Man of Steel and evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2013, 04:38 AM
Man of Steel and evolution
I saw Man of Steel yesterday, and I was quite surprised to see that Kryptonian evolution was alluded to. When Krypton is about to be destroyed, Jor-El retrieves a very primate-like skull covered in runes from an underwater chamber. This object, known in the movie as the "codex," contains all information about Kryptonian genetics. The skull looked very similar to Australophithecus africanus.

[Image: Mrs_Ples.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like ghostexorcist's post
16-06-2013, 11:33 AM
RE: Man of Steel and evolution
Nice little evolution shout-out. If Kal El is to fit in with Homo sapiens, there would have to have been a similar line of evolution on Krypton. Although you could find a different parallel between Kal El and the Canaanite El that was father to the gods and later appropriated by the Israelites as Elohim. So it's obvious Kal El is the god of California and worshiped by the executives in Hollywood.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
16-06-2013, 12:57 PM
(16-06-2013 11:33 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Nice little evolution shout-out. If Kal El is to fit in with Homo sapiens, there would have to have been a similar line of evolution on Krypton. Although you could find a different parallel between Kal El and the Canaanite El that was father to the gods and later appropriated by the Israelites as Elohim. So it's obvious Kal El is the god of California and worshiped by the executives in Hollywood.

The odds of an alien race from a planet unfathomable distances away from Earth having the same phenotype as us is astronomical enough, let alone genotype. It's still interesting, though. I really want to know what creationists think. It probably pissed them off. There is also the line from later in the film when Zod's female lieutenant tells Superman that her kind (genetically bred soldiers) has an "evolutionary advantage" over him because they have no sense of morality. She then says that "evolution always wins." Expect some anti-evolution rant from some fundamentalist in the coming weeks. You can see the clip here:

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/20...ways-wins/
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
16-06-2013, 02:12 PM
They probably will be pissed. However, they have seriously screwy comprehension and just might twist this to the agenda. I can see a hardcore theist saying, "See? Evolution IS evil. It's used by only those who are evil, in order to spread evil."

Just trying to speculate from the fundee perspective. I may need to wash my brain out, now. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
16-06-2013, 02:27 PM
(16-06-2013 02:12 PM)kim Wrote:  They probably will be pissed. However, they have seriously screwy comprehension and just might twist this to the agenda. I can see a hardcore theist saying, "See? Evolution IS evil. It's used by only those who are evil, in order to spread evil."

Just trying to speculate from the fundee perspective. I may need to wash my brain out, now. Dodgy

True. That's why I said to expect anti-evolution rants. Someone will probably draw Darwin as a Superman villain.
16-06-2013, 02:43 PM
(16-06-2013 12:57 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(16-06-2013 11:33 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Nice little evolution shout-out. If Kal El is to fit in with Homo sapiens, there would have to have been a similar line of evolution on Krypton. Although you could find a different parallel between Kal El and the Canaanite El that was father to the gods and later appropriated by the Israelites as Elohim. So it's obvious Kal El is the god of California and worshiped by the executives in Hollywood.

The odds of an alien race from a planet unfathomable distances away from Earth having the same phenotype as us is astronomical enough, let alone genotype. It's still interesting, though.

If hundreds of billions of planets in hundreds of billions of galaxies doesn't give enough probability to account for the similarities, you could go with a pan-spermia theory, or even maybe the theory that we were seeded by the Kryptonians themselves. OR, we can even go to a multiverse theory where something like the probability for likeness isn't all that astronomical. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
16-06-2013, 04:56 PM
(16-06-2013 02:43 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  If hundreds of billions of planets in hundreds of billions of galaxies doesn't give enough probability to account for the similarities, you could go with a pan-spermia theory, or even maybe the theory that we were seeded by the Kryptonians themselves. OR, we can even go to a multiverse theory where something like the probability for likeness isn't all that astronomical. Big Grin

I've always viewed Superman as a type of plant. His strength comes from the sun. There is no difference between a red and yellow sun, so maybe something about our atmosphere allows him to photosynthesize sunlight differently than his home world. As for being compatible with humans, plants like apples, for example, have almost infinite genetic possibilities. Also, the movie states Krypton switched to genetically engineering their people centuries ago. In addition, they began to colonize the stars thousands of years ago (they did make visits to earth). Therefore, in my own little "reboot reboot," the Kryptons could have revamped their DNA to be more compatible with numerous different species.
16-06-2013, 05:09 PM
(16-06-2013 04:56 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(16-06-2013 02:43 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  If hundreds of billions of planets in hundreds of billions of galaxies doesn't give enough probability to account for the similarities, you could go with a pan-spermia theory, or even maybe the theory that we were seeded by the Kryptonians themselves. OR, we can even go to a multiverse theory where something like the probability for likeness isn't all that astronomical. Big Grin

I've always viewed Superman as a type of plant. His strength comes from the sun. There is no difference between a red and yellow sun, so maybe something about our atmosphere allows him to photosynthesize sunlight differently than his home world. As for being compatible with humans, plants like apples, for example, have almost infinite genetic possibilities. Also, the movie states Krypton switched to genetically engineering their people centuries ago. In addition, they began to colonize the stars thousands of years ago (they did make visits to earth). Therefore, in my own little "reboot reboot," the Kryptons could have revamped their DNA to be more compatible with numerous different species.

" allows him to photosynthesize sunlight differently than his home world." Huh

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
16-06-2013, 05:14 PM
(16-06-2013 05:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  " allows him to photosynthesize sunlight differently than his home world." Huh

In the movie, the gravity of Krypton is much greater and their atmosphere has a different composition. Not to give too much away, but the latter has negative effects on Superman when he is exposed to it.
16-06-2013, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 16-06-2013 05:41 PM by kim.)
(16-06-2013 04:56 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I've always viewed Superman as a type of plant. His strength comes from the sun. There is no difference between a red and yellow sun, so maybe something about our atmosphere allows him to photosynthesize sunlight differently than his home world.
Our sun is relatively young and won't be red for another 5 billion years. Superman has strong powers under our young sun. Krypton is red - makes sense that his powers wouldn't be as strong under a dying sun. Ok, makes sense to me. Blink

Ooooh - I got it - he's allergic to Krypton. I know people who are allergic to our sun but I suspect Kal El has something a teensy bit more complicated than a rash.

(16-06-2013 04:56 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Also, the movie states Krypton switched to genetically engineering their people centuries ago. In addition, they began to colonize the stars thousands of years ago (they did make visits to earth). Therefore, in my own little "reboot reboot," the Kryptons could have revamped their DNA to be more compatible with numerous different species.

I like it Thumbsup that makes fantastic sense and it's a damn good idea for a life form that knows it's star will die in a few billion years. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein