Man of Steel Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2013, 02:48 PM
RE: Man of Steel Discussion
(21-06-2013 02:30 PM)kim Wrote:  
(21-06-2013 02:22 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  In Man of Steel I didn't find them to be evil so much as utilitarian. Zod was created to be the military leader of the Kryptonians and protecting and furthering the Kryptonian way of life was his sole purpose for living. The Zod faction is as evil as fighting for Truth, Justice and the American Way. One man's freedom fighter is another woman's terrorist, or something like that.

What is truth? Truth for whom?

I'm not down with that Killing at all.

Did Zod happen to look ... swarthy ... vaguely ... Persian, perhaps... Pakistani?

Dodgy Fucker movie

He looked badass!

[Image: michael-shannon-brand-new-zod.jpg]

But let's remind the kids what he looked like in 1980ish...

[Image: zod.jpg]

*cough*pussy*cough*

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
21-06-2013, 02:52 PM
(21-06-2013 12:55 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  * The way Jonathon Kent was a masochist. He disapproved when Clark saved the bus load of kids; he taught his son to let other kids push him around; and he pointlessly let himself die when he could have easily been saved. Yes, the old adage "with great power comes great responsibility" has bearing here, but it doesn't mean Clark couldn’t have stood up for himself. The golden age Superman is a direct rip-off from the 1930s novel Gladiator. In the story, the main character is born with super strength and bulletproof skin thanks to his scientist father. He is a bit of an outcast as a child, but he stands up for himself and bullies leave him alone. He goes on to be a star athlete in college. Likewise, if Clark stood up to bullies, no one would bother him. He could still have friends, participate in sports, and basically live a normal teenage life. Whoever made this fan trailer had the right idea.

He wasn't a masochist. He wanted his "son" to stray from using his powers at all so he could live a normal life, like Clark himself wanted to.

"Can't I just... keep pretending I'm your son?"

Weeping

Quote:The fact that Zod and his crew arrived on earth already with superpowers. It took Clark his entire life to amass his powers and gain control of them. Then the other Kryptonians come and have instantaneous mastery over their new abilities. This is something that always annoys me about movies of this nature. Sure, they would have been stronger than humans due to the greater gravity of Krypton, but the sunlight amplifies these abilities. There is no way they would have been on the same level as Superman since he has lived here longer. They were obviously much better fighters than him, but he would have had the advantage of being stronger, faster, and more invulnerable.

Their barrier-like helmet technology sort of filtered and protected them from the sunlight and atmosphere, allowing them to maintain their powers. One their technology was damaged or destroyed, they were vulnerable to the earth and the already-acclimate Superman.

Quote:The unnecessarily quick pace of the editing during the fight scenes. You couldn't really tell who was who.

Glasses and perception skills Cool

Quote:The new suit. Zack Snyder took away the underwear because this was a carryover from the circus strongmen of the late 19th- and early 20th-century. I understand his reasoning, but it just looked like they took Spider-man's suit and slapped a cape and an "S" on it. I'm sure they could have done something different with the design.

Henry Cavill is still sexy.
[Image: movies-man-of-steel-henry-cavill.jpg]

Quote:Clark is portrayed as a Christian, even going to a church to ask for advice. How could someone be a Christian knowing that they are an alien from another planet?

Because God and Christianity was what he was raised on earth to know, regardless that he was also aware he wasn't from earth. But it was what he was taught and comfortable with. It was all he knew, because he knew nothing of Krypton.

Quote:Why are Kryptonian bodies invulnerable to things like rockets and falling buildings, but their necks snap like balsa wood?

Kryptonian > Human constructed objects
Kryptonian = Kryptonian

Quote:If the Kryptonian ship originally came to earth 18,000 years ago, why would there be a red and blue suit on it made specifically for Superman? None of the suits shown up to that point had that particular color scheme, therefore it was not common Kryptonian fashion. It would have been more believable if they had just used the ship's technology to change an existing suit.

Didn't Cal El's baby bunker have to travel at light or warped speed or some weird shit to even get to earth? Wouldn't that have affected time in some way or another? Because I didn't understand that either. I just put the pieces together as if it were like the movie Now You See Me; always be seven steps ahead...

Smartass

(12-11-2011 08:01 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  "Love is merely chemistry" is a deception. We are merely chemistry. Love makes us master chemists.
21-06-2013, 02:56 PM
(21-06-2013 02:52 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  Their barrier-like helmet technology sort of filtered and protected them from the sunlight and atmosphere, allowing them to maintain their powers. One their technology was damaged or destroyed, they were vulnerable to the earth and the already-acclimate Superman.

I was under the impression that having a body designed for Krypton, whilst growing up on Earth meant he developed some of his powers? Not 100% sure though, I was pretty tired when I saw it.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
21-06-2013, 02:59 PM
(21-06-2013 02:56 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I was under the impression that having a body designed for Krypton, whilst growing up on Earth meant he developed some of his powers? Not 100% sure though, I was pretty tired when I saw it.

I figured he already had his powers, as all Kryptonians, but growing up on earth taught him how to maintain himself, whereas Zod and he group have their technology to somewhat protect them.

(12-11-2011 08:01 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  "Love is merely chemistry" is a deception. We are merely chemistry. Love makes us master chemists.
21-06-2013, 03:01 PM
(21-06-2013 01:55 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
Jonathan Kent be so cautious about hiding Clark's powers. He wasn't a masochist at all. He was a realist. Past Superportrayals have Kal El being celebrated at the get go as a Hero. But would he really be? Wasn't it more accurate to show the response of people finding out about him through Zod's transmission and be totally willing to hand him over? The world would go crazy to find out an alien has been living amongst us. Well, an alien besides the Reptilians, that is. I think a pragmatic Jawhawk like our Kimmies would want to keep his son's powers as secretive as possible to keep the Feds away.

I didn't suggest that he should have come out of obscurity sooner, just that he could have simply stood up to bullies and been more outgoing. He wouldn't even have to hit the bullies, just show that he wasn't afraid of them. He could have played non-contact sports like basketball and track (like the fan trailer I posted).

The scientist father of the main character from Gladiator was cautious as well. Hugo Danner hides his abilities from people for fear of being turned on for being different. He becomes a sports star in college by setting records on the track team and on the football field. He unfortunately kills a player from the opposing team during a match, causing him to quit school and become sailor (This is why I suggested non-contact sports). He doesn't unleash his full potential until the outbreak of WWI. He joins the French Foreign legion and wonders the battle field killing Germans, their mangled bodies trailing behind him on the barbed wire wrapped around him.

Quote:My Dislikes:

Perry White not being White. (Love Larry Fishburne and he did a great job, I just get tired of the inclusiveness JUST to be inclusive. You don't need to change a story just to make it look like you're culturally sensitive, do you?

I noticed that myself. I figured they did that for PC reasons. They did the same thing with Nick Fury's character. Something that missed my attention was that they switched Jimmy Olsen's gender. That girl Jenny who gets trapped under the building was his replacement.

Quote:
Product Placement. Too much iHop, 7-11 and Sears. Not enough LexCorp.

Jesus H. Christ, but there was too much talk about being 33, holding his arms out like a crucified savior and talking to a priest in his moment of doubt in front of a stained glass window of Jesus praying in the Garden of Gethsemane the night before his trial. There was a nice Evolution reference, "Evolution always wins," but it was spoken by the evil bitch, making the reference sound dubious and, well, evil.

Things that I was iffy about, but ended up liking:
Lois discovering his identity and falling in love with him. A departure from the story, but I realized I was glad he didn't have to play the game of acting like clutzy Clark and her not seeing through his "disguise" of wearing glasses.

Overall, I loved the movie. Certainly the best Superman movie since Superman II. Can we please forget 3, 4 and that Bryan Singer abortion?

More later...I'm still jacked up from seeing it last night!

Yep, I noticed how they were advertising hard in that movie. I bet IHOP has seen a rise in business. I've noted the Christian stuff here. I also like how Lois discovered his identity early on. It makes more sense than her not finding out until years later like in the comics.

I give the film a 4/5. I'm also not a big fan of the Singer movie. The addition of the son (among other stuff) turned a decent movie into crap.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
21-06-2013, 03:06 PM
(21-06-2013 02:48 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  *cough*pussy*cough*

Nuh uh.

When I want Zod, I want British Zod. Drinking Beverage That's the way I roll.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
21-06-2013, 03:08 PM
(21-06-2013 03:01 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
I noticed that myself. I figured they did that for PC reasons. They did the same thing with Nick Fury's character. Something that missed my attention was that they switched Jimmy Olsen's gender. That girl Jenny who gets trapped under the building was his replacement.

I was thinking the same thing about Nick Fury. At least they didn't use David Hasselhoff again. Dodgy

I was wondering if Jenny was supposed to be Jimmy. I was missing him as well, but figured they decided to go gender bending. I guess that's fine. She was cute. I'd rather do her than Jimmy. Thumbsup

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
21-06-2013, 03:27 PM
So, I take it... since our villain is obviously not British (ie; all cool and shit), and obviously likes science and evolution and stuff.... we can only conclude:

It is up to every American to stand up for truth, justice, and the American way by killing these evil atheists who are turning up within our midsts. Don't let them fool you with their cunning ways and bad ass looks - they spread their evil.

You must kill them. Angel In superman we trust.

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
21-06-2013, 03:29 PM
(21-06-2013 03:27 PM)kim Wrote:  So, I take it... since our villain is obviously not British (ie; all cool and shit), and obviously likes science and evolution and stuff.... we can only conclude:

It is up to every American to stand up for truth, justice, and the American way by killing these evil atheists who are turning up within our midsts. Don't let them fool you with their cunning ways and bad ass looks - they spread their evil.

You must kill them. Angel In superman we trust.

I see you've finally seen the light.

21-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Are christees going to feel all frustrated (as usual) that Superman was originally created by two Jews?

Weeping

[+] 1 user Likes kim's post