Making a Difference

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Making a Difference
It's amazing how frustrating life has become.
In a lot of ways, I'm truly free now. However, in the ways it matters (to me) I'm now carrying more chains then ever before.
I want to make a difference. I want to make changes in my community. I want to be a positive influence to everyone I meet.
I have ideas that I believe could help. I have an optimistic personality that I want to exploit.
So what's stopping me??
Age, appearance, and a lack of a college degree.
I do have the vocabulary, the knowledge, and charisma that I would need.
Just, no support.

So, how do I (kindly) step up and start making myself heard????
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Patricia's post
19-02-2014, 02:02 PM
RE: Making a Difference
You could start a meetup group in your community.

Welcome to the forum! Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
19-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Raise your voice in any way you can and stop making excuse es for not doing anything, you don't have to make a huge difference, but if you want to make one there are many ways to do it, youtube doesn't ask you for a degree or for good looks so that's one way.

My next hit is to write a good paper on the lies of religion and put it on peoples windshield outside the church so they can read it when they come out of mass Evil_monster

It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.
19-02-2014, 09:16 PM
Welcome to the forum.

How do you make a difference? I would say give yourself a specific goal, aim towards that goal and don't make excuses.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
19-02-2014, 10:09 PM
(19-02-2014 12:09 PM)Patricia Wrote:  It's amazing how frustrating life has become.
In a lot of ways, I'm truly free now. However, in the ways it matters (to me) I'm now carrying more chains then ever before.
I want to make a difference. I want to make changes in my community. I want to be a positive influence to everyone I meet.
I have ideas that I believe could help. I have an optimistic personality that I want to exploit.
So what's stopping me??
Age, appearance, and a lack of a college degree.
I do have the vocabulary, the knowledge, and charisma that I would need.
Just, no support.

So, how do I (kindly) step up and start making myself heard????
Be yourself.

And also build something giant. When The news crew comes and interviews you., On LIVE television, preach your word onto the unsuspecting.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
19-02-2014, 11:03 PM
What kind of difference?
19-02-2014, 11:20 PM
Welcome to the forum, darlin' Big Grin

Hm, what kind of difference did you have in mind? And do you mean by community? Like within your town or wider? If you're going for more than just your town, a youtube channel might be a good idea (like netninja said). Come up with a theme that would draw people in and be yourself! If you're wanting local, I'd say try to form a group and do things in the community. Not something like really big at first but maybe something small. Like get a few other atheists together and go serve at a food pantry or do a car wash/cookie sale. Something to get your name out there in a way that when people hear that your atheist group did it, they'll more likely say, "huh, maybe atheists aren't as bad as I thought" and then when you get more recognizable, do something bigger like a...pfft...I don't know :/ Food drive? Though if you do the cookie thing, don't set up near Girl Scouts. You might have a rivalry. Actually do it, it might be entertaining. Little Brownie Scout Cindy might have a mean left hook but she's not as tough as she looks!

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Miss Suzanne's post
20-02-2014, 01:25 AM
I understand completely. Celebrated my 30th birthday a few weeks ago and I realized I hadn't achieved anything to to save humanity.

I'd really love to go into politics and have the ability to change something, but in my country, that isn't possible untl you're at the top of the food chain. And to get there, you need to sell your soul, self-respect and values to stay in line with party policy. I can't do that.

"Yes, lowering taxes for the super rich and raising them for commuters without a company car will make EVERYONE prosperous"

Frustrating, I know. I wonder how I can make real changes without losing myself? Sorry, can't answer that for you, but I hope you find something...

About the college degree, I started when I was 25 via distance learning because I felt too smart for my job. Normally I'll graduate this year and be a full fledgded MSc. I gave up my social life for it and missed a few job opportunities, but it'll be rewarding afterwards. If you can pay it, give it a try, it's really not that hard. Remember, even George W Bush has an MBA...

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
20-02-2014, 01:34 AM
If you want to make a difference in anything, you will have to get rid of the, I'll silence myself first so I won't have to begin anything, excuses and get going.

Just holding the hand of an old and abandoned person in a nursing home will make a difference. You're not going to hear a band play and no fireworks, but it will make a difference to one.

Or, how about the environment. There is so much there to attend to--like consciousness raising activities.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post