• 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2014, 11:18 PM
Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane en route to Beijing with 239 aboard
Hopefully the passengers are ok.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/malaysia-air...39-aboard/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2014, 01:47 AM
RE: Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane en route to Beijing with 239 aboard
Sad news.

According to Vietnam news sources, they confirmed that the plane crashed and the debris scattered over 5 places.

I am not able to find any report in English about that for the moment.

Want something? Then do something.
08-03-2014, 11:02 AM
RE: Malaysia Airlines loses contact with plane en route to Beijing with 239 aboard
Can any psychologist tell me why I don't give a rat's ass about news like this?

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
08-03-2014, 11:09 AM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 11:40 AM by Revenant77x.)
(08-03-2014 11:02 AM)Caveman Wrote:  Can any psychologist tell me why I don't give a rat's ass about news like this?

The event is too impersonal. Without a connection to any of the potential victims it is hard to get an empathetic response. Plus the news is set up for sensationalism so we are very desensitized to events like this.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
09-03-2014, 09:25 AM
(08-03-2014 11:02 AM)Caveman Wrote:  Can any psychologist tell me why I don't give a rat's ass about news like this?

I guess it helps if you live in the region and have taken that flight to Beijing before.

Just sayin'

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
09-03-2014, 09:44 AM
Feel bad for the families. What pissed me off was NBC's Brian Matthews reporting that there were 239 SOULS aboard. As a journalist, this infuriates me.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
09-03-2014, 02:14 PM
(08-03-2014 11:09 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

The event is too impersonal. Without a connection to any of the potential victims it is hard to get an empathetic response. Plus the news is set up for sensationalism so we are very desensitized to events like this.

If you were on the flight you might care a little more - at least for a short while. If it was a catastrophic disintegration & fragmentation [as it seems] then you would not be caring all that much longer.
If you missed the flight at the airport you would care !
...and as other said, if you had family or attachments to the people you would care.

...a child dies of Malaria every 45 seconds - do we really care about this in our daily lives ?
I care about it because its a sign God is a Jack Ass if He existed and doesn't give a shit about most of the world other than a select few. However do I really care ? If I did I guess I should be donating nets and pharmaceuticals. I used to donate pharmaceuticals but this was banned in the UK for some ridiculous reasons. (you cannot give waste medicines due to concerns about quality assurance eg if the medicine is returned from a patient we don't have an audit trail of what has been done with the medicine eg storage conditions etc) As a consequence the hospital throws away thousands of pounds of medicines every week.
Last Month I had to discard £3000 of diamorphine just because the patient died and we cannot re-use it.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
09-03-2014, 03:30 PM
(09-03-2014 02:14 PM)Baruch Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 11:09 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The event is too impersonal. Without a connection to any of the potential victims it is hard to get an empathetic response. Plus the news is set up for sensationalism so we are very desensitized to events like this.

If you were on the flight you might care a little more - at least for a short while. If it was a catastrophic disintegration & fragmentation [as it seems] then you would not be caring all that much longer.
If you missed the flight at the airport you would care !
...and as other said, if you had family or attachments to the people you would care.

...a child dies of Malaria every 45 seconds - do we really care about this in our daily lives ?
I care about it because its a sign God is a Jack Ass if He existed and doesn't give a shit about most of the world other than a select few. However do I really care ? If I did I guess I should be donating nets and pharmaceuticals. I used to donate pharmaceuticals but this was banned in the UK for some ridiculous reasons. (you cannot give waste medicines due to concerns about quality assurance eg if the medicine is returned from a patient we don't have an audit trail of what has been done with the medicine eg storage conditions etc) As a consequence the hospital throws away thousands of pounds of medicines every week.
Last Month I had to discard £3000 of diamorphine just because the patient died and we cannot re-use it.

Good to see Baruch again! Welcome back buddy.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
09-03-2014, 08:11 PM
That's funny. I don't think about God or no-God when something like this happens. I do care. I feel sad for the people on board the plane, sad for their families, and intrigued that, after 2 days, they still don't have any idea what happened to this huge plane and its 230+ passengers.

It doesn't bother me that they're called souls, either. I heard that it started a long time ago on ships when they had to send out distress signals and continued on planes to differentiate between human remains on board as cargo and actual passengers (crew, adults, children).
09-03-2014, 08:36 PM
(09-03-2014 08:11 PM)WhiteRaven Wrote:  That's funny. I don't think about God or no-God when something like this happens. I do care. I feel sad for the people on board the plane, sad for their families, and intrigued that, after 2 days, they still don't have any idea what happened to this huge plane and its 230+ passengers.

It doesn't bother me that they're called souls, either. I heard that it started a long time ago on ships when they had to send out distress signals and continued on planes to differentiate between human remains on board as cargo and actual passengers (crew, adults, children).

"People" works just fine for real journalists. And yes, SOS meant Save Our Souls.

----