Making Excuses For God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-05-2013, 07:28 PM
Making Excuses For God
Now that I'm an atheist, I think about all the times people made excuses for God's irrational behavior, and it really makes me sick. People have suffered for centuries for the glory of God and it wasn't even worth it. Let's suppose I adopted God's nature. Would any Christian make excuses for me? If I, as a human being, intentionally dropped off my only son in the presence of some primitive jungle tribe that shrinks heads for a hobby, and left him there to get killed, I'd be arrested for murder and child neglect! Imagine, my fellow non-believers, if God Almighty had the same morality as the district attorney making his accusations against me in a court of law. The DA would ask the judge to keep me locked away for life in prison so that I may not harm any future children I might have. However, my 'rational' excuse, as I stand before the judge, would be, "I offered my son as a sacrifice to atone for the sins of that tribe."

STOP AND THINK ABOUT THAT FOR A MOMENT.

If I, as a regular human being, can be judged harshly for such behavior, then why the hell do people make excuses for Jehovah, the god of Abraham, for sacrificing His only son for all the sins of mankind? Or ordering the deaths of firstborn Egyptian males and Canaanite babies?! This god, who is supposed to set the standard of moral behavior for all mankind, is not subject to any arrest or trial by virtue of being the creator of life on Earth. This god hates the sins of humans and punishes them for it, yet there are no other beings of His status that can arrest, judge, and punish Him for the murder of innocent babies, and ordering the rape and pillage of other tribes. How convenient. I find it amazing how people can switch off all logic and reason when it comes to the subject of God and His nature. They say, "It's God's will." In the book of Job, God claims that everything belongs to Him and no one can challenge Him. Well, basically, that means, "Fuck you, I can do whatever I want...but you can't." What an arrogant being He is---demanding the imperfect to become perfect. Demanding animal sacrifices, tithing among those who can barely pay for their own meals, worship and praise, and killing your enemies as well as their children---all for His glory. We are only figures on a chessboard for His pleasure. All these priests, pastors, rabbis, clerics, and religious laymen are zealously spreading a gospel of mindless submission to a supernatural, all-powerful, invisible being, who is able to create anything, live in a dimension beyond space and time, and defy the laws of physics, yet chooses not to use His power to feed millions of children in several nations dying from disease and malnutrition, or rescue people (even His most righteous followers) from being tortured to death. He also chooses NOT TO FORGIVE lesser beings, such as ourselves, who are (supposedly) naturally compelled to sin, unless there's a blood sacrifice. A deity, such as this, who could, by choice, end the suffering of people worldwide, and who, by choice, could simply forgive our misdeeds without the killing & burning of livestock or His only child, but chooses not to and brags about how powerful and unstoppable He is---this self-righteous, mass-murdering, psychotic, narcissistic deity is not deserving of anyone's worship and praise!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like CaliforniaSurf's post
15-05-2013, 09:40 PM
RE: Making Excuses For God
(15-05-2013 07:28 PM)CaliforniaSurf Wrote:  Let's suppose I adopted God's nature. Would any Christian make excuses for me?

He would if he were your child.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-05-2013, 10:22 PM
It was all part of your perfect plan CaliforniaSurf. You'll see. Everyone will see, and on that day every knee will bow and every tongue confess that you are Lord.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
16-05-2013, 04:22 AM
You're funny. Laughat

(15-05-2013 10:22 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  It was all part of your perfect plan CaliforniaSurf. You'll see. Everyone will see, and on that day every knee will bow and every tongue confess that you are Lord.
16-05-2013, 04:55 AM

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
16-05-2013, 04:54 PM
(16-05-2013 04:55 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  

That guy's fucking brilliant. He looks like a preacher, got the hellfire and brimstone intonations of a preacher, but swears like a goddam sailor. These are sermons I can enjoy. Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Excuses to Drink Misanthropik 17 357 16-01-2014 10:01 PM
Last Post: Misanthropik
  My parents are making me go to confirmation? (also sort of rant-y) AddyCat 6 142 27-08-2013 11:38 PM
Last Post: morondog