matter if you think you are super-hiker, your body just might not want to work in that type of heat and you will be toast!

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
15-07-2015, 03:08 PM
If you decide to go, is there a park station or something similar where you can notify someone of your intentions and route?
The more people who know where you went, the better.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
15-07-2015, 03:38 PM
(15-07-2015 10:57 AM)kim Wrote:  My friend died last July hiking a fairly public trail he'd hiked nearly a dozen times. He parked his car at the trailhead and started out at about 8am. He had water, he even had water & food during the day with hikers he'd met on the trail that day. They found his body at 10pm, only slightly off the foot trail, a quarter of a mile from his car at the trailhead.

I'm still very angry about this.

Sorry to hear that, Kim.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
15-07-2015, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 15-07-2015 09:33 PM by GirlyMan.)
Ain't thar gators you can rassell instead?

#sigh
[+] 8 users Like GirlyMan's post
15-07-2015, 04:46 PM
There are hiking pros here who've said they wouldn't risk those temperatures, and you've never hiked this particular trail!
Postpone it!
There's other shit to do closer to an A/C right now, and you can hike through an oven later when it's cooled down a couple million degrees!

[+] 5 users Like TheGulegon's post
15-07-2015, 09:16 PM
(15-07-2015 10:57 AM)kim Wrote:  My friend died last July hiking a fairly public trail he'd hiked nearly a dozen times. He parked his car at the trailhead and started out at about 8am. He had water, he even had water & food during the day with hikers he'd met on the trail that day. They found his body at 10pm, only slightly off the foot trail, a quarter of a mile from his car at the trailhead.

I'm still very angry about this.

That's shitty, I'd be angry too. Sad Sorry to hear about your friend.
15-07-2015, 09:32 PM
You have young children - it's no longer only about you.

It's an irresponsible risk.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Chas's post
15-07-2015, 10:35 PM
(15-07-2015 02:50 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I have to tell my hiking death march story. My wife and I went to the Wichita Mountains in Oklahoma in 98 degree weather, we went on a trail that was 6-7 miles long and we each brought a 24 oz. bottle of water.

That was an almost fatal mistake, at about 4 miles in, my wife's legs started cramping to where she had to stop and stretch several minutes to where she could walk again. I started getting shortness of breath, on the verge of heatstroke. We had ran out of water, several miles from any potential help.

We sat in the shade for a few minutes and I realized that even though we ran out of drinking water, we could fill our empty bottles with water from a nearby stream and basically pour the water over our heads to cool down. This seemed to have worked, we limped out of the trail and made it back - barely.

We learned from that, we got hydration backpacks with over twice as much water with a cooling gel bladder in them and we vowed never to attempt such a hike again in high 90 degree weather.

We went back the next year with our cooled hydration backpacks in 80 degree weather. Needless to say, it was a very enjoyable hike with no issues.

You probably already know this without me saying it, respect the fuck out of wilderness and don't cut it close in terms of your physical capacity. It doesn't matter if you think you are super-hiker, your body just might not want to work in that type of heat and you will be toast!

But I thought the universe was finely tuned for human life............

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 2 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
16-07-2015, 02:02 AM
I don't understand why it's even a question. You hike because you enjoy it. The conditions you describe appear to ruin all that makes hiking enjoyable and leave you wracked and panting just because your schedule happened to mesh? So your partner in this venture is your equal in this type of outing, and you rarely get to enjoy that sort of hiking companionship. But it ain't a hike you'd be doing together, you'd be sharing an unpleasant ordeal. Wait for when you can do a hike together that's a hike so you both enjoy it. It's as if you're wondering whether to go wind-surfing with a wind-surfing buddy who's your equal at wind-surfing - but there's no wind! Shouldn't even be a question.