Making Life Multiplanetary - Elon Musk

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2017, 06:12 AM
Making Life Multiplanetary - Elon Musk
This is where he announces his BFR and how it will get us to the Moon, Mars and flights to any part of the planet in about 30 minutes.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
30-09-2017, 06:18 AM
RE: Making Life Multiplanetary - Elon Musk
Mars colonies will depend on Earth for a long time, so just setting one up won't make the species extinction-proof. A hundred years or so to get a viable independent colony is a more optimistic estimate among those I've seen.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
30-09-2017, 10:13 AM
(30-09-2017 06:18 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Mars colonies will depend on Earth for a long time, so just setting one up won't make the species extinction-proof. A hundred years or so to get a viable independent colony is a more optimistic estimate among those I've seen.

Yeah. I think optimists tend to underestimate just how hostile hostile a place Mars is.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
30-09-2017, 10:33 AM
(30-09-2017 10:13 AM)tomilay Wrote:  
(30-09-2017 06:18 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Mars colonies will depend on Earth for a long time, so just setting one up won't make the species extinction-proof. A hundred years or so to get a viable independent colony is a more optimistic estimate among those I've seen.

Yeah. I think optimists tend to underestimate just how hostile hostile a place Mars is.

They haven't taken Mark Watney's survival class yet. Drinking Beverage
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
30-09-2017, 08:56 PM
I thnk it's a great ideagoal to strive for.

Though, given the inherant issues with the lower gravity it will be interesting to see what developes to address such issues.

EVentually it'll be a great strepping stone for moving inwards to Venus.

Imagine, giant teflon cloud habitats floating high above the Venus surface as they work at cooling the planet's atmosphere? Big Grin
30-09-2017, 08:59 PM
(30-09-2017 08:56 PM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Imagine, giant teflon cloud habitats floating high above the Venus surface as they work at cooling the planet's atmosphere? Big Grin

And in twenty years or so, we can be practicing it here on Earth!

[+] 2 users Like jerry mcmasters's post
30-09-2017, 09:50 PM
Interplanetary colonization is a cool idea and imo untenable. Take the International Space Station as an example, barely out of our atmosphere and difficult to maintain, to man and to resupply and we’re talking about housing only 6 astronauts, not a colony. The cost so far is around 160 billion dollars.

We should be thinking of ways to unfuck our planet instead.

I love man’s quest for exploration outside Earth but at the rate we’re destroying the only habitable planet we have or can reach we won’t live long enough as a species to colonize another. We might put a few people on Mars but it’s not going to help us here I’m afraid.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
01-10-2017, 05:21 AM
Good news is that in the foreseeable future we will have a huge laboratory to use in learning how to live in hostile environments.
01-10-2017, 06:14 AM
I think mankind's only hope is not to colonise space, but to exploit it and manufacture in space using automated robots that can then send stuff back down into our gravity well. That would mean that we would be better able to exploit the abundant energy from the sun and also move all the polluting manufacturing and mining processes off-world where there will be far more to supplies to exploit.
01-10-2017, 06:32 AM
Like the hyperloop, these are pipe dreams used to raise money. Spend 10 million on a hyperloop test pipe in order to raise 100 million or more.

Imagine you get 30 people to Mars with some kind of bio capsules capable of sustaining their life for a couple months.

Then the pitch becomes "Without your continued funding, these 30 brave souls will die."

And that's when he's got you. He has hostages that will die if you don't pay. And if you don't pay, you'll be an accessory to killing them.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results