Making yourself understood

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2012, 06:16 AM
RE: Making yourself understood
what is so buffling for me is, that I used to work in the social field which means I had to talk a hell lot, and explain things to children and as they always understood exactly what I told them I guess I have a very clear way of expressing myself, then I worked in a callcenter, again talking and explaining a lot and customers understood me well.
Seems to be only in the private field that I do have problems to express some ideas o.O Maybe it's the routine, too, that counts? I guess

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2012, 01:07 AM
I think it's the subject matter.
When you give instructions or answer question, there is a clear and definite content that you need to convey. It already exists - you don't have to make it up as you go along. That's easy communication.

What i gathered from your first post was the difficulty of communicating original ideas. It's always difficult to get ideas across, especially if you haven't composed them into a perfect, publishable final form. And it's never finished. There is always more: second thoughts, afterthoughts, amendments, errata and addenda.

But the single biggest problem in communication is emotion. People have hot-button issues - they hear a particular word or phrase and go off on that, and never even hear the other 90% of what's being said. People have personal definitions and secret responses and ideological blocks to certain words. People are emotional about everything, and emotion closes our ears and minds as nothing else, short of shell-shock, can. It's not just you - it's them, too.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
10-02-2012, 11:41 AM
I find that I have a similar issue. My mind jumps around from subject to subject as I attempt to type out a reply.
Sometimes I just find it easier to focus on one point at a time rather than trying to package it up all nice and neat and thus I end up sounding like I am inebriated.

I don't see myself as intelligent or possessing a big vocabulary so for me I guess it is a case of not being focused enough to formulate something that has a semblance to coherence.

I know what it is I want to say but when I try to put it into words then I really end us sounding like I just came out of grade school. Smile

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
10-02-2012, 11:52 AM
I ramble a lot and become wordy when speaking. Not so much when typing or writing. I forget what pont I was going to make just before I make it. I'm aware that it often makes my arguments look weak.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
10-02-2012, 12:06 PM
(10-02-2012 11:52 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I ramble a lot and become wordy when speaking. Not so much when typing or writing. I forget what pont I was going to make just before I make it. I'm aware that it often makes my arguments look weak.

There. That's kind of my dilemma. I lose my train of thought (actually it derails horribly) and then what started out as a conversation on the virtues of magnetism somehow becomes an argument on why butterscotch candy will ALWAYS be better than cherry.

P.S: By the way..butterscotch IS better than cherry candy.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
[+] 1 user Likes Dragon-Wolf's post
10-02-2012, 12:09 PM
(10-02-2012 12:06 PM)Dragon-Wolf Wrote:  
(10-02-2012 11:52 AM)germanyt Wrote:  I ramble a lot and become wordy when speaking. Not so much when typing or writing. I forget what pont I was going to make just before I make it. I'm aware that it often makes my arguments look weak.

There. That's kind of my dilemma. I lose my train of thought (actually it derails horribly) and then what started out as a conversation on the virtues of magnetism somehow becomes an argument on why butterscotch candy will ALWAYS be better than cherry.

P.S: By the way..butterscotch IS better than cherry candy.

Difficulty articulating thoughts and loss of focus.

Maybe if it's Werthers.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
10-02-2012, 08:10 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2012 08:30 PM by Zat.)
From disorganized minds come disorganized communication.

Best advice: think it through, from every possible angle: put it into a clearly identified context, define precisely your most important concepts, make sure you have identified your assumptions and premises, consider all related cause-and-effect chains and build a solid logical connection between your assumptions and your conclusions.

The result should be spectacular:

They stare at you and say: What the fuck? Big Grin