Man, Christianity Sucks!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2015, 08:26 PM
RE: Man, Christianity Sucks!
(03-05-2015 07:00 PM)cyberman Wrote:  
(03-05-2015 06:54 PM)pablo Wrote:  I dunno how you manage to not get banned almost instantly.
Consider

They allow Atheists, but you can't attack religion or 'promote' things like homosexuality and abortion. It's not a place for the militant among us.

Sounds like the way Russia is going atm.

I'm assuming my avatar wouldn't win me many friends there... Big Grin

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2015, 09:02 AM
I went on a Christian web site once. I think I lasted about two days. Every post was vetted by a mod before it would appear, and posts they didn't like just disappeared.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
07-05-2015, 09:10 AM
Reminds me what my friend posted the other day when she was asked if this was her last child after she gives birth (she's having her second child) and she commented back saying, "I don't know! We'll see what God has planned for us!"

One, I REALLY hope she doesn't mean she's going to keep having children until her body basically becomes disabled in that area. Two, is it wrong of me to want to intervene in some way just to tell her how idiotic she's being with all these newfound beliefs of hers? Frusty

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
07-05-2015, 09:46 AM
(07-05-2015 09:10 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  Reminds me what my friend posted the other day when she was asked if this was her last child after she gives birth (she's having her second child) and she commented back saying, "I don't know! We'll see what God has planned for us!"

One, I REALLY hope she doesn't mean she's going to keep having children until her body basically becomes disabled in that area. Two, is it wrong of me to want to intervene in some way just to tell her how idiotic she's being with all these newfound beliefs of hers? Frusty
I tend to view statements like your friend made, as phrases of the religious zeitgeist. Some people are serious about their intention to be a baby factory of sorts, while others say it simply because they hear others say it, so it becomes part of their social norm.

Most people would rather fit in then stand out, so lip service is their way of not facing the tough questions in life. Or, it could be, the question genuinely hasn't gained enough importance in their life to warrant exploration.

Either way, I wouldn't worry about it. Everyone's "AHA" moment occurs in different parts of life. Let's just hope they all get to those moments Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post
08-05-2015, 07:59 AM
(07-05-2015 09:10 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  Reminds me what my friend posted the other day when she was asked if this was her last child after she gives birth (she's having her second child) and she commented back saying, "I don't know! We'll see what God has planned for us!"

The phrase could just mean (from the believer's point of view) "Man proposes, God disposes." It doesn't necessarily mean she's going to keep having babies. She might be using birth control (LOTS of Christians do) but saying that it's all in God's hands in the end.

Of course, it could also mean "What's the point of birth control since whatever God wants will happen anyway?" The really fucked up thing about that general attitude is it means you can drive drunk, like a maniac, smoke like a chimney, and eat three fast-food 3,000-calorie meals a day, and you'll still live as long and as healthy as God planned for you. Fatalism is an excuse to be irresponsible. But your friend's comment might not be fatalism. It might just be a throw-away line or a comment that we can never be certain of the future.

el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 1 user Likes daniel1948's post
08-05-2015, 09:33 AM
(08-05-2015 07:59 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  "Man proposes, God disposes."

I've always found that phrase rather odd. If they believe in an omniscient deity with a fully formed plan for everything and everyone then what exactly could man propose? Doesn't that imply that man could be making suggestions to god on how to run the universe and maybe sometimes god uses those ideas?

Why is it that religious claims so often seem to lead to a dead end that makes no sense? Better question: why can't more believers see that?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
08-05-2015, 06:09 PM
(08-05-2015 09:33 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(08-05-2015 07:59 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  "Man proposes, God disposes."

I've always found that phrase rather odd. If they believe in an omniscient deity with a fully formed plan for everything and everyone then what exactly could man propose? Doesn't that imply that man could be making suggestions to god on how to run the universe and maybe sometimes god uses those ideas?

Why is it that religious claims so often seem to lead to a dead end that makes no sense? Better question: why can't more believers see that?

Because religion requires that you check your brain at the door.

And of course the reason believers don't see that is because once they do see it they cease to be believers. Believers, by definition, are the ones who have not yet figured it out.

el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
08-05-2015, 06:14 PM
(03-05-2015 06:27 PM)cyberman Wrote:  I've just spent some time on a Christian forum, which I seem to do a lot. I just had to come here to get away from the insanity. Why do I keep doing this to myself????

Christian forums are quite boring (I mean really, really boring), but I do like their kindness. I have to say they seem to be much happier people on the average than those who post on atheist forums, but you can't have a real discussion with them either; it's always on their terms. Like when I tried to talk with my ph.D roommate who always acted like he knew all the answers simply because he had a couple extra degrees than myself.
09-05-2015, 04:12 PM
(08-05-2015 07:59 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  She might be using birth control (LOTS of Christians do) but saying that it's all in God's hands in the end.

I know she was using birth control there for awhile and she managed to still get pregnant with her first child. But since she's practically been all "anti-medicine," I'm not so sure and never bothered to ask because I don't want to walk into some discussion about how her newfound beliefs prompted her to stop taking it or whatever.

And wouldn't being on birth control pretty much go against what Christians believe in since they tend to preach abstinence? And even if they're married, I thought they didn't really believe in contraceptives. At least that's what I gathered when that whole Hobby Lobby debacle went down...

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
09-05-2015, 06:53 PM
Yes, it does. And so do all other religions.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!