Man of Steel Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2013, 12:55 PM (This post was last modified: 21-06-2013 01:37 PM by ghostexorcist.)
Man of Steel Discussion
I know several members have seen Man of Steel, so I would like to discuss what you like and dislike about it, or any questions you may have. I suggest hiding comments in spoiler tags until the movie has been out for a while.

* The portrayal of Krypton as a vibrant planet full of life. The 1980s films depicted it as cold and devoid of life.

* The neat metallic biotechnology. It replaced the crystals of the old franchise.

* The "S" is one of many different kinds of Kryptonian family crests.

* The idea that Kyrpton started colonizing the stars 100,000 years ago. This kind of reminds me of the Time Lords from Doctor Who.

* The idea that they visited earth thousands of years ago.

* Clark/Kal-El trying to live a normal human life; having one menial job after another (trying to find his place in the world) instead of automatically starting work at the Daily Planet.

* The idea that Zod was doing bad things for the greater good of Krypton.

* The action and special effects.

* The world engine.

Dislikes:

* The way Jonathon Kent was a masochist. He disapproved when Clark saved the bus load of kids; he taught his son to let other kids push him around; and he pointlessly let himself die when he could have easily been saved. Yes, the old adage "with great power comes great responsibility" has bearing here, but it doesn't mean Clark couldn’t have stood up for himself. The golden age Superman is a direct rip-off from the 1930s novel Gladiator. In the story, the main character is born with super strength and bulletproof skin thanks to his scientist father. He is a bit of an outcast as a child, but he stands up for himself and bullies leave him alone. He goes on to be a star athlete in college. Likewise, if Clark stood up to bullies, no one would bother him. He could still have friends, participate in sports, and basically live a normal teenage life. Whoever made this fan trailer had the right idea.

* The fact that Zod and his crew arrived on earth already with superpowers. It took Clark his entire life to amass his powers and gain control of them. Then the other Kryptonians come and have instantaneous mastery over their new abilities. This is something that always annoys me about movies of this nature. Sure, they would have been stronger than humans due to the greater gravity of Krypton, but the sunlight amplifies these abilities. There is no way they would have been on the same level as Superman since he has lived here longer. They were obviously much better fighters than him, but he would have had the advantage of being stronger, faster, and more invulnerable.

* The unnecessarily quick pace of the editing during the fight scenes. You couldn't really tell who was who.

* The way the story depicted the bad guys as amoral murderers who believed in some twisted Social Darwinist version of evolution, while portraying Superman as the good Christian hero and messianic savior of mankind. People have been referring to this version of the character as "Super Jesus."

* The new suit. Zack Snyder took away the underwear because this was a carryover from the circus strongmen of the late 19th- and early 20th-century. I understand his reasoning, but it just looked like they took Spider-man's suit and slapped a cape and an "S" on it. I'm sure they could have done something different with the design.

Questions:

* If all people are genetically bred for a specific purpose on Krypton, how is it that Jor-El, a scientist, was able to easily beat the shit out of Zod, a soldier trained his entire life in military skills? I thought it was pretty neat, especially how bad ass Jor-El looked in the armor. It just didn’t make sense in the end.

* Jonathon Kent says that he had the metal key featuring the "S" analyzed by a metallurgist at Kansas State University. The results showed that the metal was not of this world. Don't you think an academic would follow up on something like this? This would be the find of the century since its alien composition and manufactured nature would point to extraterrestrial life.

* Clark is portrayed as a Christian, even going to a church to ask for advice. How could someone be a Christian knowing that they are an alien from another planet?

* Why are Kryptonian bodies invulnerable to things like rockets and falling buildings, but their necks snap like balsa wood?

* How exactly did the Kryptonian atmosphere sap Superman of his abilities if it was the sunlight stored in his cells that gave him those powers in the first place?

* If the Kryptonian ship originally came to earth 18,000 years ago, why would there be a red and blue suit on it made specifically for Superman? None of the suits shown up to that point had that particular color scheme, therefore it was not common Kryptonian fashion. It would have been more believable if they had just used the ship's technology to change an existing suit.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
21-06-2013, 01:09 PM
RE: Man of Steel Discussion
(21-06-2013 12:55 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
* Jonathon Kent says that he had the metal key featuring the "S" analyzed by a metallurgist at Kansas State University. The results showed that the metal was not of this world. Don't you think an academic would follow up on something like this? This would be the find of the century since its alien composition and manufactured nature would point to extraterrestrial life.

Bullshit. He wouldn't have taken it to K-State. People know nothing about Kansas. Drinking Beverage We have more stars here than you can imagine.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
21-06-2013, 01:16 PM
(21-06-2013 01:09 PM)kim Wrote:  
(21-06-2013 12:55 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  

Bullshit. He wouldn't have taken it to K-State. People know nothing about Kansas. Drinking Beverage We have more stars here than you can imagine.

Now that you mention it, this movie could have been a huge tourism vehicle for Kansas. They could have shot in real locations and mentioned places like that Cosmo Museum.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-06-2013, 01:21 PM
(21-06-2013 01:16 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(21-06-2013 01:09 PM)kim Wrote:  Bullshit. He wouldn't have taken it to K-State. People know nothing about Kansas. Drinking Beverage We have more stars here than you can imagine.

Now that you mention it, this movie could have been a huge tourism vehicle for Kansas. They could have shot in real locations and mentioned places like that Cosmo Museum.

If I'm not mistaken, as of today... there is no such place as Hutchinson Kansas... it is now officially (for one day or week or something) the town of Smallville ... hometown of Clark Kent. Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
21-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Also... we have thousands of acres of meteorites just waiting to be stumbled upon by some cow. On average, I see a fireball every other month. Drinking Beverage There may be other supermen ...

21-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Ghostee, I agree with almost all of your likes, but the things you listed as dislikes, I liked, or got over very quickly. Most movie goers know the tired old origin story. It was a nice twist to have

Jonathan Kent be so cautious about hiding Clark's powers. He wasn't a masochist at all. He was a realist. Past Superportrayals have Kal El being celebrated at the get go as a Hero. But would he really be? Wasn't it more accurate to show the response of people finding out about him through Zod's transmission and be totally willing to hand him over? The world would go crazy to find out an alien has been living amongst us. Well, an alien besides the Reptilians, that is. I think a pragmatic Jawhawk like our Kimmies would want to keep his son's powers as secretive as possible to keep the Feds away.

I had no problem with the superpowered Zodites. I figured their suits were super-powered, hence their problems with breathing without their head gear. Zod was bio-engineered to be a badass fighter so he should be super-powered.

I thought the new suit was great. It looks so badass compared to the old underwear and cape. I did think it would still look hokey with a cape, but they made it look pretty bitchin.

The only place where as a comic book purveyor I should complain was the killing of Zod. The Supes of old would NEVER do anything like that. [Image: 9f3.png] But it felt so right. I would have been disappointed if he had played the Boy Scout card and let him live.

My Dislikes:
Perry White not being White. (Love Larry Fishburne and he did a great job, I just get tired of the inclusiveness JUST to be inclusive. You don't need to change a story just to make it look like you're culturally sensitive, do you?

The scene of young Clark playing with a cape in the backyard. If there was never a Superman in our communal Ethos, then how could a kid emulate being Superman? Dumb scene...yet I still got a little verklempt watching it. Weeping

Product Placement. Too much iHop, 7-11 and Sears. Not enough LexCorp.

Jesus H. Christ, but there was too much talk about being 33, holding his arms out like a crucified savior and talking to a priest in his moment of doubt in front of a stained glass window of Jesus praying in the Garden of Gethsemane the night before his trial. There was a nice Evolution reference, "Evolution always wins," but it was spoken by the evil bitch, making the reference sound dubious and, well, evil.

Things that I was iffy about, but ended up liking:
Lois discovering his identity and falling in love with him. A departure from the story, but I realized I was glad he didn't have to play the game of acting like clutzy Clark and her not seeing through his "disguise" of wearing glasses.

Overall, I loved the movie. Certainly the best Superman movie since Superman II. Can we please forget 3, 4 and that Bryan Singer abortion?

More later...I'm still jacked up from seeing it last night!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
21-06-2013, 01:59 PM
(21-06-2013 12:55 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Questions:

yada yada

Answer:

It's a fucking movie! Trololololololo... Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
21-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Oh - that's right - Zod and his bunch were genetically engineered to be ... well, evil, as it turns out. Another dig at genetic research. Fuckers.

I'm now kind of bummed about contributing money to see this fucking movie. Maybe I'll wait for it on dvd. Dodgy

21-06-2013, 02:22 PM
(21-06-2013 02:12 PM)kim Wrote:  Oh - that's right - Zod and his bunch were genetically engineered to be ... well, evil, as it turns out. Another dig at genetic research. Fuckers.

I'm now kind of bummed about contributing money to see this fucking movie. Maybe I'll wait for it on dvd. Dodgy

Superman 2 they were just plain evil. (And goofy looking).

In Man of Steel I didn't find them to be evil so much as utilitarian. Zod was created to be the military leader of the Kryptonians and protecting and furthering the Kryptonian way of life was his sole purpose for living. The Zod faction is as evil as fighting for Truth, Justice and the American Way. One man's freedom fighter is another woman's terrorist, or something like that.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
21-06-2013, 02:30 PM
(21-06-2013 02:22 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  In Man of Steel I didn't find them to be evil so much as utilitarian. Zod was created to be the military leader of the Kryptonians and protecting and furthering the Kryptonian way of life was his sole purpose for living. The Zod faction is as evil as fighting for Truth, Justice and the American Way. One man's freedom fighter is another woman's terrorist, or something like that.

What is truth? Truth for whom?

I'm not down with that Killing at all.

Did Zod happen to look ... swarthy ... vaguely ... Persian, perhaps... Pakistani?

Dodgy Fucker movie