Male Circumcision for Atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2012, 07:24 PM
RE: Male Circumcision for Atheists?
I wouldn't ever circumcise a male child myself (I was though). Something about mutilating the genitals of a baby being right, but only if it's a boy, just seems wrong to me.

Of course, I sometimes wonder if the doctor's didn't somewhat screw up on me when they did it... I was circumcised, but I have almost an in-between type of thing... about 80-100% of "me" is covered by skin at times, and I have to pull it back to go to the bathroom and clean up.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2012, 09:11 PM
I agree with the above poster. I am circumcised, but I do not think that anyone should be circumcised unless they choose to be. I was cut as an infant, and have no recollection of it. Still I don't think it should be done. We evolved with a foreskin for a reason...

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2012, 09:49 PM
I'm not doing it with my son. For one, it's nothing more than cosmetic surgery that comes with a price tag I don't care for (runs something like $500 and is not covered under insurance). It's painful and unnecessary. My family lives in the US. There's plenty of soap and water around, so no need to be concerned about sanitation. Nature put it there for a reason, so I feel it's best to leave it there.

If he wants to make the decision himself when he's old enough to understand, then that's his choice. But I won't force it on him when he's too young to understand what's being done to him, especially as it has no obvious benefits to his health or well being.
03-10-2012, 09:52 PM
What is the basis for this practice anyway...religious...Biblical basis?

I have never been clear on that...just seem to remember vaguely some teaching from the Bible. What is it supposed to accomplish?

Seriously...I would like to be educated on this...since the subject has come up...so to speak.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-10-2012, 10:56 PM
(03-10-2012 09:52 PM)Anjele Wrote:  What is the basis for this practice anyway...religious...Biblical basis?

I have never been clear on that...just seem to remember vaguely some teaching from the Bible. What is it supposed to accomplish?

Seriously...I would like to be educated on this...since the subject has come up...so to speak.

Speaking as a semi-semitic (on my mother's side... "The side that counts" ... quote stolen from Hitchens and Fry), but not as a scholar, I am grateful that my mother was not raised in the faith so was unaware of what is usually circumscribed. Maybe she was aware but just being circumspect with her first-born male.

I did, a few years back have this operation --> http://www.circumstitions.com/Frenbrev.html which meant I could have sex without pain for the first time in 25 years.

If you don't want to look at the link (it might make your eyes water), around 5% of males (not females, obviously) suffer from the knob equivalent of being tongue-tied. Although the article is anecdotal, so who knows?

It crossed my mind that the ritual may have started from a health care practice (like the command to not eat shellfish was probably cos there was no refrigeration in Judea in those days and someone important might have died of the genetic ancestor of salmonella).

And / or maybe it was a Jewish evolution thing i.e. a tribe that attempts to remain isolated may evolve slightly different characterists but I can't see the genetic benefit of being knob-tied and having painful sex. I have no evidence (circumstantial evidence?), other than my own scar (at the end but not around the circumference), to support this hypothesis.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
03-10-2012, 10:57 PM
It's a money grab surgery and it has cost lives, also. It's abuse (often the infants will go into shock during and after the surgery as there is usually no pain medication administered). It is also a cosmetic surgery that is not consented. A few posters have mentioned how they don't miss their part, but there are whole clubs and organizations of men who do. One was just petitioning in my community not too long ago.

This archaic act should have been rid with long ago, along with its archaic origin.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
03-10-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm circumcised. I wouldn't want my dick any other way.

If I had not been circumcised, I wouldn't want my dick any other way.

Regardless of the hypothetical possibilities; I don't plan to have kids (and if I did, I'd most certainly want a girl).

This topic is irrelevant to me.

Ignore me accordingly. Big Grin

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
03-10-2012, 11:56 PM
(03-10-2012 04:38 PM)Marco Krieger Wrote:  Where do you come from, Simbabwe?

Oooo ooo Pick me pick me ! Smile

We're pretty uncivilized in Zim but we know that penises are God's gift to us Hobo
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
04-10-2012, 12:33 AM
(03-10-2012 09:52 PM)Anjele Wrote:  What is the basis for this practice anyway...religious...Biblical basis?

Dear Anjele,
you might follow this link to wikipedia.
There are no or non violent images on the site, so it's just education.
Some other links to this topic lead's to contend with videos of crying and struggling kid's, thats not very entertaining.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
04-10-2012, 12:49 AM
(03-10-2012 11:56 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(03-10-2012 04:38 PM)Marco Krieger Wrote:  Where do you come from, Simbabwe?

Oooo ooo Pick me pick me ! Smile

We're pretty uncivilized in Zim but we know that penises are God's gift to us Hobo

I am deeply apologize for my missbehavior. Zimbabwe was used as a metaphor for a country fare, fare away, like just right behind the moon.
Thats not correct.
Maybe i should have write instade Taka-tuka-Land, it's a fictional country from a childrens book called Pipi Longstocking from the swedish autor Astrid Lindgren.

So, you think of your penis as a gift from god, so he has the right to have the wrapping paper back, right.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
[+] 2 users Like Marco Krieger's post