Make the world a better place

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-12-2015, 08:39 PM
RE: Make the world a better place
(03-12-2015 06:50 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Totally think tipping is a corrupt, dishonest, and harmful practice. But that's a separate issue.
Yeah, tips aren't done in NZ. Here it is the business owner's responsibility to hire, train, observe, correct, reward their own staff.

Don't need that pressure between staff and customers.

When I go overseas I am so unconfortable, don't know if I am supposed to tip or not and how much I should give. It's very awkward.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
03-12-2015, 08:42 PM
What a great thread Heart

I give a lot of money to animal rights/animal welfare charities. I volunteer my time at these places as well because they are so understaffed and are doing amazing work. I also rescue animals myself--everything from pigeons to squirrels to dogs and cats.

Sadly, we have a huge homeless population here in CA, many of them live on the streets with their dogs or cats. I work with agencies that help bring both people and their pets some food, water, and warm blankets. I also make sure I have food, water, and blankets in my car at all times so I can give these things to a homeless person or a homeless person with a pet if I come across them.

A little kindness always goes a long way.
[+] 3 users Like jennybee's post
03-12-2015, 10:55 PM
I have a charitable foundation. We give money for educational purposes - anything from college scholarships to a new copier for the Historical Society. I love following the kids through their university years - we recently had our first PhD!!

On a personal side, I really enjoy giving anonymous gifts for no particular reason. I've been known to mail gift certificates for the local grocery to needy families in town. Or flowers to people I know must be down. Or a few bucks for animal rescue. I think if I somehow won the lottery, I'd give most of it away. There's no better feeling than the feeling being kind, helpful, or generous gives you. And nobody really needs to know but me.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 5 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
04-12-2015, 12:55 AM
A 1982 movie helped set the direction for the altruistic elements of my character.

I decided to emulate the protagonist, The Reverend Charles Fortescue.

Nuff said.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
04-12-2015, 02:19 AM
I would like to make the world a better place - but unfortunately, it's still illegal to kill the rat bastards who so desperately deserve it ........

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
04-12-2015, 04:22 AM
I just helped a woman who has been on dialysis walk up the street when I went to get dinner.

Can you imagine me with my cane and Hitch 22 and my medical pack hanging on me, helping her. Smile

Turns out she was on the floor below me at the hospital. She got home safely.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
04-12-2015, 04:52 AM
(03-12-2015 10:55 PM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  There's no better feeling than the feeling being kind, helpful, or generous gives you. And nobody really needs to know but me.

That's great that you can be that altruistic anonymously. My experience is most people can't. I volunteer for a few things and there are a lot of people who can't tell you enough how wonderful they are for helping and what a big "thank you" they deserve. I think most of these people have their heart in the right place, but human nature is that we want recognition. I recognize some of this in me, but I'm conscious of it and try to keep my mouth shut. It's a rare person that doesn't need that thank you.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
04-12-2015, 04:57 AM
(03-12-2015 06:50 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Totally think tipping is a corrupt, dishonest, and harmful practice. But that's a separate issue.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
04-12-2015, 05:19 AM
(03-12-2015 08:42 PM)jennybee Wrote:  What a great thread Heart

I give a lot of money to animal rights/animal welfare charities. I volunteer my time at these places as well because they are so understaffed and are doing amazing work. I also rescue animals myself--everything from pigeons to squirrels to dogs and cats.

Sadly, we have a huge homeless population here in CA, many of them live on the streets with their dogs or cats. I work with agencies that help bring both people and their pets some food, water, and warm blankets. I also make sure I have food, water, and blankets in my car at all times so I can give these things to a homeless person or a homeless person with a pet if I come across them.

A little kindness always goes a long way.

You are a very kind person. I pale in comparison. ACS volunteer, help with battered women shelter, and just being kind to the person in my neighborhood (which is a retirement community with many elderly people) who are grateful for the most simple act of kindness.

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
[+] 1 user Likes OhDannyBoy's post
04-12-2015, 06:15 AM
OP, dogs help people all the time. They lift our spirits. Your help is more direct than it seems.
When I reach down and help someone in a bind, it does not bring me down. It brings everybody in reach up.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post