Making the Punisment Fit the Crime (PETA painters)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-11-2016, 12:28 PM
RE: Making the Punisment Fit the Crime (PETA painters)
Coupla comments.

First: IIRC, PETA is on a watch list of organizations that are almost, but not quite, terrorists. Basically, they're very borderline. So they're already almost on the REAL list.

Second: Personally, throwing paint on someone does not equal terrorism. Flying a plane into a fur factory, sure. Paint, seriously? Not the same thing.

Third: PETA could gain so much more support if they weren't rampaging assholes.

Fourth: If you're wearing a coat that costs more than my car, don't expect me to feel bad for you when it gets dirty.

And finally, to reference Duke Nukem: PETA really stands for: People Eating Tasty Animals.

Just my two cents.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
25-11-2016, 01:23 PM
(25-11-2016 11:16 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Well, I'm not into wearing fur coats just for fashion. I think fur should be worn for warmth because there's nothing warmer than an actual fur coat. I have a rabbit fur hat and a couple of clothing items made of fur.

But here's the thing with the clothing industry. Most of the clothing we wear today is made from petroleum and the process of turning petroleum into wearable clothing is really horrible for the environment. The Polyester, nylon, dacron and all the other forms of petroleum we wear spews crap into the air and rivers and then after we're finished wearing the clothes they end up in the landfills. I think I read that over 40% of what's in landfills is clothing that is oil based.

Fur and leather goods are a little better for the environment in many ways. The animal doesn't fare so well and personally I'd like to see cows and fur farm animals treated better for the short life they live but having so much clothing made out of oil is shitty too. PETA people never think about this. They should.

One of my friend's has a mink coat she rarely wears outside the house. It's gorgeous. A few years ago, someone told her that poor creatures died for her coat. My friend replied that unless minks lived for 60 years, they'd be long dead anyway.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

25-11-2016, 02:15 PM
(25-11-2016 12:28 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Coupla comments.

First: IIRC, PETA is on a watch list of organizations that are almost, but not quite, terrorists. Basically, they're very borderline. So they're already almost on the REAL list.

Second: Personally, throwing paint on someone does not equal terrorism. Flying a plane into a fur factory, sure. Paint, seriously? Not the same thing.

Fourth: If you're wearing a coat that costs more than my car, don't expect me to feel bad for you when it gets dirty.

And finally, to reference Duke Nukem: PETA really stands for: People Eating Tasty Animals.

Just my two cents.

Yeah, when you think of the name People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, it sounds very innocuous. Who wouldn't be for that?

Yet when you start researching them and what they really stand for they become completely insane sounding. They're completely against working animals. The idea of using an animal's natural talents is abhorrent to them. They're against animal usage like seeing eye dogs...I don't understand how that harms the dog.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
25-11-2016, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 25-11-2016 03:08 PM by dancefortwo.)
(25-11-2016 02:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(25-11-2016 12:28 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Coupla comments.

Just my two cents.

Yeah, when you think of the name People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, it sounds very innocuous. Who wouldn't be for that?

Yet when you start researching them and what they really stand for they become completely insane sounding. They're completely against working animals. The idea of using an animal's natural talents is abhorrent to them. They're against animal usage like seeing eye dogs...I don't understand how that harms the dog.

I have a down comforter and a down interlined coat which animal rights people are against harvesting. The down is gathered from the nest and the goose keeps replacing it so the goose has to work harder to keep the nest soft and warm. Some of it is taken from the natural molting cycle of the bird but it's harder to separate the down from the feathers. Feathers aren't as warm as the soft down and the feathers poke through the fabric too so 90 to 100% down is the way to go. PETA people are nuts.

Edit: I have developed an allergy to down though so I may have to give up my down comforter. Dammit!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
25-11-2016, 03:17 PM
just gave away a down comforter to a vet living under a blue tarp, my wife is developing an allergy too. I figured a guy living outside might appreciate down.
[+] 5 users Like skyking's post
25-11-2016, 03:28 PM
(25-11-2016 03:17 PM)skyking Wrote:  just gave away a down comforter to a vet living under a blue tarp, my wife is developing an allergy too. I figured a guy living outside might appreciate down.

Yeah, I don't think I can use the down comforter anymore either. That sounds like a good idea.

25-11-2016, 03:46 PM
It was one of those odd things, we were camping and there was a blue tarp setup down at the far end of the campground. I see him slowly walking back from the shower and we had this comforter in the trailer that we were going to take to goodwill, and I figured just cut to the end user. I walk down and see he has a pretty nice late model jeep vehicle, and the sound of some nice flute playing is coming from his tarp home. I respect his space and call from the street edge. He comes out, I make the comforter pitch and he accepts graciously. Then we talk a bit and he says it is bad to sleep inside, the electronics send waves AT you and make you sick, etc. The conversation got stuck on spiritual energy and things like that.
Fellow has some baggage, probably PTSD, but he chooses to sleep outside, paint, and play his flute. If he is Disabled American Vet (DAV) , he stays in the state campgrounds for free. He would qualify for any spot there, but the spots with power would be bad for him, in his way of thinking. The spot he was in had no power, but great views of wildlife and Birch Bay. I wished him well and made my exit.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
25-11-2016, 03:54 PM
I consider myself very pro-animal rights and I am entirely ok with ethically harvesting fur for clothing. Would I buy a new fur coat? No. Would I wear a fur coat? Yes.

Let me explain.

Fur clothing can last many years and is often passed down for generations; as such it has a much lighter ecological footprint than practically any other item of clothing. So rather than buy a new fur coat, I would probably try to find a gently used, second-hand one, ideally.

Moreover, trapping fur-bearing animals requires that huge areas of land be left in pristine condition, which benefits entire ecosystems. A few animals may suffer but millions more live as nature intended.

Hunting, fishing (tourism) and trapping are some of the most viable, eco-friendly, sustainable industries for areas like Canada's North, and indigenous peoples depend on them greatly. These traditional activities have been practiced for thousands of years, with very little harm to the environment.

The same can certainly not be said for the other resource extraction industries in these areas (logging, mining, energy industries) .

Sure, humane wild trapping is ideal and should be promoted, especially in comparison to fur farming, in which animals suffer.

But it's funny how the PETA people never aim for the regular guys and gals wearing fur coats as they wait for the bus at -30 C. Here in the Great White North, no one bat's a (frozen) eyelash. You're more likely to get envious stares than reproachful glares.

Somehow, the bus riders don't get hassled: guess they're not glamorous enough

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
25-11-2016, 04:26 PM
(25-11-2016 03:54 PM)Reducetarian Wrote:  I consider myself very pro-animal rights and I am entirely ok with ethically harvesting fur for clothing. Would I buy a new fur coat? No. Would I wear a fur coat? Yes.

Let me explain.

Fur clothing can last many years and is often passed down for generations; as such it has a much lighter ecological footprint than practically any other item of clothing. So rather than buy a new fur coat, I would probably try to find a gently used, second-hand one, ideally.

Moreover, trapping fur-bearing animals requires that huge areas of land be left in pristine condition, which benefits entire ecosystems. A few animals may suffer but millions more live as nature intended.

Hunting, fishing (tourism) and trapping are some of the most viable, eco-friendly, sustainable industries for areas like Canada's North, and indigenous peoples depend on them greatly. These traditional activities have been practiced for thousands of years, with very little harm to the environment.

The same can certainly not be said for the other resource extraction industries in these areas (logging, mining, energy industries) .

Sure, humane wild trapping is ideal and should be promoted, especially in comparison to fur farming, in which animals suffer.

But it's funny how the PETA people never aim for the regular guys and gals wearing fur coats as they wait for the bus at -30 C. Here in the Great White North, no one bat's a (frozen) eyelash. You're more likely to get envious stares than reproachful glares.

Somehow, the bus riders don't get hassled: guess they're not glamorous enough

About 20 years ago I read that women in Dallas, Texas bought more animal fur than anywhere else. It wasn't for warmth, that's for sure. It was all fashion furs. I don't know if the ladies in Dallas still are into furs though.

My only problem is with the treatment of the animals while alive. They should be able to run around and live as good a life as they can and not be stuck in some tiny cage. Cows, chickens and pigs too.

[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
25-11-2016, 05:17 PM
(25-11-2016 02:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Yeah, when you think of the name People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, it sounds very innocuous. Who wouldn't be for that?

Standard propaganda technique for attracting cohorts and disguising their true agenda: American Family Association, American Congress for Truth, American Freedom Party, Center for Security Policy, Family Research Council, Oath Keepers, Pioneer Fund, Traditionalist Worker Party, ...

Works only on idiots.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post