Malignant narcissism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2017, 07:35 AM
Malignant narcissism
In this thread I want to explain malignant narcissism. We can apply it to politics or people in our lives, but the main topic is going to remain the disease.

Quote:Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism. Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malignant_narcissism

Now, there are many groups of people who fell prey to a malignant narcissist online. Some of these contain morsels of great info about how to deal with MNs.

Most of these revolve around narcissistic supply and narcissistic rage.

Malignant narcissists surround themselves with people who will admire them and exhibit blind loyalty. This opens them up to manipulation. Someone who doesn't mind play-acting and providing top quality narcissistic supply can gain great influence over the narcissist.

The malignant narcissist does not see anyone as a human like him/herself. Other people are marionettes, puppets to be used by the narcissist. Narcissists need puppets, the more the merrier. They provide lots of "supply", that is recognition of his/her greatness.

As long as a puppet functions, the narcissist is very kind and sweet. Should the puppet however become unmanageable, it either gets just discarded, or it attracts the malignant part - the narcissist will persecute them tirelessly.

Should a puppet be found to be a traitor, our narcissist has to eliminate them.

For example, should Trump perceive Bannon as manipulating him for his own purposes (as we think is happening), he will get rid of him asap. No loyalty there, loyalty is a one way street. There is a carve-out for special supply (usually offspring, mirroring the narcissist's glory) but no unrelated person can hold such a spot once the narcissist is angered.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
02-02-2017, 07:43 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2017 07:01 PM by Full Circle.)
RE: Malignant narcissism
this is only a test

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
02-02-2017, 07:44 AM
I'm a musician.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
02-02-2017, 07:47 AM
While the article doesn't mention malignant narcissism specifically, this bit in Vanity Fair IS DONALD TRUMP ACTUALLY A NARCISSIST? THERAPISTS WEIGH IN! (sorry for the all-caps, but that's how it's presented in the magazine) makes it pretty clear: yes, he's a narcissist, and yes, he's dangerous.

This from The Atlantic makes the same point: The Mind of Donald Trump
02-02-2017, 07:48 AM
(02-02-2017 07:43 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Is this a thread about muffs, DLJ or OLB? Angel

It's actually fuelled by my experience with a malignant narcissist. It wasn't the least bit funny.

Since the disease is now playing out on the world stage, and since there are a lot more of these people than one thinks, I think it's a good topic for now. It's also something I am still trying to cope with personally, and maybe dissecting it here in a rational way will help me.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
02-02-2017, 07:49 AM
(02-02-2017 07:43 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Is this a thread about muffs, DLJ or OLB? Angel

Neither.

Its another Trump thread.

(02-02-2017 07:48 AM)Dom Wrote:  

It's actually fuelled by my experience with a malignant narcissist. It wasn't the least bit funny.

Since the disease is now playing out on the world stage, and since there are a lot more of these people than one thinks, I think it's a good topic for now. It's also something I am still trying to cope with personally, and maybe dissecting it here in a rational way will help me.

Hmmm... how to not be a narcissist...

I find thinking about the vast eternity that is the universe in both matters of time and size really helps weed out all of those narcissist emotions... you could try that if you're ever feeling high and mighty dom :T
02-02-2017, 07:52 AM
(02-02-2017 07:49 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Neither.

Obviously you didn't actually read the first sentence of the thread, did you?

(02-02-2017 07:35 AM)Dom Wrote:  In this thread I want to explain malignant narcissism. We can apply it to politics or people in our lives, but the main topic is going to remain the disease.
(emphasis added for clarity)
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
02-02-2017, 07:57 AM
(02-02-2017 07:52 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 07:49 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Neither.

Obviously you didn't actually read the first sentence of the thread, did you?

(02-02-2017 07:35 AM)Dom Wrote:  In this thread I want to explain malignant narcissism. We can apply it to politics or people in our lives, but the main topic is going to remain the disease.
(emphasis added for clarity)

'basically' another trump thread.
02-02-2017, 09:25 AM
(02-02-2017 07:49 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  Hmmm... how to not be a narcissist...

I find thinking about the vast eternity that is the universe in both matters of time and size really helps weed out all of those narcissist emotions... you could try that if you're ever feeling high and mighty dom :T

I am not a narcissist. Did you actually read what I wrote?

Actually, malignant narcissism is a disease without cure. At this time the prevalent theory is that this happens to the infant at the time when it learns to distinguish between "I" and "you". For some reason this transition is never made. The malignant narcissist is the only human, and is forced to take part in some sort of script where s/he has to function among all these other forces. S/he then figures out that the script can be manipulated, and that emotions can be faked. So the narcissist studies people and what triggers which emotions.

Faking the emotions sometimes results in extremely expressive facial movements, the one external possible indicator.

[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
02-02-2017, 09:35 AM
(02-02-2017 09:25 AM)Dom Wrote:  Actually, malignant narcissism is a disease without cure. At this time the prevalent theory is that this happens to the infant at the time when it learns to distinguish between "I" and "you". For some reason this transition is never made. The malignant narcissist is the only human, and is forced to take part in some sort of script where s/he has to function among all these other forces. S/he then figures out that the script can be manipulated, and that emotions can be faked. So the narcissist studies people and what triggers which emotions.

Faking the emotions sometimes results in extremely expressive facial movements, the one external possible indicator.

This sounds very much like clinical psychopathy, as studied by Dr Robert Hare, who actually created a psychopathy checklist, comprised of 20 characteristics:
  • glib and superficial charm
  • grandiose (exaggeratedly high) estimation of self
  • need for stimulation
  • pathological lying
  • cunning and manipulativeness
  • lack of remorse or guilt
  • shallow affect (superficial emotional responsiveness)
  • callousness and lack of empathy
  • parasitic lifestyle
  • poor behavioral controls
  • sexual promiscuity
  • early behavior problems
  • lack of realistic long-term goals
  • impulsivity
  • irresponsibility
  • failure to accept responsibility for own actions
  • many short-term marital relationships
  • juvenile delinquency
  • revocation of conditional release
  • criminal versatility

Looks like the connections between being a psychopath and a malignant narcissist are pretty strong. Perhaps they're just different degrees of the same mental illness..?
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post