Make fun of your ex-faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2012, 08:01 PM
RE: Make fun of your ex-faith
(27-06-2012 03:38 PM)Leela Wrote:  KC: atheist is not a faith... you should know that.
Also this was supposed to be for some laughter and making yourself ridiculous. Your post is not fun at all...
I thought it was pretty funny. I've been to most of them places. I've seen some atheists that live there. And I don't like your post, I hit the reply button... but it moved. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2012, 01:39 AM
So I get it, most of you don't find stuff that was simply ridiculous in your ex-faith?
Well that's a shame...

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
28-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Ok, to put this into perspective, I was about ten, ok?

- I believed that when I die, I'm going to be in heaven with Jesus and everyone I every know.
- I believed that if I closed my eyes and telepathically asked my invisible friend, I would not have nightmares when I went to bed.
- I believed that a man 2000 years ago died for my sins, and every time I lied or had a bad thought, I was personally making him suffer
- I believed an invisible man in the sky created dinosaurs, and then killed them all
- I believed a random Jew was born of a virgin, and that it was somehow relevant in the greater scheme of things

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post
28-06-2012, 08:23 AM
(28-06-2012 01:39 AM)Leela Wrote:  So I get it, most of you don't find stuff that was simply ridiculous in your ex-faith?
Well that's a shame...
Well, I don't have an ex-faith, and I suspect many others don't.

Wait, wait! I used to believe that LSD connected me to the whole universe and the one truth.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
28-06-2012, 10:51 AM
(28-06-2012 01:39 AM)Leela Wrote:  So I get it, most of you don't find stuff that was simply ridiculous in your ex-faith?
Well that's a shame...

Sorry, no ex-faith here. But FEAR is a big pile of ridiculousness that I'm certain has effected everyone irrationally in some way... I know it's effected me in ways I now find completely laughable.

When I was a kid, I would leaf trough nature books to look at the photos. I would spend a lot of time gazing at every inch of the photos of trees, flowers, landscapes, animals, and peoples' faces. National Geographic was my very best friend.

BUT... scary things...oooh! I had to turn the page really fast because I thought the snake or rat would come out of the book and bite me. SERIOUSLY. They always looked so sinister and they always looked right at me... I knew they would be able to come out of the book, because somewhere they were real!

These fears were reinforced; when snakes(rattlers) were in my grandma's garden, the grandkids were all ordered into the house until one of the adults shot it. We were only ever permitted to view this dead snake through the screened window, as it lay dead on a shovel. Same thing with mice and rats; must never get too close, even to the dead ones!

It was as if the adults around me were practically telling me that inanimate things could come alive and harm me! What fucking idiots! I was probably 10 years old before I could stomach up the nerve to really examine a photo of a snake, and even then I didn't want to get too close!
Some fears are rational... but when they take over your life, they become irrational to the point of being ridiculous... and laughable.

Today, I love snakes... I think they are beautiful. Here's the latest most amazing pic I've run across... I still imagine it moving... but I know it's my imagination that makes it do so. Wink
[Image: whitesnake.jpg]
Ugh, rats; still trying to work on the rat thing. I have a ways to go. Thankfully, snakes eat rats. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
28-06-2012, 11:43 AM
I thought about this a little.
Maybe it is not easy to have a laugh about your own ex-faith because it shows how ridiculous things you were into, it might make you look bad or something. Or it is that saying all these thing show how tragic it actually is that there are still people out there believing such things.

I personally like to take a humorous approach to this specific topic. Not only because those things are indeed laughable, but also it shows me how ridiculous and stupid some things are and reinforces my non belief.

Like, seriously?
Did you not think some obviously very stupid things and nowadays you just wanna bang your head against the wall because it used to be you who thought these things?
I am facepalming when I think back and know that I once too people serious who told me they do in fact get invisible when they concentrate on imagining a golden shield around them... AND I tried it too AND I thought it worked!
I am sitting here, typing this little fact, eyes wide open and not able anymore to understand how I was able to believe something like that. And I'd rather laugh about it then look at how sad it is that others do still believe this.

[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
28-06-2012, 12:19 PM
(28-06-2012 11:43 AM)Leela Wrote:  I thought about this a little.
Maybe it is not easy to have a laugh about your own ex-faith because it shows how ridiculous things you were into, it might make you look bad or something. Or it is that saying all these thing show how tragic it actually is that there are still people out there believing such things.

I personally like to take a humorous approach to this specific topic. Not only because those things are indeed laughable, but also it shows me how ridiculous and stupid some things are and reinforces my non belief.

Like, seriously?
Did you not think some obviously very stupid things and nowadays you just wanna bang your head against the wall because it used to be you who thought these things?
I am facepalming when I think back and know that I once too people serious who told me they do in fact get invisible when they concentrate on imagining a golden shield around them... AND I tried it too AND I thought it worked!
I am sitting here, typing this little fact, eyes wide open and not able anymore to understand how I was able to believe something like that. And I'd rather laugh about it then look at how sad it is that others do still believe this.

It is difficult to laugh at one's self... but I think the more one knows, the easier it gets. Ha -and the more ridiculous it all seems to have been. People usually get around to laughing at things they've left behind, or things they now know are stupid, which they once thought completely true. I now know I can laugh about my irrational fears.

Not too long ago, a friend of mine was showing me her gerbil or hamster -some rat-like creature- and I was ok with it, until it wriggled out of her grasp and dropped to the floor. At at that point I shot straight up to the nearest high surface.
While standing on her computer desk shouting, "get it, get it"... we both realized how funny my ludicrous behavior was. Shy Laughat

Awkward... but not really... I had informed her of my psychotic fear and we both had a good laugh. Well, at first only I smiled... I finally laughed when she got that hideous creature back in it's cage where it fucking belongs. Blush Laughat

Like I said, I've got a ways to go with the rat thing. Dodgy Laughat

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
28-06-2012, 12:27 PM
I'll play along, but you have to go to another thread to see me laugh at my old faith. Big Grin
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ot-anymore

[Image: 2011-12-11_172926.png]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
28-06-2012, 12:39 PM
@kim
I absolutely aggree about it being difficult to laugh about yourself. But that is something we should learn. To tell yourself "take it easy, relax" seriously and not with the sarcastic tone that makes it seem like such a negative thing.
Think things through, get peaceful with yourself and have a goooood laugh about yourself Smile
People take themselfes too serious much of the time Wink

[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
28-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Oh yea, Erx... I never went to that thread... I was never theistic, so I guess I had no comment. That's the first time I read that cover letter... you seemed quite sincere in your intent. Wanting to help people is admirable. But wanting to help them become deluded is scary as shit! Confused

You must have struggled with this tremendously. I think I saw a post where you said you only hope you didn't say something that would mess up a young kid trying to find his way. I always admired you saying that.

Wanting to help people isn't crazy, though. Why didn't you get into snake handling? That would have been hysterical! Smile