Making small strides

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-07-2016, 06:54 PM
Making small strides
It was heartening to hear the following passage in Corey Booker's speech during the 1st day of the Democratic Election:

And upon this faithful foundation we built a great nation, and today, no matter who you are – rich or poor, Asian or white, man or woman, gay or straight, any religion or none at all – you are entitled to the full rights and responsibilities of citizenship.

But then, of course, there was this:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics...-1.2725247

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mgoering's post
27-07-2016, 07:30 PM
RE: Making small strides
That is a wonderful thing to say and it's true, it really shouldn't matter what labels define you. It's very unfortunate to see atheism is still considered taboo in this modern age in the political sphere. Why does someone need an imaginary friend to be a good leader? They really don't and if anything it only makes them accountable to that imaginary being instead of the people they are representing and supposed to be leading.

It just reminds me of those people who say gay people should stay behind closed doors because they don't want their kids to see it, do you think it will turn them gay? Do you think an atheist president would make children drop their religion? If you don't want your kids to ever see gay people or atheists or anyone who is different then don't have kids, this world is diverse, get over it.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
27-07-2016, 08:36 PM
RE: Making small strides
(27-07-2016 07:30 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  That is a wonderful thing to say and it's true, it really shouldn't matter what labels define you. It's very unfortunate to see atheism is still considered taboo in this modern age in the political sphere. Why does someone need an imaginary friend to be a good leader? They really don't and if anything it only makes them accountable to that imaginary being instead of the people they are representing and supposed to be leading.

It just reminds me of those people who say gay people should stay behind closed doors because they don't want their kids to see it, do you think it will turn them gay? Do you think an atheist president would make children drop their religion? If you don't want your kids to ever see gay people or atheists or anyone who is different then don't have kids, this world is diverse, get over it.

If you tell your kids fantastical tales of a "god" who is also your best friend --- an uber hero - who not only created the universe -- but is all-powerful, all knowing - and capable of absolutely anything ---- at some point - the kid is going to want a bit of proof............

If some guy comes along - and presents a logical argument that this "god" person is fiction ---- a fair number of kids are going to listen...........

I can see why they're so threatened by atheists..............

They should be.

Cool

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.