Man is confused and can't explain why the world didn't end

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2013, 10:05 PM
RE: Man is confused and can't explain why the world didn't end
Didn't Harold camping's son come to TTA not long ago?

This man seems bewildered and spoon fed. I wonder where he is today.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2013, 10:44 PM
(22-10-2013 07:02 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  This is an older video from 2011 that I recently watched.
He sincerely believed that the world was coming to an end and yet he was praying for mercy, praying for a quick painless death. It almost sounded like he was suicidal, as if he had lost all hope in life and didn't want to live anymore. Alternatively he wasn't too concerned with the idea that the rest of the world would be dying too.

He wasn't praying for continued life on earth or praying for god to NOT destroy the earth. He was ok with all the death as long as it was merciful and he got a new heavenly body.

Somehow he thought there could be mercy from a being who was destroying all life on earth and the only way this being would have this mercy is if he prayed for it.

When it all didn't happen, he was in shock, confused.
All his expectations dashed

Exactly what I would expect from someone who believes in an afterlife that will be superior to the present. Fortunately, he was brainwashed by less extreme fanatics and not the kind who would have him to kill himself or others. This guy is ripe for that sort of thing.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
22-10-2013, 11:11 PM
There are people who sold their homes and gave away family possessions, emptied their bank accounts, etc.
They lost everything and to a degree, they created their own destruction that they wanted visited upon everyone.

I am trying to find a way in which I can pity them, but so far I am failing in that attempt.
At some point, you have to say, "These people were adults and have the ability to discern fact from fantasy.
They simply chose the fantasy over the facts."

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
23-10-2013, 09:16 AM
The man needs to get back on his rocker... which he is clearly off of...

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
23-10-2013, 11:40 AM (This post was last modified: 23-10-2013 11:46 AM by Raptor Jesus.)
Oh I can't wait to watch this! Unfortunately I can't view it right now, but I have a friend who is exactly like this. She believes the end is coming and will happen at any moment. She's always trying to figure out the timing, which I don't get because the bible itself says you “cannot know the time”. She refutes this by saying that, while it’s true that no one can know the time, they can know the season. She assumes it's the season (the end-times), because…you know, there are "wars, rumors of wars, earthquakes in some places, and famine in some places". That's the sign of the "season". But I still don't know why she spends all this time trying to figure out the exact day, or at least the week, as she acknowledges she can't know the exact day, but seems to think she can figure it out to know within a few days or so at least. She's even bet me, serious bet me, that it would happen on a particular weekend...(it did not happen, FYI).

Again, I have not been able to watch the video yet, but based on others reactions to it, he sounds just like my friend. I check out her rapture forum she goes to, from time to time, and they all seem so sad and depressed. They talk about their personal lives and all of them seem so shitty. A lot of bad things have happened to many of them in their lives, and in my friend’s life I know this to be the case for sure. She’s had a LOT of bad things happen to her in her life.

I think these sad, depressed, potentially suicidal people are so enamored with the rapture because they actually DO want to die. They don’t want to be here anymore. They say it repeatedly, they say they just want it to be all over, and want to be out of this world so bad. They even cry over it. And I think they want the rapture to be true so bad because it’s a form of suicidal ideation, without having to actually think of killing themselves, themselves. And because they get this place in the end that is perfect and makes up for their shitty, sad lives.

The saddest part of it, at least in the case of my friend, is that her life is far better than it was in the past. Far better than all those horrible things that had happened to her. But those things caused her to go so deep down the path of this rapture/end-times belief that she can’t even see the good in her life that is now there. They can’t, because part of the thing is they have to believe the world is so wicked, so bad, so evil, and depraved that, “like in the days of Noah” (a refrain they say a lot), “God” has to come back and clean it all up. They have to believe everything is terrible and horrible because if it’s not, then “God” will not come back and rapture anyone, because the world has to be terrible and evil to justify why he does destroy it (as in “the days of Noah”). Because of this, and because of her dependence on this belief, she can only see the bad in the world, and life, which is so sad to me. The more I talk to her, the more convinced I am that religion is an evil thing, because it’s not uplifting her life, or making her feel better. It only teaches her how horrible life and everything associated with it is. She can’t see the beauty in it because of religion, and that’s sad.

24-10-2013, 12:19 PM
This reminded me of the 'human sacrifice' scene in Fight Club.

Narrator: I feel ill.

Tyler Durden: Imagine how he feels.

Narrator: Come on this isn't funny! That wasn't funny, what the fuck was the point of that?

Tyler Durden: Tomorrow will be the most beautiful day of Raymond K. Hessel's life. His breakfast will taste better than any meal you and I have ever tasted.

Narrator (as voice over): You had to give it to him. He had a plan, and it started to make sense in a Tyler sort of way. No fear, no distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter, truly slide.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
24-10-2013, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 24-10-2013 01:46 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
(24-10-2013 12:19 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  This reminded me of the 'human sacrifice' scene in Fight Club.
Tyler Durden: Tomorrow will be the most beautiful day of Raymond K. Hessel's life. His breakfast will taste better than any meal you and I have ever tasted.

Except in the case of these rature/end-tme nuts, they don't feel relief when it doesn't happen and they are still here. To them, tomorrow looks bleeker than the day before, and breakfast taste worse then ever. Because for them, they believe that the world is ugly and sick.

Rather than feeling the joy that they are spared another day of life with more to come, they feel they are stuck and forced to remain the rotting misery of the world. These people can't see beauty in anything but death. It is a cult of dying, and it is death that they actually do want.

They believe that the day after they die will be the most beautiful "day" they've ever seen. Which makes continuing to live all the worse because they are continually denied that day.

24-10-2013, 02:40 PM
(22-10-2013 07:35 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  2. I wonder what conclusions this man, and others like him, draw when they are proved wrong?

Cognitive dissonance sets in hard, and they start believing even more. They will come up with very creative responses to why the lack of evidence is actually evidence in their favor. It's really amazing and crazy.

There was a book and study done around this called When Prophecy Fails. A group of people infiltrated one of these doomsday cults. When the prophecy wasn't fulfilled by the end of the night (before midnight of the next day), people got anxious. Someone pointed out that one of the clocks in the house still said it was before midnight, so everyone relaxed. Finally, well after midnight, the leader begins to cry. Less than an hour later, she "has a new message" saying that their group had done such a great job teaching the message that the world was going to be spared.

So, there you have it: when it doesn't come true, that means it's really true.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
24-10-2013, 02:51 PM
(22-10-2013 10:05 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Didn't Harold camping's son come to TTA not long ago?

This man seems bewildered and spoon fed. I wonder where he is today.

Did he?? I remember Seth interviewed Fred Phelps son on the podcast.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

24-10-2013, 03:02 PM
I don't recall Harold Camping's son on the podcast. Here's the show Momsurroundedbyboys referenced.

Nathan Phelps: Escaping Westboro Baptist Church - Tue, 14 Aug 2012
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/podcast/index

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume