Making a Murderer (Netflix series)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2016, 06:41 AM
Making a Murderer (Netflix series)
Anyone see this mini-series documentary style thing on Netflix titled "Making A Murderer"? I don't want to spoil anything for folks who are unfamiliar with the cases, so if you want to watch it later and don't want spoilers, clock the back button now.

Opinions on the verdicts? From what was presented in the series alone here is my opinion on the cases against both Steven and his nephew, whose name is escaping me at the moment.

Steven probably did it or was in some way involved - however I think his defense successfully brought up enough question that I had reasonable doubt as to whether he did it. Some of the officers definitely had an ax to grind and were way more involved than they purported to be and should've been considereing the circumstances. Every peice of evidence discovered was by the county police. The bones location near his house made sense, bu the bone fragments in the quarry made no sense. The eyewitness accounts seemed to very very unreliable.

His nephew, I believe is innocent. He is very nearly legally retarded, young, and was in my opinion coerced. His first interview he was desperately guessing as to what the police interrogators wanted to here but still couldn't guess it until he was led to it out of frustration by the cops. His awful lawyer didn't help matters and had dubious motives themselves. The people hired to help him even admitted to wanting to destroying the family. How in the hell he was convicted is beyond me.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2016, 07:39 AM
RE: Making a Murderer (Netflix series)
Lol, and taking how many hours and searches before they found that key in plain sight on his bedroom floor?
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
25-01-2016, 07:45 AM
Have seen it, just saying if a rozzer stops me in Manitowoc County I am shooting my way out Smile
25-01-2016, 11:08 AM
(25-01-2016 06:41 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Anyone see this mini-series documentary style thing on Netflix titled "Making A Murderer"? I don't want to spoil anything for folks who are unfamiliar with the cases, so if you want to watch it later and don't want spoilers, clock the back button now.

Opinions on the verdicts? From what was presented in the series alone here is my opinion on the cases against both Steven and his nephew, whose name is escaping me at the moment.

Steven probably did it or was in some way involved - however I think his defense successfully brought up enough question that I had reasonable doubt as to whether he did it. Some of the officers definitely had an ax to grind and were way more involved than they purported to be and should've been considereing the circumstances. Every peice of evidence discovered was by the county police. The bones location near his house made sense, bu the bone fragments in the quarry made no sense. The eyewitness accounts seemed to very very unreliable.

His nephew, I believe is innocent. He is very nearly legally retarded, young, and was in my opinion coerced. His first interview he was desperately guessing as to what the police interrogators wanted to here but still couldn't guess it until he was led to it out of frustration by the cops. His awful lawyer didn't help matters and had dubious motives themselves. The people hired to help him even admitted to wanting to destroying the family. How in the hell he was convicted is beyond me.

I read an article (well a series of them) that separates the facts -- because everyone was talking about it.

In other words, the documentary was slanted.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

25-01-2016, 11:14 AM
(25-01-2016 11:08 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  In other words, the documentary was slanted.

Agreed there is other evidence. Not saying he is completely innocent however, there are enough questions around police integrity and procedure that demonstrated it was not a fair trial.
26-01-2016, 10:32 PM
(25-01-2016 11:08 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 06:41 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  Anyone see this mini-series documentary style thing on Netflix titled "Making A Murderer"? I don't want to spoil anything for folks who are unfamiliar with the cases, so if you want to watch it later and don't want spoilers, clock the back button now.

I read an article (well a series of them) that separates the facts -- because everyone was talking about it.

All documentaries are - at least all of them I have seen. Someone made the documentary for a reason - whether they have a political agenda, or they are trying to create controversy to get more money or...well I guess that probably about covers it - Someone made the thing because they wanted something from you. Of course, it can still be accurate and have an agenda too. It was pretty clear that this doc was trying to generate $$$ by bringing up a controversial and interesting case and slanting against the police. Corruption is always interesting. Even if I push the bullshit/speculation aside, it does seem like corruption was certainly there and neither party got a fair trail. That's what the documentarian wanted me to think, I think, and that is what I think, I think. Anyhow, dude was probably involved in some way.

Sorry for the lazy writing and rambling. Kinda feeling lazy. Going to bed. Sleepy

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
23-04-2016, 01:12 AM
(25-01-2016 11:08 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

You should watch the series. The evidence on its own is pretty compelling. Bones in his fire pit. Key in his trailer. Car on his property. His blood in the car. Brandon, his nephew's confession.

But you need to see the context. Trust me. No sane person would convict Brandon or Steven if they knew the context. Both, and especially Brandon, are products of a fucked up failing system. And in Steven's case, corruption.

This. This is exactly why when I was at university I wished I had done criminal law. Too often people forget "innocent until proven guilty" and are too quick to judge without knowing the facts or even wanting to hear the facts. And so accused often get a raw deal. Even in cases where they did do it they get raw deals where the punishment doesn't fit the crime. In American is it absolutely out of control. Your justice system is a dirty, failed system from the top down that is 100 years overdue for a massive overhaul.

[Image: oscar.png]
23-04-2016, 01:27 AM
I watched it a while back. I lean toward thinking Steven and the nephew are innocent of the murder.

It simply took too long to find 'evidence' that should have been immediately discovered. What was it - seven months to find keys that were next to a shoe on the floor - and the place was supposedly searched several times.

I also think it was shoddy police interrogation tactics used on the nephew who is not the smartest kid...I think he was easily led by the police. Considering his diminished mental ability, he should never have been interviewed without there being someone there to advocate for him and help him understand what was going on.

Even if they are guilty...that's one hell of a group of shady members of law enforcement, the justice system, and local government in general. Way too much ass-covering going on.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
23-04-2016, 03:11 AM
Even if they're guilty, which they're not, there's not enough evidence beyond reasonable doubt and so they never should have been convicted.

The only reason Brandon was convicted was based on a coerced confession that he said and admitted that the Police got into his head.
Confessions should not be evidence enough to convict someone. Especially in such a heinous crime. There was not one shred of DNA evidence that what he said happened happened. And he said she was raped, tied to the bed and stabbed and mutilated. How the fuck would there NOT be DNA???? No blood spatter, no fibers, no sweat. Nothing. NOTHING.

You can't convict someone to life on just a confession. You just can't. You can't. That's not how justice works. ESPECIALLY when it's a 16 year old borderline retarded kid.
It does my head in that the police that handled his interview did so in the manner they did it in. It does my head in that a lawyer can argue it was ok. And most of all, it does my head in 12 people could convict him to life in prison based on it.

Mind blowing. Human nature at it's absolute fucking finest.

I'll go into Steven's case at a later date, I feel that is gonna be a massive novel of a post and I really CBF right now.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
23-04-2016, 04:00 AM
(23-04-2016 03:11 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'll go into Steven's case at a later date, I feel that is gonna be a massive novel of a post and I really CBF right now.

Oh come on, Dark Souls isn't going anywhere, so how about you tell us how you really feel? Tongue

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]