Man, Christianity Sucks!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-05-2015, 07:12 AM
RE: Man, Christianity Sucks!
(09-05-2015 04:12 PM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  ... wouldn't being on birth control pretty much go against what Christians believe in since they tend to preach abstinence? And even if they're married, I thought they didn't really believe in contraceptives....

BIG mistake there! There are more Christian denominations than you can shake a stick at, and in many of them, different congregations have different interpretations, not only of the Bible, but of their own denomination's interpretations.

There are indeed fundamentalists who oppose all birth control. There are also mainstream denominations that accept modern medicine, evolution, and women's reproductive rights, including the right to have sex without getting pregnant.

The ONLY thing that pretty much all Christians believe is some form of the Jesus-is-Savior thing and the Resurrection.

And there are gobs and gobs of Christians who do not practice what their pastor preaches. (Shocking, yes, I know.) Not all Christians give away all their wealth to the poor. Not all Christians turn the other cheek. And some Christians use birth control.

So the only way to find out if the woman in question is or was using birth control would be to ask her, and even then she might not tell the truth, because not all Christians tell the truth all the time. (Also shocking, yes.)

The fundamentalist whack jobs get a lot of publicity for the stupid, cruel, mean-hearted things they do, and for all the noise they make. But they are actually a minority of people who consider themselves Christians. The majority of Christians are different from atheists in nothing at all except their belief that there's a magic man in the sky. Of course, none of them come here with infantile arguments trying to convert us. Those are the whack jobs.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2015, 07:32 AM
(08-05-2015 06:14 PM)Dunkleweizen Wrote:  
(03-05-2015 06:27 PM)cyberman Wrote:  I've just spent some time on a Christian forum, which I seem to do a lot. I just had to come here to get away from the insanity. Why do I keep doing this to myself????

Christian forums are quite boring (I mean really, really boring), but I do like their kindness. I have to say they seem to be much happier people on the average than those who post on atheist forums, but you can't have a real discussion with them either; it's always on their terms. Like when I tried to talk with my ph.D roommate who always acted like he knew all the answers simply because he had a couple extra degrees than myself.

What pops into my mind is 'ignorance is bliss'.

I suppose I would be happier about some things if I thought I had no control, or responsibility, because everything is in a god's hands.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
11-05-2015, 12:56 PM
(10-05-2015 07:12 AM)daniel1948 Wrote:  
(09-05-2015 04:12 PM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  ... wouldn't being on birth control pretty much go against what Christians believe in since they tend to preach abstinence? And even if they're married, I thought they didn't really believe in contraceptives....

BIG mistake there! There are more Christian denominations than you can shake a stick at, and in many of them, different congregations have different interpretations, not only of the Bible, but of their own denomination's interpretations.

There are indeed fundamentalists who oppose all birth control. There are also mainstream denominations that accept modern medicine, evolution, and women's reproductive rights, including the right to have sex without getting pregnant.

The ONLY thing that pretty much all Christians believe is some form of the Jesus-is-Savior thing and the Resurrection.

And there are gobs and gobs of Christians who do not practice what their pastor preaches. (Shocking, yes, I know.) Not all Christians give away all their wealth to the poor. Not all Christians turn the other cheek. And some Christians use birth control.

So the only way to find out if the woman in question is or was using birth control would be to ask her, and even then she might not tell the truth, because not all Christians tell the truth all the time. (Also shocking, yes.)

The fundamentalist whack jobs get a lot of publicity for the stupid, cruel, mean-hearted things they do, and for all the noise they make. But they are actually a minority of people who consider themselves Christians. The majority of Christians are different from atheists in nothing at all except their belief that there's a magic man in the sky. Of course, none of them come here with infantile arguments trying to convert us. Those are the whack jobs.

I mainly had the fundamentalists in mind when I was talking about Christians being against birth control and what not. I do recognize that there are Christians out there with more modern and/or liberal views.

My friend, however, I would probably consider her to be fundamentalist, or at least damn near one. She's let it slip a couple times on Facebook what her exact beliefs are and she's gotten tons of backlash for it. She doesn't put extreme things on there as much but I'd hate to get inside her mind with things because I want to avoid any heated discussion about it.

But perhaps next time I see her in person and I don't mind the debate, I'll ask her more about it. Consider

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
11-05-2015, 01:09 PM
(07-05-2015 09:10 AM)kristenkjordan Wrote:  Reminds me what my friend posted the other day when she was asked if this was her last child after she gives birth (she's having her second child) and she commented back saying, "I don't know! We'll see what God has planned for us!"

One, I REALLY hope she doesn't mean she's going to keep having children until her body basically becomes disabled in that area. Two, is it wrong of me to want to intervene in some way just to tell her how idiotic she's being with all these newfound beliefs of hers? Frusty

Maybe god's plan is to come down and personally fuck the hell out of her. Kiss

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
11-05-2015, 01:13 PM
(11-05-2015 01:09 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Maybe god's plan is to come down and personally fuck the hell out of her. Kiss

It has been 2000 years since he did Mary. He's probably a little on edge these days.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
11-05-2015, 01:26 PM
(11-05-2015 01:13 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(11-05-2015 01:09 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  Maybe god's plan is to come down and personally fuck the hell out of her. Kiss

It has been 2000 years since he did Mary. He's probably a little on edge these days.

1000 earthly years is one heavenly day according to (I think) "Letters from Earth" by Mark Twain so god's problem probably didn't get out of hand.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
11-05-2015, 01:28 PM
(11-05-2015 01:26 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  ...so god's problem probably didn't get out of hand.

god masturbates?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
11-05-2015, 01:32 PM
(11-05-2015 01:28 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(11-05-2015 01:26 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  ...so god's problem probably didn't get out of hand.

god masturbates?

Well, Jesus loves bukkake, so I don't think that something as natural as masturbation would be on god "not to do" list Wink
[Image: 9e650ceb8a3caf3ece3666009ecd6639.jpg]

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
14-05-2015, 07:54 PM
(11-05-2015 01:13 PM)unfogged Wrote:  

So, if it wasn't Joseph who fucked Mary, then why does the Bible give Jesus's lineage through Joseph??? I've never found a Bible-thumper who could answer that one.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
14-05-2015, 08:08 PM
(14-05-2015 07:54 PM)daniel1948 Wrote:  
(11-05-2015 01:13 PM)unfogged Wrote:  It has been 2000 years since he did Mary. He's probably a little on edge these days.

So, if it wasn't Joseph who fucked Mary, then why does the Bible give Jesus's lineage through Joseph??? I've never found a Bible-thumper who could answer that one.

If I'm not mistaken, they had a donkey.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus