Male Circumcision for Atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Male Circumcision for Atheists?
This is a hot-button topic in my Atheist FB page right now. Should Atheist parents circumcise their male children or is this an outdated, ritualistic religious practice.

Personally, I'm pro-choice. That is, I don't think cosmetic surgery/mutilation should be preformed on anyone without their consent, much less infants. If an adult wants to do it, I'm fine with that. The "science" behind the supposed health benefits is weak and in my opinion the "sanitary issues" are more relevant to the Bronze Age times in which the ritual originated, when it was much more difficult to practice daily hygiene, and certainly could not be compared with hygiene today.

For the record, I'm from Jewish parents, and I'm cut. I am not dissatisfied with my cock in anyway (I've gotten complements Wink), so my opinion is not rooted in foundational bias.

I would love to hear Seth do a show on this subject.

"To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all creeds." — Robert Ingersoll
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2012, 03:27 PM
RE: Male Circumcision for Atheists?
(03-10-2012 03:19 PM)Human Being Wrote:  This is a hot-button topic in my Atheist FB page right now. Should Atheist parents circumcise their male children or is this an outdated, ritualistic religious practice.

Personally, I'm pro-choice. That is, I don't think cosmetic surgery/mutilation should be preformed on anyone without their consent, much less infants. If an adult wants to do it, I'm fine with that. The "science" behind the supposed health benefits is weak and in my opinion the "sanitary issues" are more relevant to the Bronze Age times in which the ritual originated, when it was much more difficult to practice daily hygiene, and certainly could not be compared with hygiene today.

For the record, I'm from Jewish parents, and I'm cut. I am not dissatisfied with my cock in anyway (I've gotten complements Wink), so my opinion is not rooted in foundational bias.

Infant circumcision is a violation of human rights. No infant should be circumcised.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like Chas's post
03-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Giddyup.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
03-10-2012, 03:35 PM
(03-10-2012 03:31 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Giddyup.

Besides the moral issues, it's a waste of tasty bits of roast baby. Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-10-2012, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-10-2012 04:03 PM by Atothetheist.)
I haven't gotten circumcised. My parents held it off, and by that time, I was required to give permission. I said no.

Hahahahahahahaha!

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 2 users Like Atothetheist's post
03-10-2012, 03:41 PM
(03-10-2012 03:39 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I haven't gotten circumcised. My parents held it off, and by that time, I was required to give permission. I said no.

Hahahahahahahaha!

Of course you did. So would most people.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-10-2012, 04:11 PM
(03-10-2012 03:19 PM)Human Being Wrote:  This is a hot-button topic in my Atheist FB page right now. Should Atheist parents circumcise their male children or is this an outdated, ritualistic religious practice.

I was when as an infant. My parents said the doctors suggested it and if I didn't urinating would be less convenient for me, so, I'm not complaining. I've heard it's painful to touch yourself if you're uncut. My parents said a woman they know refused to have her son circumcised as an infant and later his penis got an infection that could have been avoided.

"There is a circle here that links us to one another: we each want to be happy; the social feeling of love is one of our greatest sources of happiness; and love entails that we be concerned for the happiness of others. We discover that we can be selfish together."
-Sam Harris
03-10-2012, 04:26 PM
In germany, we turned our backs to the children and leave them complety allone.
My goverment has come to the conclusion, that the Circumcision in the behalfe of the religios belief of parents has a higher value then the childrens right's.

It is a dark day for germany and a shame.
I will not sleep tonight, it tears me apart. I am really pissed off.

They deny the systematic usage of narcotics during this disgusting act of violence.
They deny also the right of the child to prosecute those responsible legally, if the procedure failed and he has to deal with the consequences.
If this law passed through, and become active, i leave germany, i swear.

Gentleman, its time to puke again!

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
[+] 6 users Like Marco Krieger's post
03-10-2012, 04:30 PM
(03-10-2012 04:11 PM)Chase Wrote:  

I was when as an infant. My parents said the doctors suggested it and if I didn't urinating would be less convenient for me, so, I'm not complaining. I've heard it's painful to touch yourself if you're uncut. My parents said a woman they know refused to have her son circumcised as an infant and later his penis got an infection that could have been avoided.

Let's see, anecdotal evidence and a lie, too. An natural penis is not painful when touched - that's just silly.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Exclamation RE: Male Circumcision for Atheists?
Legitimate reasons for infant circumcision:
1. Individual is expected considerable foreign contaminants (living in a desert, and poor).
2. Individual is expected to have very poor hygiene skills (dirty, infection).
3. Cancerous growths.

Illegitimate reasons for infant circumcision:
1. Ritualistic body mutilation.

How much clearer can it be?

As for adult circumcision:
1. Cosmetic reasons.
2. Real/imagined sexual performance enhancer.

In this case, WAIT until the infant is an adult in order for them to make the decision.
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post