Malignant narcissism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2017, 08:13 AM
RE: Malignant narcissism
(05-02-2017 08:09 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 11:40 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Was I being a dick? In that case your read is probably accurate. By the way, you're a moron.

Calling someone a moron when you don't even understand basic grammar is... ironical.

(04-02-2017 07:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  Wow, that sure is the way to win friends and influence people.

Now take your arrogant holier-than-thou shtick and run along. You're tedious. Drinking Beverage

A white supremacist rarely has an interest in making friends with a black man, in this scenario I feel very much like the black man. So as all of you seek to berate and demean me you could at least stop crying when I don't take your insults seriously.

(04-02-2017 07:31 PM)ImFred Wrote:  Shit. I don't care how smart and sober you are all that's gonna get you is your ass kicked.

[Image: 57785129.jpg]

If you don't have anything to say about malignant narcissism, just quit polluting my thread.

Dodgy

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-02-2017, 10:19 AM
So, a child is born with a tendency toward this malignancy but only if it is triggered early on? Or is it going to be there, no matter what? Is such a tendency genetic or is it some random patterning that becomes established after reinforcement?

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
05-02-2017, 11:40 AM
(05-02-2017 10:19 AM)kim Wrote:  So, a child is born with a tendency toward this malignancy but only if it is triggered early on? Or is it going to be there, no matter what? Is such a tendency genetic or is it some random patterning that becomes established after reinforcement?

There are various opinions. All babies start out narcissistic, they only perceive their own needs for some time. So it's hard to say if they are born with it. Some say it is some sort of trauma around the time when baby starts focusing more on mom. Some say it's a brain defect they are born with. The only consistent thing I saw was that the step from the "I" phase to learning the concepts of "I" and "you" is the beginning of a noticeable difference.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-02-2017, 12:05 PM
Hmm. The differenciation between "I", something outside "I" and who controls what, probably seems blurred for a while during infancy.
It kind of makes sense that some trauma can be associated with "I must be in control" - it could be seen as a survival mechanism.

I saw a film called, "We Need To Talk About Kevin" - holy fuck!
I couldn't put my finger on exactly what was up with this kid. I think this kind of malignancy explains a lot. It's a good film - not for the faint of heart.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
05-02-2017, 02:22 PM
Saturday night live did a skit last night about trump being a baby and being dominated by the grim reaper - Bannon.

First time Trump didn't tweet about their horrible skits.

I'm thinking this may be his Achilles heel. Lots more of the same just may trigger narcissistic rage...

05-02-2017, 06:32 PM
(05-02-2017 08:09 AM)Celestial_Wonder Wrote:  
(04-02-2017 07:26 PM)Chas Wrote:  Wow, that sure is the way to win friends and influence people.

Now take your arrogant holier-than-thou shtick and run along. You're tedious. Drinking Beverage

A white supremacist rarely has an interest in making friends with a black man, in this scenario I feel very much like the black man. So as all of you seek to berate and demean me you could at least stop crying when I don't take your insults seriously.

No, you resemble the white supremacist. Drinking Beverage

You have offered nothing of value in this thread, just attitude. Run along.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-02-2017, 09:52 AM
Thinking more about this topic, I've done a little research. It seems that malignant narcissism isn't an exact science. Many psychologists & neurologists have differing views on how to categorize it.

So far, most appear to agree that it is a condition and that it is most often associated with ( but not always) psychopathy, antisocial features, paranoid traits, and egosyntonic aggression. Other symptoms may include an absence of conscience, a psychological need for power, and a sense of importance (grandiosity). It is a spectrum disorder - also agreed upon.

It's like ... you can't have just it without having something else to either back it up or reinforce it. You might think you could see this guy coming but, because of all the other associated features, he's probably going to be sneaky and charming - an all around manipulator.

But even then, it seems to be quite a fine line to cross in gaining an actual diagnosis. So my question is: what to do with (or for) people like this? Sure, they can fuck up so bad that they actually kill people. And yes, they know what they are doing.

So, the malignant narcissist is responsible but not entirely. Isn't this what should be addressed? The question of responsibility and intent is what determines crime & punishment.

19-02-2017, 10:42 AM
(19-02-2017 09:52 AM)kim Wrote:  The question of responsibility and intent is what determines crime & punishment.

Yes. No answer here.

It is exactly the question I struggled with for years. It's why I did all that research. It's why I joined groups of survivors of relationships of all descriptions with thusly disordered people.

Thank dog the one I had dealt with died. Eventually I forgave him. I decided that there was nothing he could have done differently because he was wired that way. But that is a personal, specific, anecdotal judgement. There is no official solution I know of.

19-02-2017, 11:02 AM
I haven't noticed a shitload of religious zealots proclaiming Trump to be the Antichrist.
Is this because he is doing exactly as prophesied by charming everyone before laying waste to all mankind? Laugh out load

But seriously folks...here's a little narcissism from yesterday's Trump rally in Florida.

19-02-2017, 12:01 PM
(02-02-2017 09:35 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  This sounds very much like clinical psychopathy, as studied by Dr Robert Hare, who actually created a psychopathy checklist, comprised of 20 characteristics:
  • glib and superficial charm
  • grandiose (exaggeratedly high) estimation of self
  • need for stimulation
  • pathological lying
  • cunning and manipulativeness
  • lack of remorse or guilt
  • shallow affect (superficial emotional responsiveness)
  • callousness and lack of empathy
  • parasitic lifestyle
  • poor behavioral controls
  • sexual promiscuity
  • early behavior problems
  • lack of realistic long-term goals
  • impulsivity
  • irresponsibility
  • failure to accept responsibility for own actions
  • many short-term marital relationships
  • juvenile delinquency
  • revocation of conditional release
  • criminal versatility

Looks like the connections between being a psychopath and a malignant narcissist are pretty strong. Perhaps they're just different degrees of the same mental illness..?

If I didn't know any better, I would think they are describing the kind of person 63 million Americans would find irresistible as a dear leader.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post